G730 Review

manufacturer: Walden date: 04/08/2009 category: Acoustic Guitars
Walden: G730
It has a solid cedar top, a solid rosewood back, scalloped bracing, cast tuners and a satin nitro-cellulose finish. The sides are laminated: some luthiers prefer this because it effectively decouples the top from the back.
 8.6
 7.3
review (1) pictures (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
G730 Reviewed by: Fitzpatrick, on april 08, 2009

Price paid: € 250

Purchased from: Waltons

Features: The neck profile is pretty thin on this guitar. It has 20 frets but from the fourteenth fret up it is difficult to get to because there are no cutaways It is a pretty standard Acoustic guitar, the tuners are good, they keep the strings in tune very well. I got a soft case and a tuner off the shop with this because it was my first guitar but I don't think Walden give you anything extra with the G730. // 7

Sound: This was my first guitar and the sound off it is pretty good for the price compared to other guitars in that price range, although you can certainly tell the difference in sound between this and an Acoustic guitar of higher quality (or price). This guitar is great from just sitting with a group of friends playing a few chords to performing Live at a small gig. I use phosphor bronze strings with the G730 and once new break in, it sounds beautiful. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was extremely well made, the wood has kept well and the action is really good. Although the neck seems to be a bit weak, very easy to stain or get dented. The wood pieces inside have been glued in really well and there has been no sign of rotting so far. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have used this guitar Live and I had no problems with it, the strap buttons are very solid and I wouldn't have any worries about using it Live without a backup. It can also take a good bashing, the amount of times this guitar has crashed to the floor or bumped of a table has been a lot, and it is still holding strong. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this guitar, it's my first ever guitar and I wouldn't swap it for anything. I couldn't stop playing this guitar when I first got it, I had previously been learning on my cousin's 3/4 size classical guitar, which was a 30 euro Argos piece of junk. If it were stolen or lost, I wouldn't hesitate in buying it again. If you are a beginner I would definitely recommend this guitar. It is really well made and the sound you can get from it compared to other Acoustic guitars in the same price range is pretty incredible. When I was buying this guitar the only other guitars I had to choose from were cheap plastic yokes, and this one was obviously better. // 10

More Walden reviews rating category latest review
+ D670 9.3 Acoustic Guitars 12/18/2013