414CE Review

manufacturer: Taylor date: 06/25/2015 category: Acoustic Guitars
Taylor: 414CE
Providing access to the upper registers of the fingerboard, the soft Venetian cutaway is both practical and attractive, while the Taylor Expression System allows you to share your music with the world.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.3
 Features: 9.7
reviews (3) pictures (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
414CE Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 11, 2008

Purchased from: ebay

Features: The guitar is confused as a dreadnought shape, however, in actual fact it is a "grand auditoriom" shape. It has 20 frets, neck width is 1 3/4 inches at the nut, and scale length is 25 1/2". The guitar has a solid spruce top. The tuners are high quality and chrome plated. The guitar came with a top of the range Taylor flight case which I'm guessing is worth atleast 100. The 414's back and sides are made of ovangkol, an exotic African hardwood said to produce a warm and deep sound. The neck is made of mahogany, and the headstock overly is made of rosewood. The top is solid spruce, and the fingerboard is ebony. // 10

Sound: This is one nice sounding guitar, especially at this price. It was warmer than most Taylors I've played, but not at the expense of the usual lively Taylor treble. The 414 is a very "liquid" sounding guitar, and it is also surprisingly loud. Although less punchy than the Taylor 310, I think it was a louder guitar overall. Sustain is also excellent in the Taylor 414. The only negative would be that the warm and enveloping bass could sometimes overwhelm the midrange and treble notes on delicate fingerpicking tunes. however sound is superb. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I purchased the guitar second hand so I'm not 100% sure if the action was altered at any stage. The action is perfect which makes playability effortless. Only flaw is the solid spruce top may be slightly more vulnerable to be marked although it is very attractive. The guitar has never seen a plectrum in it's life as myself, and the previous owner, play a finger picking style so this hasn't been a problem. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very reliable and would easily withstand gigs. The brand, Taylor, make high quality guitars and this one is no different. Guitar has been gigged with before with the previous owner and appears to be in almost perfect condition with minimal damage (small nick on the body, barely noticeable). // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is great for a range of styles although I prodominantly play bluegrass/country. The guitar sounds great amplified through my Marshall MG100DFX which isnt even an acoustic amplifier. I also purchased a Fishman GII EQ which fits the style of the guitar perfectly and increases the quality of the already excellent tone. If this guitar was stolen or lost I would most certainly go out and purchase a new one as it's simply the best guitar I have ever played. I have played many top of the range guitars but this one edges it. I would compare it to the Martin D-16 or the Larrivee D-04 simply because they are similar in price and great guitars. I beleive every guitarist should experince the warmth and depth this guitar produces, cheers. // 9

414CE Reviewed by: wdostrander, on may 12, 2014

Price paid: $ 1999

Purchased from: GC

Features: Sitka spruce top, solid Ovangkol sides and back, ebony fretboard and bridge and pins, rosewood headstock overlay, mahogany neck, mother of pearl inlays, Taylor tuners. Comes with hardside case. Taylor Expression pickup system (volume, treble, bass). Fit and finish are really nice. I have found nowhere where I thought this axe could stand to have had a bit more attention to detail. I would like to have had a bit more latitude with the pickup system but it sounds pretty good run through a preamp. Set-up was exceptional right out of the box. // 9

Sound: I play bluegrass, country and gospel/Christian. I run mine through a tube preamp to add a bit of sparkle and then straight into the soundboard. Where this axe shines is acoustic sound though. While recording, I just mic it. Nice clear highs and lows with some nice mid undertones thrown into the mix. Volume is perfect across the neck. The top is incredibly responsive. I was playing mine under a ceiling fan and was getting a vibrato from the fan breeze. Not had that one happen before. The sound quality doesn't compare to high end acoustics like Naugler or Collings or Olsens, etc. But for $2K it is really nice. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Set-up was PERFECT out of the box. I wouldn't change a thing. With .012 gauge E string (Elixir Nanoweb) installed from the factory, it plays much like an acoustic with .010's. The inlays are perfect. Taylor uses CNC machines to make their inlays perfect. The top is a gloss finish which is nicely applied. The neck, back and sides are a satin finish which will be nice for warmer weather playing. Nicely chosen bearclaw sitka spruce top and well matched ovangkol back and sides. The mahogany neck is totally from the same piece of wood. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've only owned mine for a few months - no issues. However, I know of two others in my area that are road tested and have stood the test of time well. They look a bit worn and slightly bruised but I am told that they have had no issue whatsoever with theirs. It appears to me that there is no place that will need attention in the near future. I will be taking the 414 on the road with me and feel fairly secure in not having to bring along a backup. The included hardside case is fairly snug and won't let the guitar do any flopping around inside of it. I guess the only down side I can think of would be the case MAYBE. I would like to see a little heavier latch system on the case but they seem fairly acceptable for now. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing professionally for 20+ years and this is my new BUDDY. I can leave the really expensive guitars at home and use the 414 in their place without sacrificing much in the way of sound quality. The 414 gives bluegrass a bit of a different type sound but it is a nice match in my opinion. I would use it for any type of music. I love how playable it is and the sound is nice. The vibration from the back can be intoxicating. I would most definitely buy another if something catastrophic happened to this one. I might look for one with the Expression2 system but the first type is acceptable. // 10

414CE Reviewed by: Taylor214cedlx, on june 25, 2015

Purchased from: A local shop

Features: Year: 2014. Made in: Mexico. Has 22 frets. Sitka Spruce top. Ovangkol which is a beautiful Africa wood and it really makes a good high end and beautiful low in. Body style is Gradautitorum Cutaway. The home town store I bought it from sold it to me with there custom gig bag and the case that the guitar itself came with also came with there custom Strap and a Monster cable. They give you option 2 bags of any picks they have and 1 pair of extra elixir string also a warranty for 6 months where they will fix anything on it and replace it if they have too. // 10

Sound: The sound is quick and last at the same time really amazing on high end and pretty good on low end. It is a beautiful sound but being a cut away it's just not as full body as it could be. I play 214CE DLX and the which is also a cut away and I dare say It has a more vibrant tone then this 414CE. Never the less it is still very amazing guitar. It really shows every note while playing fingerstyle. Very vibrant matches perfect with a band and a singer. The guitar can make any sound you want some better then other though on the high end you can crank them out with ease but on the low end they a little bit harder to hammer out some of the notes you want. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is set up very well I had the action lower'd to fit my playing style. The fit isn't the best it kind of sits awkwardly. The only flaw I could see is a little dent in the finish but I'm sure that came after the fact in the store. Other wise the finish seemed to be hand rub and very thin which personally the finish doesn't change much for me as long as it plays well. The bride was a little loose also from apparently a small accident at the store but they fixed it no problem. The bracing is a little loose but still pretty sturdy from the bridge so they left that. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Now this is where this guitar takes the cake for me. I play in a church band and for the last 3 to 4 weeks I've played it as hard as I can and it has held up it comes with great elixir strings that are easy on the hands and just amazing tone. The electric side of this guitar is okay nothing crazy but very stout seems like it will survive a long time. There are 3 knobs on the top they seem a little flimsy but haven't given me any trouble they control high tone low tone and volume. You can diffidently trust this Guitar to play all night long gigs. Leave the backup at home. The finish seems thin but pretty strong and clean there is a dent in the finish from the store but the finish is still strong there just dented the finish not the wood so from that I would say it'll last quite a while. // 9

Overall Impression: I play country and southern gospel in which this is perfect fit for both. I have been playing for 4 years I own a Taylor 214ce a Segualhand crafted from Quebec. A Olympia Handmade no model #. Also a Fender Stratocaster and a Fender Telecaster. A LXK2-Mini from Martin, a Yamaha F335. Fisher acoustic amp and a Orange 20X amp. No the store I bought from really set me up good. If this was stolen I would go back to my 214CE because it was cheaper and plays just as well. I love the looks and sound I hate that I could have gotten same looks for about 1, 000 dollars less. I give it 6 overall since you could get the same thing for much much less. // 6

More Taylor reviews rating category latest review
+ GS Mini 8.9 Acoustic Guitars 09/09/2015