Cumberland J28SCE-2 Review

4.8
 9.6
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Cumberland J28SCE-2 Reviewed by: hecknaw, on may 29, 2013

Features: This model of Washburn was mfg. In Korea for Washburn 1996-2000. Mine is a 2000, the 2 in model may denote Cedar top. Not for certain about that, but I have had it checked out by 2 guitar pro's and they said it was infact a high gloss clear over Cedar. Most J28's from these years were Spruce tops. The sides, back and neck are golden Mahogany. Total Binding of guitar in what looks like an off/white plastic. It has a rosewood butterfly bridge and bone saddle Abalone rosette, fingerboard is rosewood with abalone crown position markers. 1 11/16" bone nut, The head has Washburn logo and Cumberland banner in abalone and Grover 18:1 tuners. This guitar being as old as it is has outdated Equis Gold electronics, not good by todays standards. // 10

Sound: The sound that comes bouncing off of the back out through the top is just amazing to hear as it does resonates on and on. If you give this guitar just a lite strum the sound is clear and mellow, the high end is not so bright and the low side is warm. You open it up with a hard strum and it has volume that does not need a amp. To be heard. And this is just what you would expect from a jumbo and it delivers. When it is played through an amp. It's a Fender acoustic amp. With the settings set to clear so that I get a clean, clear sound from the guitar. This guitar is in need of better electrics! But it is what it is // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I am the second owner of this guitar, the fellow that I got it from told me that at sometime ago it was setup by a pro, that's when a new bone comp.saddle was put on as well as new brass bridge pins put in.this guitar did not come with the buzz feten tuning syst. String height at 12 fret is rite at the thickness of a credit card. I would say that the action is set low. With no string buzz anywhere up or down the fretboard. I have had many guitars through the years both high priced, and low priced and I believe I know just what to look for in a good guitar and I can spot shoddy workmanship in a second. This guitar had no issues with fit & finish it was spot on. // 10

Reliability & Durability: To the rite guitar player is guitar could stand up and be played live on stage. This guitar is built like a tank, and I don't say that in a negative way its just that it is a big bulky guitar that has some beef to it. It does seem to be rock solid from top to bottom. From time to time this guitar is used at a nursing home to play for the old folks Bluegrass, gospel and that's about as close to gigging as I get but I do this without taking a backup. This guitar is 13 years old now and I believe that time is the measure of reliability & durability. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing guitar for the better part of 48 years most all of it for self enjoyment. I still have and use my first guitar received from my Grandfather, a 1955 Harmony F-Hole Montery archtop this is my blues banger. Also have a Gibson dove and a Aria lawsuit dove(the latter I love more than the former). I search out this Washburn J28 on/off for 5 years because I knew what I wanted. After 2000 Washburn change up the J28 bigtime and it was never the same. Not in a bad way they just went in a different direction. These guitars can still be had but they have to be found! // 10

More Washburn reviews rating category latest review
+ RX10 8 Electric Guitars 10/17/2014