VW100 Review

manufacturer: Vantage date: 07/05/2010 category: Acoustic Guitars
It has 20 frets with full access to only the 14th fret. Medium jumbo frets on an ebony fret board. Has dreadnought shape out of and unknown wood but it looks like cedar on body's back, sides, and neck. Bridge is that of Martin acoustics with end pins. This is a straight-ahead acoustic with no electronics.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.5
 Features: 8.5
 6.1
 7.4
 4.8
reviews (2) 3 comments vote for this gear:
VW100 Reviewed by: SuperAnalytical, on february 06, 2006

Features: This Sound by Design Vantage acoustic guitar (model no. VW100; serial no. 1078) was made in Japan of an unknown year to me. When I purchased this from the jazz band guitarist of my school, it had been sitting in his basement between 5-15 months (years possibly, I don't really recall) however it plays nicely. It has 20 frets with full access to only the 14th fret. Medium Jumbo frets on an ebony fret board. Has dreadnought shape out of and unknown wood but it looks like Cedar on body's back, sides, and neck. Bridge is that of Martin acoustics with end pins. This is a straight-ahead acoustic with no electronics. The tuners are Kluson-like in shape I believe that are non-locking. I received no accessories with this. // 8

Sound: The acoustic isn't really my thing. I play mostly harder Nirvana material and Green Day. When I play Nirvana's acoustic stuff it still does not pull through which is disheartening. This is probably due to it being straight acoustic, unlike Nirvana's 'Unplugged' performance. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is very hard to switch back and forth on electric to acoustic but it has helped my electric playing a lot. I believe the frets are dressed, but I am unsure. There is a large crack in the upper left hand corner on the guitar if it were standing up. However, it was repaired, so no worries there. The nut is poor, but it does its job. Everything else on the acoustic is in fair condition, especially the tuners. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I'm sure it could withstand everything after the abuse I have put on it. The hardware looks solid and I could depend on this. I have no idea what I'm going to do with this though, I have no real need for it. // 7

Overall Impression: Nirvana and straight acoustics do not mix well. Nor do Green Day and straight ahead acoustics, at least what I play of these artists' material. I have been playing a year now and I own a Schecter Gryphon, Line6 Spider II 15 amp, Digitech DF-7, EHX Small Clone, and two other acoustics. I couldn't care less about this acoustic, it's just not worth the closet space it takes up. I wish it would just be lost or stolen. I dislike having something that doesn't suit me or my musical styles. // 5

VW100 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 05, 2010

Features: This is the Vantage VF-5, it was made in Korea in 1993. It is a Concert size similar to a 000 Martin with a regular 14 fret neck. The top is solid spruce and the sides, back, and neck are solid mahogany. The finish is clear lacquer. No electronics and cheap tuners. Nothing was included in the guitar sale. // 9

Sound: Beautiful sound and playability. This is my first guitar that I got for my birthday in 1994 and I still use it. It has been handled roughly here and there but always taken care of including making sure the guitar stayed at proper humidity. There is a bit of fret buzz high up on the neck; it just needs a setup and some fret leveling. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar was well setup from what I can remember! The guitar did not contain any flaws. Eventually the tuning peg screw holes got loose but that is an easy fix with a toothpick and wood glue. In the first few years of playing the bridge lifted just enough to fit a pick under the tail end, but the lifting has stopped and was never repaired. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have played live with it but it lacks in projection because it is a small guitar, I use a DM woody soundhole pickup in it and amplified the guitar is mid rangy and a bit twangy. I think it would sound better with a better pickup. The guitar is very durable and has held up to my teenage years well! The neck is still straight and action is still low. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly Acoustic guitar, I like to strum and fingerpick. I have been playing since 94. I have higher end equipment now and have played many nice guitars friends have owned. If it were stolen I would not be able to replace it because it is full of sentimental value and they are no longer made. That being said these guitars from what I have seen have great value and would buy another if I came across one used. It's no high end guitar but it sounds good, plays good, and has held up well. A very good bargain for a solid wood guitar. If oyu are looking for a good starter guitar this is a good choice. // 8

More Vantage reviews rating category latest review
+ VP820 8.2 Electric Guitars 06/26/2007