410 Review

manufacturer: Taylor date: 08/16/2006 category: Acoustic Guitars
Taylor: 410
With its large voice and rosewood-like tone and harmonics, this Dreadnought can hold its own in any situation.
 9.7
 9.8
 9.6
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
410 Reviewed by: Titus777, on august 16, 2006

Features: It's a gift from my dad and well he refused to give much information about it when I asked. This is what I can see from the cert and serial numbers from the Taylor website. It's was made in 1996 and if it was built back then it was definately made in US. Standard 21 frets. Most likely normal frets, not jumbo's in a rosewood neck. Neck has a very nice feel, small and easy to wrap your hands around the whole neck and not too fat. One piece neck instead of the "new technology" neck. If the wood used is still the same 10 years back, then the top is Solid Stitka Spruce with Ovangkol for the back and sides. Mine has a Mat finish instead of the new satin and gloss. Has Bear Claw Marks on the top which makes it look much cooler than a normal one. Has a Dreadnought body using Grover tuners. Built in normal pickups (don't really know cause it has no controls, just direct into the jack at the side of the guitar). It came with the original Hand Made Taylor Hardcase from 1996 instead of the new black ones. // 10

Sound: I use the Taylor to tackle all of my acoustic songs as it is my only acoustic guitar. I use Elixir 0.12-0.53 gauges and it sounds amazing! When you strum this baby it sings! The projection is amazing and it also sounds beautiful when finger plucked. I play jazz to power ballads on this beauty and it just captures peoples attention because of it's loud and powerfull projection! Has a warm and round sound which I particularly like as opposed to the Martin sound (I have something for warm and round sounds). I hardly plug it in but when I have to it's usually my Marshall AVT150 which doesnt't really suit or compliment it (saving for an AER). Only minor drawback with this guitar is the feedback. I have to stay quite a distance from the amp to prevent feedback. Must be because of the pickups but I won't make changes because it'll ruin the value of this guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Well for a 10 year old guitar, It's as good as new. The previous owner really kept this guitar in amazing condition and everything was perfect. Stays in tune, action is amazing it's not too low but low enough to be just nice. The neck is slightly warped back due to it's age and humidity problems here in Malaysia (very hot and humid country). And the back of the guitar is showing signs of bloating. All these are because of the weather conditions here. But again the problems may not have been here when it was first brought in. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have used this guitar for a lot gigs and played with it nearly everyday and it still sounds and feels like when I first got them. It's 10 years old 'nuff said. The hardware seems brand new and the buttons are solid. I only use this guitar as my acoustic so I won't use another as a backup cause this guitar is irreplaceable. Finish would last the ages. // 10

Overall Impression: Practicly this guitar totally suits me as it can cover everything from blues to jazz to rock to country. I may not own any other guitars but I've tried a lot of other guitars out there in the market from Martin, Maton, Fender, Takamine and even other Taylor models, but this is unique and different. This also show the difference in quality and workmanship 10 years back and now. I tried the new 410's and they had a lot of difference but all in all it still felt the same. Wished I had more information on the guitar but never regretted this guitar. Amazing gift. If it was stolen/lost I'll hunt for it with all my heart and soul because I know this guitar is irreplaceable. Love everything about it and hate only the feedback from the old pickups (not using the espression system). // 10

More Taylor reviews rating category latest review
+ 914CE 9.9 Acoustic Guitars 07/21/2014