CD550EB Review

manufacturer: Walden date: 01/25/2011 category: Acoustic Guitars
Walden: CD550EB
Guaranteed to turn heads with its striking black finish and tone, the new Concorda CD550EB from Walden has the sound, looks and feel to make it a superb choice for flatpickin' or bluegrass guitar.
 9.1
 8.2
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
CD550EB Reviewed by: Gamefer, on january 25, 2011

Price paid: € 365

Features: Walden guitars are known for good sound/price factor and this cd550eb isn't exception. Guitar is made in china and designed in USA. Guitar has 20 frets. Solid rosewood fingerboard. Neck is made from Mahogany. Body shape is Dreadnought. Top material Solid Spruce, back and side material Mahogany. Finishing glossy black. Guitar comes with Fishman aero+ or classic 4 eq + electronics, in my case classic4. Guitar didn't include any accessories. // 8

Sound: Straight first I have to say that this guitar has very good sound for this price range! I compared different other guitars little below this price and those didn't have that full and filling sound that this guitar has. For example Fender t-bucket, (I know it different body type etc, but still) sound was narrow and came from strings kinda much. So the sound is filling and it is little more bass based, than treble. Sound also comes very much from body and that makes it also somewhat noisy too. Fishman electronics has EQ. Bass, middle, treble and also brilliance and volume controls. One thing that this classic4 electronic don't have is tuner. But who needs that anyway :P I haven't played much using guitars output, but what I tested it, the sound is pretty much bright and also little narrow. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: What I liked the most in this guitar, was the sound and how it feel while plying. Strings are pretty close on fret board by default, which make playing much more easier and faster. And since I started playing with electric-guitars I have used that strings are close of fret board. Guitar stays in tune nicely, so machine head work like it should. Neck and bridge seemed to be well attached, no cracks or rifts or anything like that, of course. When I was buying this guitar there was this common problem that some frets where higher than others. Around 15. fret or so. Store took guitar to professional who grinded frets straight. Sure there were option to get whole new guitar but if it has the same problem or something else, its not worth of waiting. And since its in playing shape by this way I don't mind. Paint and the finishing is pretty ok, some waving on paint, but that comes from the wood I guess. I would give it 9 on action, fit&finish, but that fret grinding grinded one point out of score. ;) // 8

Reliability & Durability: I think guitar would go perfectly for live too, its not high-end guitar though, but structure and sound is good. Tuning knobs seem to be good, Fisman electronics works atleast now :P Those EQ slides have little plastic feeling but so far they have lasted. Plug is middle of bottom, it could be in different place, but since if you add leash it goes to same spot and that way saved for not making any extra hole to guitar. (thats different story if it has any effect). Glossy surface gets easily scratches. // 8

Overall Impression: All I can say is that this guitar is one of the best for this price range for sure, although I don't have much to compare it for. If you are going to buy this guitar (or any guitar) check those frets that they are straight as they should be. No idea if my piece was exception what comes about this model. I still would buy this guitar if I could choose again on that price range! // 8

More Walden reviews rating category latest review
+ D670 9.3 Acoustic Guitars 12/18/2013