914CE Review

9.9
 9.7
review (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
914CE Reviewed by: youstarguitar, on july 21, 2014

Features: Taylor 914CE (made in 2014).

- Size/Shape: Grand Auditorium enhanced with Venetian Cutaway: Mid-Sized with multi-dimensional tones. Brilliantly satisfies a large spectrum of styles and is perfect for both finger style & strumming.
- Wood: Back & sides: Solid Indian Rosewood for deeper lows and brighter highs with a sweeping mid-range. A traditional highly sought after tone wood. Top: Solid Sitka Spruce which makes a perfect sound board that provides a dynamic range of glorious sound. Bracing: CV Bracing- only on higher end models for stronger, fuller, fatter sound. Neck- Solid Tropical Mahogany that's satin finished smooth & comfortable.
- Electronics: Expression System 2: Taylor's most advanced electronic amplification technology. The ES2 blossoms a clean professional grade sound that delivers beautifully. The ES2 also boasts 3 separate sensors with equalization monitoring to ensure the highest quality output available. This is what an acoustic should sound like when plugged in.

Appointments include:

My 914CE came with custom Shaded Edge Burst: Different color scheme than optional Tobacco Sunburst or Honey Burst. The color design provides a nice transition from the darker Indian Rosewood sides to the lighter Sitka Spruce top. It also makes the Abalone trim/inlay pop with sparkle & shine.

914CE comes with lots of Bling Bling:

- Abalone Trim: surrounding the sound hole, body, and end of neck.
- Cindy Inlay: Unique inlay design at each fret marker.
- Mother of Pearl: Taylor custom design headstock art.
- Gloss Ebony headstock cover.
- Dots on Pins with Ebony Bridge
- Red Purling Binding Accents

Other Appointments:

- Antique Gold 510 Gotoh Tuners
- Bone Nut & Saddle for a cleaner deeper sustained sound
- Flatter Fretboard for perfect action & playability. Makes barre chords a breeze!!!
- Premium Hard-shell Case
- Elixir Nanoweb HD light strings. // 10

Sound: I did lots & lots of research prior to making such a large purchase for a guitar. My #1 priority was sound quality. I wanted sweet deep lows that deliver the right amount of bass. I like clean highs that sizzles & sustain with balance. I play rock, blues, jazz, & country.I sometimes finger pick, but mostly pick strum & arpeggio. The 914CE is amazing when plugged in. I just use an acoustic amp I got at Guitar Center a few years ago. It's clean & nice. The new ES2 system blows away the older system. It was a major difference when compared. The acoustic actually sounded like an acoustic. It didn't have those strange amped sounds of unbalanced notes with mixed high & lows. The balance and clarity was full & rich with authenticity. The 914CE is so wonderfully smooth and pure. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Concerning Action, Fit, & Finish; expect nothing but perfection at this level. Taylor does a superb job finishing a work of art. I mean, they make high quality guitars that sounds superior, plays like a dream, & looks stunningly gorgeous at the same time. If your budget doesn't quite permit a 914CE, then the next best thing to get great sound & quality is the 714CE. It doesn't have all the bells & whistles of a 914CE, but the 714CE sounds & plays very nice when comparing. Both are in their own class, but when budgets are concerned the 714CE will be worth checking out. I don't work for Taylor or anyone who does; I'm just providing my opinion based on my playing style & the sound their guitars display. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Reliability & Durability goes without question. The 914CE is solid. Look inside and compare its bracing and overall construction with any guitar in the same class. You will see & feel the difference in construction. While you're looking inside the soundhole you should not only notice it's built like a tank, but all the bracing has rounded edges for smoother sound reflection. Every detail is exactly perfect. My and a friend who knows guitars very well looked it over real good. We were trying to find something wrong with it, but the more we tried the more I fell in love with it. // 10

Overall Impression: With such perfect tonewoods & construction design, the sound of the 914CE should be witnessed first hand. Go play one! It has a wonderful feel with a medium size & shape of body. The fretboard is fantastic & smooth. Taylor 914CE met the priorities of what I wanted to just sit, relax & play a fine instrument. Its beauty is astonishing & the sound & playability is something that's absolutely phenomenal. I searched & searched "high end" guitars all over many big & small retailers. I played everything I could get my hands on. Nothing came close! // 10

More Taylor reviews rating category latest review
+ 414CE 8.9 Acoustic Guitars 05/12/2014