815CE Review

manufacturer: Taylor date: 01/12/2009 category: Acoustic Guitars
Taylor: 815CE
With a cutaway blazing a path to the upper registers and the Expression System opening all the tonal gates, the 815CE's potential for music-making is almost limitless.
 8.8
 7.5
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this gear:
815CE Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 06, 2006

Price paid: $ 1950

Features: 2004 model, nice jumbo sized. I'm sure you can find all the details on how it looks/features are @ taylorguitars.com The carvings on the frets and the 800-series pearl in-lay is awesome to look at simply, and the tuners are Taylor made gold coating with ebony wood tuner knobs, very hot. There is no word to describe it! When you sit down outside and play that guitar you'll get noticed, but not cause you are pretty but cause the guitar just stands out. The case is also a heavy duty case that comes with a humidfier, so that's a big plus too cause you can look cool carrying that case around. // 10

Sound: I love progressive heavy strumming and some finger picking (might want to change from medium to light strings if you really wanna pick, I personally found it little bit harder to pick with those medium gauges cause I don't got very strong or big hands), which is what I need mostly for acoustic rock music and some variations of alternative music. This guitar fits the mold perfectly. It gives such a nice bright full sound when you strum it as loud as you want. I use medium elixer strings, cause all I really like to do is strumming on this guitar. When you strum on it, it feels like nothing I ever owned before. It gives a gorgeous bright sound that just fills a small room with its vibrant sounds. Not to mention the expression system. I've heard alot of people complain about hot strings on the Taylor expression. Let me just say when I hooked it up to a amp and beat the shit out of it 2hrs straight before I bought the guitar, it worked fine and it sounded absolutely great. The acoustic sound is undeniably good especially the bass notes. However, because I use medium gauge strings, around the 9th fret, it will start giving out buzz sounds if say u press 9th fret and press down 12th fret and pluck the string, then release the 12th fret finger while leaving the 9th fret finger on it will give the buzzing sound. Maybe if you had a light string it wouldn't do that? Let's hope so other than that, I have had a Gibson J-200, which cost $400 more than this and it doesn't have electric input and doesn't come anywhere near this guitar in term of sound in my opinion because I played the shit out of the J-200 (2004 model) also and it didn't feel as good as the Taylor 15CE. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything top notch, the only problem is most likely gonna be the fact you will never wanna beat on it too much cause its such a great guitar and u might be afraid of damaging it even though it can take a heavy beating @ local performance or whatever. When I first got it, I thought it was just awesome fit guitar. It's like sort of having a guitar so good you can just sit there strumming just 1 single chord all day and it feels good just listening to the tones the guitar produces. The Taylor 15CE is that good, I mean, the first day I got it I sat up all night playing it cause I was too excited and coudln't go to sleep. When I first played the guitar at the local store I knew I had to have one, even if that was $300 over my price budget. It's a ridiculously cool/sounding guitar. Trust me when I say it is worth every penny you going to spend on this. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've known people who beat the shit out of their high end taylors at gigs 2-3 times a week plugged into a amp. However, the problem with that is you'll wanna change battery pretty often to keep up with it all. Other than that, this guitar will last if you take care of it. A good tip would be even if it does get a little dirty you do not wanna polish it, cause over polishing could dull the finish. So don't over polish it like every night or soemthing. // 10

Overall Impression: Well, overall impression I would have to say, when I got it I treated it better than I did to most women I've had in my life, it is that good my friend. I've had a range of guitar from beginner guitars from Peavy to Gibsons and Breedlove and Takamine. This is by far the most ridiculously good guitar I've had. I got it also at a bargain price for $1950 so if I someone stole it, I would buy another one, but I probably kill the person who stole it and get it back. Let me just say, when I saw this guitar in the store and played it, then tested 20 some other guitars ranging from gibsons to martins to takamines, there was nothing this good in the $2000 price range as this one. All I gotta say is even if it only cost me $1950 I would've paid more if I had to in order to get this guitar. Let me tell you, I was nervous buying it cause it cost $2, 000 and I never owned a Taylor before, but 30 min after I got it, went home and played it, all my doubts was erased. It was so good that it was actually worth giving up my $5k kawasaki rx-500 for it cause I might not have a ride but atleast I'll have this amazing piece of music instrument that probably is my favorite toy in the world. I mean I can just go on all day about this guitar, but I think I'll just shut up now and hopefully I've convinced you to buy this amazing guitar cause it really is what it says it is and more. I mean when I had guitar class, I went in with it, pretty much all the people there was like 'OMG, Woot!' type reaction so you can imagine how great this is. // 10

815CE Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 12, 2009

Purchased from: Sweetwater Music

Features: This is a 2008 Taylor 15CE. You can get all the specs on the Taylor website. Natural finish, acoustic-electric with Taylor's patented electronic system. Jumbo shape, Taylor tuners, Elixir strings, and a fairly decent hardshell case. I'm having an anvil-like case made for it because this jewel will be seeing a lot of airports. // 10

Sound: I play just about anything with strings. For quite some time I have been in a "phase" of playing my Rory Gallagher Strat, and coming back to acoustic takes a few days to acclamate, especially getting my calouses back. With the incredible tone quality coming out of this Taylor, I have a sneaking suspicion that my callouses will jump back in no time because it will command my time and my chops will improve by leaps and bounds, which will make the Taylor sing even more. A win-win situation! I'll jockey around with amps, right now I'm going to start off with my SWR California Blonde II. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I am proud to call myself a musician, and specifically a guitar player. I've been playing for going on 50 years. I've often thought that I'd take a good guitar over most women gladly. Guitars don't ask where you've been or tell you to pick up your socks. They wait patiently for you and will see you through the darkest of times. They are the best of friends. That being said, I've seen my share of great axes over the years. I've bought and sold enough to give any guitar shop inventory a run for it's money. I've often enjoyed the tone and playing ability of Taylor guitars in general, although I've never owned one. I finally took the plunge and purchased the 15CE. This is a jumbo with the "pointed" florentine cut-out (so often you see pictures of something that is advertised as the 15CE, but is actually the 814ce with the "rounded-over" florentine cut-out). The tone and playability of this guitar is so soul-filling that I have yet to amplify it. I'll get back to you on that one. This is what all players aspire to. It's what you put all those hours of practice in for, to be good enough to justify spending this kind of money on a guitar. To describe it as a masterpiece of not only the luthiers craft, but also heart-filling in it's sound isn't good enough, it's not accurate in it's description. Personally, when I look for an acoustic, I look for a jumbo, because the bell of jumbo resonates the low-end the way I like it. A good acoustic will not only chime with a shimmering high-end, but should fill a room with sound when you really lay into it for emphasis on the low-end. This Taylor delivers exactly that. My playing range is wide, you name it and I do it. This Taylor excels at challenging pieces such as the acoustic Led Zeppelin pieces, for example. It rocks, it talks, it cries, and it laughs. It delivers emotion and as a musician, that should be where your finish line is. I demand a lot out of my guitars, as they ultimately are my musical voice. This Taylor 15CE represents money well spent as far as I am concerned. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Live playing? We'll see. If I'm playing electric, I can toss a Strat around a stage with the best of them. Playing acoustic, I generally like to be seated on a bar stool, and if the piece I'm playing allows for full-strumming to really knock a chord out, I'll stand and kick over the stool. This Taylor certainly feels strong enough to follow my shadow. That's saying something. I never play in public without a back-up. It's a default ritual, because I normally enjoy playing both electric and acoustic on stage. This guitar, from a luthier standpoint, was designed with a tremendous amount of thought and experience put into it. Simply put, Taylor is right there at the top for American craftsmanship in guitar-making. Everything about it, down to the smallest of details has been designed to the "nth" degree. It's the stuff of dreams. Truly, it is. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been at this game for a while. Although I born to rock and roll, I've come to appreciate that truly good music has range. From steamroller power chords that shake your pantlegs, to delicate and intricate acoustic pieces, my prefence is a combination of both which is why I enjoy Led Zep as much as I do. When you consider a range from songs like "The Immigrant Song" and "Kashmir" to acoustic dreamscapes like "Over The Hills and Far Away" and "The Rain Song", that's the stuff I dig as do the boys that I regularly play with. My inventory of instruments and gear is impressive, but you'd expect that from someone Who has been playing as long as I have. No need to submit my resume, but like women, it's doesn't take me long anymore to pick the goods ones from the bad ones. The Taylor 15CE is a slam-dunk, a no-brainer. Like most things in life, the good stuff costs more. Normally, I have no problem paying for quality, it's when I pay for it and don't get it that I get pissed off. Taylor is quality. Period. Ever test drove a hot car wiht the salesman in the passenger seat and asked to get on the freeway so that you can put your foot into it? When I've done that with the Taylor 15CE, it seems to smile and say, "Very nice. What else do you got?" And off we go... Would I buy another if I had to? Hard to say. Life is short. There's lots of good guitars out there, and at the end of the day I suppose my Quest is to play as many of them as I can get my hands on. What I can say though, is there is a good word... one that comes close to describing this guitar in one simple thought. Unforgettable. // 10

More Taylor reviews rating category latest review
+ GS Mini 8.8 Acoustic Guitars 03/05/2014