GS8 Review

manufacturer: Taylor date: 08/18/2009 category: Acoustic Guitars
Taylor: GS8
The solid Sitka spruce top on the GS Series Rosewood/Spruce Top model belts out a lot of volume with tight bass and pronounced, crisp highs supported by the gorgeous Indian rosewood back and sides.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 8.1
 9.5
 6.7
reviews (2) user comments vote for this gear:
GS8 Reviewed by: noah22791, on august 17, 2007

Purchased from: Music Emporium

Features: Taylor guitars are made in California. This guitar I think has the features any great acoustic does: solid sitka spruce top, east indian rosewood back and sides, mahogany neck, ebony fret board and bridge, 20 frets. Gloss finish. The guitar has a beautiful inly of abalone dots. The GS refers to the body. It stands for Grand Symphony, which is bigger than Grand Concert and Grand Auditorium. Gold plated Taylor tuners, and strap buttons here. I got a free hard shell case along with a free humidifier. // 10

Sound: After playing 10-15 guitars the day I purchased this one, I knew this was the one. The unique body shape and size produces a sound like no other guitar. The bass response on this is quite amazing. Because this body is so big, it handles heavy strumming extremely well. The guitar also has great mids, and bright Taylor hi's as always. Fingerpicking on this guitar won't be like those custom martins, but it still sounds very good. If you finger pick a decent amount in your playing, you should still definitley consider this guitar. I play everything from rock to jazz and blues. I believe this guitar can fit any style. Overall, the sound on this guitar is stunning. The body produces a loud, full, clear sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar was great. The salesman made a slight adjustment for me, and it is in tip-top shape. I didn't see a single flaw here. The guitar stays in tune very well, the bracing is strong. With the quality materials in this guitar, this guitar couldn't function any better. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Like all acoustics, this guitar will only get nicer as it gets older. I also believe because of the rare Indian Rosewood, that it will become more valuable over the years as long as it is kept in great condition. The hard ware is all nice, and tight, I haven't worried about a thing yet. The bracing on this guitar is also really strong, and the guitar is very durable, which is great because you don't want an expensive guitar like this getting damaged so easily. // 9

Overall Impression: After comparing this guitar to other Taylors, and Custom Martins, this one just stood out. The sound that comes out of this guitar is so full and crisp. I hadn't heard anything like it before. I think Taylor hit it perfectly here. I have been playing 8 years, and I don't think I have played a guitar as nice as this before. That's why I had to get it. If this was stolen, I would have to buy it again, even with the big price tag. The guitar looks expensive, but the price is actually quite cheap considering the fine woods and materials you have here. Rosewood is just getting rarer and rarer, so I had to go for it. Overall, this is my favorite guitar, and maybe the nicest acoustic I have played to this day. The sound of this guitar will not disappoint you. // 9

GS8 Reviewed by: MacChlerich, on august 18, 2009

Price paid: $ 1900

Purchased from: Sweetwater

Features: All the usual Taylor Factory data. Thsi one is Stka Spruce Top and Indian Rosewood back and sides. Attention to detail is very good. Nothing out of place or loose. Fit and finish are excellent. I've played and seen a lot of guitars but when I opened the case for the first time my eyes got stars in them. // 10

Sound: Big bass notes. Very good mids. A tad weak on the trebles. Overall the sound is exce3ptional. I'm one of those picky ears and have the guitar isn't in tune hear like it is hear ears. If you know what I mean. This one is one of the best I've heard. Stays in tune. Really like the Nano Web strings on her. Overall Sound is exceptional not only due to the size but also wood selection and bracing. I play a lot of country, blues and rock. She is well adapted to all. Has a little trouble pronouncing very quick notes in the high end. Very good with hammer ons and pull offs. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: As I said very happy with her looks and feel. She feels right at home in my hands and she sings to me. Wood selection is very good. Workmanship is very high. Machines are nice and tight but easy to operate. Starp buttons are tight and No worries about pulling out. Played great right out of the factory. Sweetwater says they set up guitars before they leave the warehouse. I can believe it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: consistant sound quality and getting better with age. Only a year and a half old. Seems to hold true even in a humid enviroment. Desicant packs in the case to help humidity issues. But has remained consistant to this point. Not worried about the finish. Seems very stable and will hold up. I have used her Live and she really sounds sweet through the amps and pa's. Full spectrum, not muddy, good tone and projection. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm very pleased with this guitar. If this is an indication of what i can expect then I expect to buy more Taylors in the future. I would deffinitly consider onboard electronics on the next one. I like the company ethic and Bob taylors complete involvement in all aspects of his company. Gives me confidence in his product and I have to think that if support is needed it will be easily forthcoming. Yes I would by the same guitar agin if it were stolen. I have had many Martins, Gibsons and Ovations and this is really a great guitar. I feel I have made a great choice. I won't be selling her that's for sure. // 10

More Taylor reviews rating category latest review
+ 914CE 9.8 Acoustic Guitars 07/21/2014