V400 12-String Review

manufacturer: Vintage date: 03/21/2013 category: Acoustic Guitars
Vintage: V400 12-String
This guitar could match most types of music, apart from metal shredding type stuff.
 8.3
 7.6
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
V400 12-String Reviewed by: rockkid98, on march 21, 2013

Price paid: £ 149.99

Purchased from: Gear4music

Features: 20 frets, perfect amount as not used for much lead. Top-solid, spruce lovely look. - Back: Nato, Laminate not much to say for this its cheap Chinese reliable - Sides: Nato, Laminate - Binding: Multi, Black/White quite a tough durable binding - Neck: Nato, really nice smooth playable neck - Fingerboard: Rosewood,every loves roses wood - Bridge: Rosewood, - Pickguard: Tortoiseshell,nice look, scratches to easy - Scale: 642mm, - Tuners: Chrome, - Strings: High Quality USA Made,snapped on first strum, needed a change - Finish: Natural. // 8

Sound: I use this to play mostly alternative stuff and Pink Floyd and it works well for it, you can't really play too much high lead with it tho but sounds beautiful when playing chords. "Wish You Were Here" sounds lovely on this. I fitted this with an Artec sound hole pickup made for 12 strings so I could plug it in to my Orange 20LDX, I've tested this guitar with a few effects, the best one was the chorus effect on the Orange. Its a few bright, full, decedent sound its fairly loud, but not so much that it the echo keeps going and going and going. A lot of my friends that are far far more skilled than me can do some weird and wonderful trippy things with this, when playing in a band and using it for lead it resonates and cuts straight trough the other guitarist chords making for a nice 3 tier sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I unboxed it the set up was crap the action was way to high the strings were put on with no care and at the first strum the high G snapped both all 4 E's went lose and the low A also snapped. If you can don't get this guitar from the internet or at least Gear4music. I think there was one minor mark that polished out. The strap button was lose but this took about 1 minute to fix. As for the wood it was nothing to great but what can you expect for the brilliant price, I am in no way at all a guitar expert but it all seem to be fitted well, the join from the neck to body was perfect none of the binding had cracked which normally happens on most cheap guitars that I have had when they are assembled in the factory. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Having only used this guitar love around 6 times I cannot really judge but its was perfect for those 6 times. The hardware seems like it will last, maybe the strap button might need a change because its pretty poor quality. The unbranded tuners seem fairly slandered they wont last for 50 years but they will be around for a while. I've had to change some of the pegs down at the bottom because the tips have come off or the black bit has come out but I only changed this because of my slight ODC that I have about guitars ;). I don't really gig with back ups unless I know I'm gonna be playing for a while, I wouldn't use this for a back up or have a back up for it because its a pretty simple guitar, I would have a backup sound hole pickup because that's the only thing that could fail enough to stop a show. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar could match most types of music, apart from metal shredding type stuff, I've been playing for around 7 years and I've never had anything that's has been quite like this amazing bit of art, I wish that I had got it sooner, if it was stolen 1) I would find the person who stole it 2) congratulate them on steeling an amazing guitar, if it ever broke I would get a new one as soon as. One of the only problems I had had with this guitar is that when I put a capo on there is alway a buzz Sting this may just be an anomaly with my guitar, I'm sure this can be easily fixed I just haven't got round to it, if you are reading this because ur thinking of getting one then get it now! // 8

More Vintage reviews rating category latest review
+ V6 Icon 8.6 Electric Guitars 08/15/2013