Big Baby Review

manufacturer: Taylor date: 07/12/2012 category: Acoustic Guitars
Taylor: Big Baby
The Baby Taylor's big sibling, a 15/16-scale Dreadnought with a solid Sitka spruce top and sapele-laminate back and sides, boasts a surprisingly full voice, comes with a lightweight gig bag for easy portability, and makes a trusty companion wherever you go, even if it's just to the couch.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.8
 Features: 8.8
 8.9
 8.8
reviews (10) pictures (2) 11 comments vote for this gear:
Big Baby Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 11, 2005

Features: This is an '05 model. Made in the good old USA, 20 frets bolt on neck, spruce top. 15/16 the size of a normal dreadnought. Non-locking turners and no electronics. You're basic acoustic guitar. Really light and a bit smaller then the normal acoustic. // 9

Sound: This is where this thing shines. This is probably the best Taylor I have played. I compared it to other Martins and Taylors in the store and it simply had sound that was a lot better in clarity tone and richness. The Big Baby doesnt even get noisy at all. This Taylor is really cool for my style (I play modern rock, classic rock, jazz and a bit of screamo/emo). For the sound you get out of this thing it should cost 4 times as much. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish was one of the best looking spruce tops I had ever seen in my life. The action was not bad either its really low and not way in the air like some acoustics I've had the dishonor of playing. No flaws as far as the eyes can see. So it basically came set up fine right out of the store. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems like it can take a beating and then some. I use this as my main acoustic now. I would depend on it I had no other guitar in the world to use for a up-coming gig. The finish looks like it will last if you take care of it. The strap buttons seem to be good the only thing I dont like is its a bit big for some straps to fit. // 9

Overall Impression: I have always wanted a Taylor but I could never justify forking out 1500 grand to get one. The Big Baby is a fraction of that and I get a the sound I want and then some from this. I have played everything but different forms of metal and country on this thing and it seems like it fit any style. I compared this to some of the 1500 hundred Taylors in the store and honestly it sounds alot better then them. I've been playing for 5 years and I have an ear for good tone and this thing has good tone. If you're looking for a nice acoustic that can be taken to the beach or be your main axe for those tender acoustic moments then this is it. The only thing I dont like are the strap buttons because they're a bit big for normal straps. If this where stolen then I would hunt down whoever stole it and force them to listen to Britney Spears and Good Charlotte and then proceed to beating him over the head with one of my effect pedals and take the guitar back from his cold lifeless hands. // 10

Big Baby Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 12, 2012

Price paid: C$ 500

Purchased from: Tom Lee

Features: The Big Baby guitar was made in Mexico, has 20 frets, and is absolutely gorgeous. Also, comes with that original Taylor Guitars gig bag. Love it! Simple/Country-looking guitar, very clean. // 9

Sound: My style is country (from Faith Hill to Taylor Swift) and pop (current music), and the oldies such as The Beatles. I'm a big Taylor Swift fan, and I find that the sound of guitar played in her songs sounds almost exactly like how it sounds with this guitar! Especially with her song "Come In With The Rain": D, A, EM, G (with a few pinky placements on the 3rd fret for the first 3 notes) sounds very similar. I love the sound of this guitar! I don't play metal or rock so I'm not sure how it sounds with that. Hopefully good though? Also, it's not noisy. Perfect and clean sounding. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Nothing wrong with it. I bought it brand new after trying it for the first time in my local TOM LEE Music Store. I fell in love with it right away. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think so, it's pretty loud (loud - not noisy!), especially when you strum it hard enough. I can definitely depend on it, only thing is that sometimes it's hard switching chords quickly while singing. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I love it alot! My very first Taylor. I wanted a baby Taylor but thought that'd be too small. This is perfect for singer-songwriters as well, like myself. It's got the perfectish tone to it. I also think it's good for some beginners (the ones who learn fast and/or are committed) because it doesn't take getting used to. Sounds good with pop and country and country-pop music! It's something I'd play if I were trying to write a song, or LOVE LOVE LOVE THE BIG BABY! *I still need to come up with a name for it. I'm thinking Juliet? // 9

Big Baby Reviewed by: KC_Volcom, on april 17, 2006

Purchased from: ebay

Features: The guitar is a 6 steel string Taylor Big Baby 15/16 scale dreadnought. I'm not sure of the date of manufacture, but the previous owner had had this guitar for about half a year before I bought it (14/04/06). It was made in the good ol' US of A in Taylor's factory in El Cajon, California. The guitar has 20 frets. The top is made of sitka spruce, and the soundhole rosette is laser-cut. The sides and back are manufactured of sapele laminate, the neck of tropical american mahogany and the fretboard and bridge of ebony. The guitar has a varnish finish. The bridge is in the classic 'peghead' acoustic style. No pickups or electronics are included, but a pickup can be easily installed by fitting a new pickup's jack into the endpin. The tuners are unbranded, enclosed, die-cast and chrome plated. The guitar is includewith a gig bag, truss rod adjustment tool, Taylor's 'tech sheets' on the symptoms of a dry guitar, a wet guitar, using a guitar humidifier, or dampit, and truss rodadjustments. Additional tech sheets (in the filetype.PDF) are availiable at www.taylorguitars.com along with video clips showing different guitar maintenance tips. The guitar is fitted with 'NANOWEB' coated light gauge strings. This 'NANOWEB' polymer is used to prolong the life and tone of the strings. Bob Taylor himself has said that he has not changed the strings on his personal Taylor in his ofice for 7 months! The guitar is built using good materials and is definitely not a cheap copy of the more expensive taylors. As I am a slightly smaller player so the 15/16 scale is perfect for me. A hard case would have been nice but I'm not complaining. // 8

Sound: Well, what a noise! Considering that it is smaller than its larger Taylor dreadnought counterparts, and it comes with quite thin strings, the level of sound is more than acceptable. Its dreadnought body and the fact that the strings are phosphor-bronze produces Taylor's authentic bright tone. And, this tone lasts, thanks to the 'NANOWEB' coating. I'm sure that this guitar could produce a wide variety of sounds depending on the positioning of the listener and type/positioning of the mic. I think that the guitar could be easily suitable for picking, fingerpicking, hybrid or flatpicking, even though I'm really a plectrum/fingerpicking only player. It is suitable to my rocky chordy style! This is my first acoustic guitar, so to be honest I don't have that much to compare it to, but all other guitars I have hears, this comes up trumps. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I can't say how well the setup was at the factory, but when it came to me it appeared to be in perfect condition and well setup. The action was low, as most Taylor guitars are. There appeared to be no signs of warpage, dryness or wetness. The bridge was perfect, not bent forward but not back bowed. No truss adjustment was needed. The tuners were smooth moving and nottoo sensitive. All materials and hardware were in perfect condition. At a closer look I did see that there was a small nick at the edge of the guitar betwwen the top and side. Also, the polymer of the strings had begun to fray a bit over the soundhole, where strumming has occured (bearing in mind however that these strings are 6 months old). I'm going togive it a 10 because these were flaws which occured after Taylor had sent the guitar off, when the previous owner had been using the guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar could easily withstand live playing of any sort, I believe. All wood and hardware seems very durable and that it will last may 5 houred playing sessions! The strap buttons are fairly large and solid. I think that a lot of people believe that Taylors are less durable and more flimsy than other guitars because of their stress on guitar care and correct humidification. This is definitely not the case. The simple fact is that Taylor acknowledge that acoustic gutars have certain requirements in terms of humidification and mainteneance, when other guitar companies do not. // 10

Overall Impression: I play general rock, blues and some jazz. I really don't think that guitars are particularly tied to any kind of music or genre. It's all about the playing man! I have been playing for about two years and I also own a Fender telecaster custom electric guitar, which is my pride and joy. I have bugger all amplification (apart from a Yamaha GA-10 which I bought for about a tenner, I hope to get a nice old valve amp sometime). The only effect I have is a modded Boss DS-1 Distortion. If this was lost or if some punk nabbed iot then I'd probably get it again, or perhaps a higher level Taylor with a pickup. I really like its pick-it-up-and-play-with-it-on-the-couch-ness. The strings last a lifetime and sound good. It's just a sweet sounding simple guitar. Like I say, I would prefer it with a hard case and pickup, but I knew when I bought it what it would consist of, and anyway it is easy to install a pickup/buy a hard case. Overall, a really nice playing and sounding acoustic guitar for the money, brilliant! // 9

Big Baby Reviewed by: catmat12345, on february 20, 2007

Features: This guitar deserves grosses bises, as it is one of my all time favorites after playing for awhile. It's got a super-thin neck with 27 frets. I found this configuration odd, as it often cramped my hands if I played for long hours. It's a solid body acoustic with a solid, laminated top. I think the body is some sort of composite of many deciduous types of trees, it is not one piece or type of wood. I bought it unfinished and did a few touch ups with some basic acrylic paints. It is a combination floyd rose and Tele-style bridge which is very efficient. It has three tone controls which also determine volume of each range. There is a switch that switches between a 3-way and a 5-way switch which maximizes options. It came with locking and non-locking tuners, so I installed both. There are three single pickups on board, and 2 humbuckers. It also came with a humidifier and a plectrum. // 10

Sound: It is tolerable for basically all music styles, but it accels at hard, driving, blues. I plugged it into my 1000 watt Sony Woofer amplifier that I use in my car. With this configuration, I just couldn't seem to get much treble. Absolutely no noise when playing. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I must admit that factory settings were pretty lousy. I had my car mechanic take a look at it, and he suggested that I take it to the place of purchase. The fact that this guitar did not come finished really ended up being the worst part of the experience. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I found durability to be a strong argument for this guitar. It is meant for the road, with very high quality hardware that I had custom installed after I bought it. The strap that came with it seemed thick enough, but I decided against it in the end. The tuning is very dependable, only once or twice every hour does it need to be tuned. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I was happy with my purchase of this guitar. It seemed like the price I paid for it really represented the quality of the experience and the instrument itself. Blues really stood out on this guitar and I would recommend it to any blues player. The only thing that really turned me away was the lack of finish and poor quality wood used in construction of this piece. // 8

Big Baby Reviewed by: Katfury, on august 06, 2007

Purchased from: Local guitar shop

Features: I'm not sure how old this guitar was. I brought it as a second-hand guitar in 2005. So it will be a bit older than 2005. Made it the USA with the serial number at the hole, spruce top, mahogany neck, 15/16 size dreadnought. It has 20 frets, non-cutaway and just like an old fashion acoustic no pickups. It's including an original gig bag with the Taylor name on it and tools which is very nice indeed considering I was buying a second-hand guitar. // 10

Sound: I play all kinds of style of music from metal SOAD to pop like the Beatles also things like Blues and Jazz. I'm normally playing acoustic songs on this guitar and the tones are very rich and it sounds so beautiful that you can use it for Live gigs and recordings. It definably worth a lot more than the price I paid for. This guitar has it's most potential when you play chords or rhythm parts. Many people complain that Taylor has a bright tone but I do think the bright tone helps that richness especialy playing chords and rhythum. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I used to electric guitar before I brought this guitar so at start I thought the action in this guitar was a bit too high. However, as I play more over the years. Especially after experiencing few more guitars. So this guitar's action does not that feel high anymore. It has a narrow neck so perfect for small hands like me. Don't know if the strings are original but it seems it lasted forever. I never change these strings and since these strings are perfectly in working order there are no need to do that... yet. The only thing I will like to change is it will be nicer if the guitar is a cutaway because the access to the frets are not very good since the neck joins the body at the 14th frets and almost impossible to play any notes after the 15th frets. Luckly, not many acoustics song plays that higher frets. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think this will withstand playing Live. Despite it has a few marks at the top. (little accidents done by me). This guitar needs little very maintence. The strap buttons are really solid. Nothing has come off neither from the straps or from the buttons since I had it. But I have to say it's neck heavy but many acoustic are neck heavy due to the way it built. It's something I personal don't really like tho but it's somthing that I have it used to it. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar it's value for money. Something, which don't associate with Taylor guitars. But this one is very much worth more than it's value. It seems Taylor done a very good job at the lower end of the acoustic market. I'm recommended this guitar to anyone either as their first acoustic guitar or as a cheap reliable guitar for first gigs or first recordings. Overall I'm very satisfy with this guitar and not wish to buy any Acoustic in the next few years. Well if the guitar is broken or stolen I will buy the same guitar so maybe if I have a more money to spend I will buy a high end Taylor. // 10

Big Baby Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 05, 2009

Purchased from: music unlimited

Features: Spruce top, no electronics (thankfully) not much of a finish. very stark in appearence. thin but efficient pickguard, etching around sound hole. 14 frets to body. not pretty, not ugly. Big ole moustache bridge with the insert made with special attention to the 2nd string. came with gig bag.. nice one. // 8

Sound: My style is finger picking early american country/blues. only pick is a sometimes thumb. The sound is very even... perfect for finger picking. The strings I left on for now are Elixer 11's. Never was a big fan, couldn't understand the big deal, so far have kept them on, so have nothing to compare to, but it sounds so good for my purpose I don't want to mess with the mojo. I went into the store loaded for bear cash wise, went to the top shelf right away. beautiful guitars and sound but not right for the early blues.. too pretty. I didn't even try the acoustic/electrics then frankly only out of curiousity, I gave the Big Baby a try. The whole exsperience was a shock, from the ease of playing to the even perfect sound I was looking for. I did a couple of tunes and was sold. The person at the counter wanted to get me a new one in the box, but I insisted on this demo because I was afraid any other one wouldn't have the same feel and sound/tone. I'm not sure if it would be a good strummer, but it sure is a picker. Great for different tunings. Medium tension tunings are real sweet. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is is perfect for my medium sized hand.. neck medium feel, the frets are dressed perfectly and although it's not a cut away, get above the 12th fret is no problem and the intonation remains. The finish, as I wrote above is very stark.. I like it, in fact I use twine as did Blind Lemon Jefferson as a "strap". There is nothing wrong with the finsish, but the again there is not much of a finsish, seems almost like just buffed spruce. No flaws in the construction. Perfect looking for me. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The body of this guitar would not take much I believe to damage it. Its a light guitar, but I treat it as I do my others and I depend on it enough for buskin. I would like to re-string with 12's but I am a little leary although I've been told most players use twelves. As it is the intonation is spot on up and down and across, wouldn't ant any caving in, but might go with twelves and lighten up the fat one. // 7

Overall Impression: Perfect guitar for picking/slide and different tunings. although if the tunings are low tension you have to be especially ligt with the slide naturally. Been playing since 63'. At this time I own 1 electric jazz box with 2 57 Gibson pups. 1 semi hollow. 2 Vintage regal acousticsa. a 30's parlor and and arctop. one stell body and the Taylor. My over all impression is, if I had to give up all my guitars but one, I would keep the Taylor. it's not a high end Gibson acoustic or any other high end but it's perefect for what I do. // 10

Big Baby Reviewed by: Foozball, on december 18, 2009

Purchased from: Crossroads Music/ Port Townsend, WA

Features: Made in 2009 in Mexico. 20 frets (Ebony fretboard). Solid Sitka Spruce top, with Sapple (Same wood they use for sdub-flooring, Pretty close to mahogany) sides. I don't really know the finish, it's not glossed or satin... It just looks like wood. 3/4 size dreadnought. Price included gig-bag with adjustable 3 ring strap. // 8

Sound: The Taylor Big Baby is a thin guitar (since it is 3/4 size) that produces a bigger sound then expected. I usally play stuff like the stones, Tom Petty, some johnny horton, even stuff like Blink 182 and smashmouth and my Taylor preforms all way beyond my expections for it's price and size. When I play in drop D and use bends a little more frequently it always amazes me, the variation of tone you can hear. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought this guitar my fingers slid on the neck with great ease (They may have used string lube, but I doubt it) the strings are not to high off the fret board but they are not annoyingly close either, it is a fair balance. The body had a small chip which I may have put there while taking her home, or may have happened during shipping, It is hardly noticable and the spruce top covers it well. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I am a street preformer, This guitar will have to last in places like Coloardo and new mexico as well as washington and new york, So far I have only played in Washington but the tone stays solid (I haven't had to re-tune since I bought it save for drop D) I am relying on it now if it's shape or anything changes I will immeditly alter this review to reflect it's shape and dependability. // 5

Overall Impression: This guitar fits mine and my friends playing (everything from classic rock to classical) I have been playing for 2.5 years but always have my guitar in my hands (If it's in the case, How do I play it?). The only thing I wish I had before buying this was a slide (I use a lighter for drop D and it sounds kinda flat the tones are too even. It lacks DEEP bass). If this guitar were stolen I would probably buy another Taylor (I don't know for sure if I would get the same model, but this is my first Taylor. I love the look and sound of this guitar, The only resentment I have is that it isn't a full body. But when I went to The Music shop I immediatly loved the sound it provided and couldn't let it go. I tried some Johnsons (great learners, But I need something more high-end) a couple Martin's that where pretty impressive, But this Taylor just surprised me so much with it's little body, but crisp sound (it's never loud just crisp). // 8

Big Baby Reviewed by: Loaf Bread, on march 29, 2011

Purchased from: local person

Features: This is an Aerican made Taylor with 20 frets.It is 15/16th scale Dreadnought style guitar. The top is spruce with mahogany sides, back, and neck. It has a satin finish. I got a gig bag with it as well. This guitar had been played very little when I bought it. I was very impressed by it's appearance. // 10

Sound: I really enjoy the tone and sound I get from this guitar. Elixr strings I have found are very suited for this guitar. I don't think it has very deep tones but fits in very well for me. Howevever I feel that it has a very bright and crispy high end. It is well suited for different styles of music. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was a little high but I adjusted it. It still isn't where I'd like for it to be but it's o.k. for me. The wood selected for this Big Baby Taylor is a very high qaulity wood. I saw no flaws at all. The neck is a bolt on and has a very good feel to it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I feel this guitar will last. It's been through an accident or two and held up rather nicely, I feel it is very durable. It is a very solid and well built guitar with no flaws. A beautiful good feeling creation. I feels really nice when wearing a strap when playing. // 10

Overall Impression: I play almost every kind of music that hits my mood. This er this is a grat guitar for a smaller stature person. Guitar will play most styles I want to play. I been playing for 23 years and have played very expensive guitars. I don't think that I would buy another for myself because of the 15/16th scale which is a tad small for me. I would move up into the fuller size Taylor guitars. However this is a great guitar for a smaller stature person. I cannot say anything bad about this guitar except for the 15/16th scale. It has the great Taylor sound. // 9

Big Baby Reviewed by: abbydaddy03, on august 19, 2011

Features: This guitar was made in 2011, I bought it brand new. It has 20 frets and was made in Mexico. The closest I could get to made in USA in my price range. It has a Sitka spruce top and sapele-laminate back and sides. The Big Baby is 15/16 in size compared to a standard Taylor Dreadnought. The neck is bolted on with 2 large screws which sit perfectly flush to the neck. // 7

Sound: I play mostly acoustic, been playing for 6 years now, I also own an Ibanez AEF-18 Acoustic-Electric which I love. The Big Baby is Acoustic - no electric. I play 60's, 70's, as well as music right up to current songs. Joplin, Blues Image, Stones, Cat Stevens to name a few. The Big Baby has an awesome bright sound, which matches my style perfectly. I am very demanding of my guitars. It handles full chords, power and Slash chords, bends and pull offs all very well. There is a slight thud on chords sometimes on the lower strings which I'm trying to figure out. It could be my hand position, or I'd ask the salesman to help me with it (PS the salesman sent me a follow up "thank you" email-nice touch in this economy). // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I am playing this instrument with the factory set up and it performs exemplary. Sort of if it ani't broke don't fix it. I have found no flaws in workmanship/finish. The guitar is very lightweight compared to my Ibanez, which takes a little getting used to. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This instrument will withstand any type of playing you throw at it. People hanging out jamming and you start playing this baby you will be heard and noticed for the great sound. I would trust this guitar anywhere without a backup. I still prefer my Ibanez when I want a more throaty sound. // 9

Overall Impression: As previously mentioned, I play 60s, 70s, some 80s, all the way up to current music. I just love the feel of this guitar, can't exactly get in down on paper. When I pick it up I feel very confident. If lost or stolen I would absolutely replace it. It came with a nice custom fit gig bag. And I had a $30 off coupon from Guitar Center I'm on their email list. // 8

Big Baby Reviewed by: thai_giang, on december 02, 2011

Price paid: C$ 540

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: 6-string dreadnought, 15/16 scale, with 20 frets at a 25 & 1/2 scale. It has a varnished finish with a Sitka Spruce top, Sapele Laminate back & sides, and a slim Tropical American Mahogany neck. This guitar has a bolt-on neck with the two mounting screws located at the sixteenth fret. It comes with a nicely fitting quality Taylor gig bag. // 9

Sound: The guitar overall gives off a very bright yet powerful tone. Chords sound excellent, very balanced from the thin strings to the thick. The overall tone of the guitar does not have a lot of mids, but has a really nice clean solid boom to the low end tone. It sounds great for playing finger-style, bossa nova, chords, and can be pretty loud for a Big Baby! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Initially the guitar came with a very comfortable low action. The low action combined with the slimmer neck makes playing finger-style much easier, as well as barre chords and such. The body and finish was flawless, smooth, clean, and ding-free. // 10

Reliability & Durability: A main issue with the Taylor Big Baby is that it is a very sensitive and delicate instrument. Proper moisture/humidity levels is required in order to keep the guitar in top shape. Tuning heads are solid and hold tune very well. Overall though the guitar is very sensitive and delicate and I was required to make adjustments to the neck in order to keep the action set to my preferences. Also, the Sitka Spruce top is extremely soft, any light bumping of the guitar onto rough edges WILL leave a mark/ding. This guitar would be a great performer but you definitely will need to be extremely careful when bring it into different environments with different temperatures as a sudden temperature change can cause the wood to crack. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall this is a very high-quality guitar especially for its price. The slim neck and low action makes it very comfortable to play as I can run a thicker gauge of strings without making barre chords and finger-style difficult to play. It is very tedious though, to maintain the guitar, as any change in the environment would affect the guitar. The guitar looks really clean simple yet rich, and the tone definitely proves so too. This guitar is an excellent bang-for-your-buck for guitarists ranging from beginner to professional! // 8

More Taylor reviews rating category latest review
+ 914CE 9.8 Acoustic Guitars 07/21/2014