914CE Review

9.9
 9.7
reviews (2) 4 comments vote for this gear:
914CE Reviewed by: youstarguitar, on july 21, 2014

Features: Taylor 914CE (made in 2014).

- Size/Shape: Grand Auditorium enhanced with Venetian Cutaway: Mid-Sized with multi-dimensional tones. Brilliantly satisfies a large spectrum of styles and is perfect for both finger style & strumming.
- Wood: Back & sides: Solid Indian Rosewood for deeper lows and brighter highs with a sweeping mid-range. A traditional highly sought after tone wood. Top: Solid Sitka Spruce which makes a perfect sound board that provides a dynamic range of glorious sound. Bracing: CV Bracing- only on higher end models for stronger, fuller, fatter sound. Neck- Solid Tropical Mahogany that's satin finished smooth & comfortable.
- Electronics: Expression System 2: Taylor's most advanced electronic amplification technology. The ES2 blossoms a clean professional grade sound that delivers beautifully. The ES2 also boasts 3 separate sensors with equalization monitoring to ensure the highest quality output available. This is what an acoustic should sound like when plugged in.

Appointments include:

My 914CE came with custom Shaded Edge Burst: Different color scheme than optional Tobacco Sunburst or Honey Burst. The color design provides a nice transition from the darker Indian Rosewood sides to the lighter Sitka Spruce top. It also makes the Abalone trim/inlay pop with sparkle & shine.

914CE comes with lots of Bling Bling:

- Abalone Trim: surrounding the sound hole, body, and end of neck.
- Cindy Inlay: Unique inlay design at each fret marker.
- Mother of Pearl: Taylor custom design headstock art.
- Gloss Ebony headstock cover.
- Dots on Pins with Ebony Bridge
- Red Purling Binding Accents

Other Appointments:

- Antique Gold 510 Gotoh Tuners
- Bone Nut & Saddle for a cleaner deeper sustained sound
- Flatter Fretboard for perfect action & playability. Makes barre chords a breeze!!!
- Premium Hard-shell Case
- Elixir Nanoweb HD light strings. // 10

Sound: I did lots & lots of research prior to making such a large purchase for a guitar. My #1 priority was sound quality. I wanted sweet deep lows that deliver the right amount of bass. I like clean highs that sizzles & sustain with balance. I play rock, blues, jazz, & country.I sometimes finger pick, but mostly pick strum & arpeggio. The 914CE is amazing when plugged in. I just use an acoustic amp I got at Guitar Center a few years ago. It's clean & nice. The new ES2 system blows away the older system. It was a major difference when compared. The acoustic actually sounded like an acoustic. It didn't have those strange amped sounds of unbalanced notes with mixed high & lows. The balance and clarity was full & rich with authenticity. The 914CE is so wonderfully smooth and pure. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Concerning Action, Fit, & Finish; expect nothing but perfection at this level. Taylor does a superb job finishing a work of art. I mean, they make high quality guitars that sounds superior, plays like a dream, & looks stunningly gorgeous at the same time. If your budget doesn't quite permit a 914CE, then the next best thing to get great sound & quality is the 714CE. It doesn't have all the bells & whistles of a 914CE, but the 714CE sounds & plays very nice when comparing. Both are in their own class, but when budgets are concerned the 714CE will be worth checking out. I don't work for Taylor or anyone who does; I'm just providing my opinion based on my playing style & the sound their guitars display. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Reliability & Durability goes without question. The 914CE is solid. Look inside and compare its bracing and overall construction with any guitar in the same class. You will see & feel the difference in construction. While you're looking inside the soundhole you should not only notice it's built like a tank, but all the bracing has rounded edges for smoother sound reflection. Every detail is exactly perfect. My and a friend who knows guitars very well looked it over real good. We were trying to find something wrong with it, but the more we tried the more I fell in love with it. // 10

Overall Impression: With such perfect tonewoods & construction design, the sound of the 914CE should be witnessed first hand. Go play one! It has a wonderful feel with a medium size & shape of body. The fretboard is fantastic & smooth. Taylor 914CE met the priorities of what I wanted to just sit, relax & play a fine instrument. Its beauty is astonishing & the sound & playability is something that's absolutely phenomenal. I searched & searched "high end" guitars all over many big & small retailers. I played everything I could get my hands on. Nothing came close! // 10

914CE Reviewed by: thomas6655, on march 31, 2015

Price paid: C$ 5059

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Features: I have a 914CE made in early 2014. The thing is absolutely gorgeous. The Indian Rosewood back and sides with a Sitka Spruce top looks gorgeous. There's not much in terms of features on this acoustic aside from the ES2 transducer, and there doesn't need to be. The beauty of this guitar is how well constructed and designed it is. The Gotoh 510 tuners never budge and are the smoothest tuners I've ever used. The ES2 system is fantastic and holds up against any other top-line transducer I've heard. For those looking for a little flair, the Cindy inlays look amazing and impress everyone I've shown the guitar to. // 10

Sound: The sound of this guitar is something to die for. I still remember the first chord I played, and how impressed I was with the sustain and reverberation. The natural volume of the guitar is fantastic and I often have to hold back a little to avoid drowning out other acoustic guitars during jam sessions. The sound is very full, to the extent where you can hear the character of each note in every chord. The variety in sounds is stunning as well, the guitar is very responsive. I have noticed that the reverberation is not quite as good when fingerpicking as it is with strumming, but it is still fantastic compared to other guitars I have played - and I've played a lot. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Not much to say really. It was flawless through and through, as you would expect for the price. I've checked the entire binding and there is not a single place where the lines aren't perfect. The inlays are so well done. The action is what you would expect from a Taylor, not too high and not too low. It's designed to play easily and it really does. I've noticed a little inconsistencies with intonation along the fretboard (a few cents at most), but my guitar was sitting in a music store for a few months before I picked it up. I plan on getting it fixed up soon and hopefully that fixes any issues. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Everything is still in fantastic condition and seems like it will last a very, very long time. The only thing worth noting is that the finish is a little too perfect, and I've had to be very careful when jamming not to scratch the body with my pick lest I damage it. There are a few marks already, but that's to be expected. They just stand out more because the rest of the guitar is so perfect. The only thing that I dislike about the reliability of this guitar is that the pickup is active, so you always need a spare battery. I would never need to bring a spare guitar though, the electronics system is really solid and I have had no problems with string breakage yet, and I am pretty infamous for breaking strings when I get into it. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing guitar for 12 years and wanted to upgrade to a top class acoustic, and the 914CE was a fantastic all round choice. It's a bit pricey, but if you can find the cash it is worth every penny. I play a lot of different types of music, from singer/songwriter stuff to traditional jazz and this thing does everything exceptionally. I love the aesthetics, and the sound even more. I would buy this guitar 100 times over if I had the choice. The bottom line is that this is a fantastic instrument that I would highly recommend to anyone interested in a really, really top end guitar. // 10

More Taylor reviews rating category latest review
+ 110CE 8.3 Acoustic Guitars 02/17/2015