70CE Review

manufacturer: Turner date: 06/01/2004 category: Acoustic Guitars
Dreadnought cutaway. Natural solid spruce top with mahogany back and sides. Grover machine heads and B-band eq.
 8.9
 8.8
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
70CE Reviewed by: pacificblue, on june 01, 2004

Purchased from: MM

Features: - Made in Korea - 18 frets - Solid spruce top - Solid rosewood back and sides - Mahogany neck with rosewood fingerboard - Grover tuners - Active "B-Band" electronics - Bone nut and saddle // 8

Sound: The guitar is very bright and crisp, I think "cheerful" sums it up, which suits my style of the primary guitarist in an acoustic band. I'm hoping that the sound will mellow slightly as the spruce ages, but I'm happy with it as it is. The top-quality woods really come into their own here; I've played guitars costing twice as much that didn't sound half as good as this. Not so brilliant when it's plugged in, a little papery, and prone to feedback, but hey- mic it up when you play live. The amazing unplugged sound more than makes up for it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar had slightly high action from the factory, but nothing serious. The build quality is top-notch, perfect joins everywhere, with the exception of that rose inlay I just mentioned. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is amazing, sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to promote Turner guitars here, but I simply cannot find fault with these instruments. Great starting materials, brilliant build quality, amazing sound, and for a very reasonable price. The tuners blew me away, I was used to tuning my old acoustic every day, with this guitar I only have to tune it once a month, I kid ye not, it's freaky, like it's possessed by the magical tuning fairy. Every single day, no matter how much strumming it gets, the thing never goes out of tune. I know it sounds unbelievable, but it's true, I even check it every day with an electronic guitar tuner, and each string is perfect. Full marks to Grover tuners. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar would suit both fingerpickers and strummers, as it has nicely spaced strings for picking, but not so far apart that you can't strum some beautiful chords. If it was stolen, I would buy another Turner without question, as I have simply never played an acoustic under 700 that compared with this one. The materials, how it plays, the sound, the tuning stability- fantastic. Turner could charge twice as much as they do, and still be able to sell these beauties. // 10

Comments