714CE Review

manufacturer: Taylor date: 01/03/2005 category: Acoustic Guitars
Taylor: 714CE
Combining the full-bodied sound of Indian rosewood with the responsiveness of a Western Red cedar top creates this fingerstyle workhorse. Equipped with the Taylor Expression System and cutaway, this Grand Auditorium guitar shines in any venue.
 7.9
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
714CE Reviewed by: strumntheguitar, on january 03, 2005

Purchased from: Local Guitar Shop (Fret Mill)

Features: I was going to buy the 714 which comes with a cut out body and the expressions system but I just went with the 714 because it was a bit cheaper. It has 20 frets on an ebony fretboard. The sides are made of Indian rosewood, which looks amazing. I love the look of that. The top is made of a western red Cedar which is also really cool looking. It's got a gloss finish to it that just looks amazing. The case that comes with it is awesome too. Very securing. The guitar literally pops into place in the case. // 10

Sound: What else needs to be said other than "It's a Taylor?" The finish is amazing and sounds great with fingerpicking and strumming with a pick. The guitar produces an amazing sound even with the lightest of plucks of a string. Very rich tone to it and I love the bass to it as well. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action I think is just low enough to where there is no fret buzz which I love. I personally can't stand high action on any guitars. I haven't found any flaws in the guitar yet, but I keep extremely good care of it. I use a humidifier and polish it and everything. I was playing around up on the very high frets like the 18th and up on it and it wasn't quite as rich of a tone as the others, but the guitar isn't meant to be played up there since it isn't a cutaway. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had this guitar long enough to know if it will last forever, but it comes with a lifetime warranty and with proper care I don't see this guitar losing it's tone any time soon. The case is incredibly protective and can withstand drops and stuff like that. I am definitely using this guitar for any gig with no need for a backup. The finish is amazing on it and does not come off with scratches or anything. So far it is even more than what I've expected. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this guitar more than any guitar I've played. I like to play a variety of music from blues to acoustic rock and this suits everything. It sounds great when using a slide and is very versatile. I can't find much wrong with it so far. I compared this guitar to Martins, Seagulls, and other models of Taylors and chose this because of the wonderful sound and versatility of it. Not to mention the type of wood and finish makes this guitar look amazing. It is well worth the price of it and I would have probably payed more if I had to. The only thing I wish it had was the cutaway body with the expression system. // 10

More Taylor reviews rating category latest review
+ GS Mini 8.8 Acoustic Guitars 03/05/2014