D10S 12 Review

9.5
 9.4
review (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
D10S 12 Reviewed by: Stimpomatic, on september 16, 2005

Features: The 12 string version of the World's Best Selling Acoustic Guitar earned the distinction with superior craftsmanship, tone and value. The 6 string was voted number 1 by Acoustic Guitar magazine as the best guitar under $500. Now with a solid spruce top. - 12 string dreadnought - Solid spruce top - Mahogany sides/back - Mahogany neck with trussrod - Rosewood fingerboard and bridge - Natural/buffed gloss body - Stained mahogany/buffed gloss neck - Chrome Die-Cast Grover style tuning machine - Multi lam top binding - Neck binding - New diamond inlaid marquetry rosette - Black pickguard. // 10

Sound: On my acoustics, I play a lot of acoustic rock along the lines of Tantric and Sevendust, but I write most of what I play. It sounds fantastic. Period. Regardless of the price. Solos on it sound a bit choppy but that's to be expected since 12 strings are more for rhythm then lead. It sounds great when strummed and you can hear every note of any given chord very clearly without any trouble. The sound is very rich and full. I love the way the sound resonates inside of the body; you can play a note, dampen it, and it will still ring for a split second longer. I tune it to Eb standard and it also sounds great in drop Db and every other alternate tuning that I use. This guitar has a great sound when harmonics are played, and it sounds really cool when you do bends. There isn't anything I dislike about the sound of this guitar. The sound gets a 5+. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is great, easy access up to the 14th fret (since its not a cutaway). When I first got it it had some fret buzz, but heavier gauge strings fixed that for the most part. The intonation isn't perfect, but it isnt ear piercingly terrible either. The only intonation problem is with the 11th and 12th strings (the low E and the E an octave higher than it), but its only noticeable when you play these two strings by themselves. The finish isn't terrible, but the back of the body has some scratches in it most like from my belt buckle and the buttons on my shirt. There is a small ding on the top that I most likely put there but I don't recall doing so. // 8

Overall Impression: Like I said before I play a lot of acoustic rock and I also play some blues here and there and this takes the cake. It's a very versitile and can be used in any situation a six string could. I have been playing guitar for about 2. 5 years and I have been doing music for about 5.5 years. Along with this guiar, I have a Washburn WI64, a Washburn X10, an Indiana Shannondale, and an Epiphone Classical. Out of all of my guitars this one is by far my favorite. If it were lost or stolen I would definitely buy another one just like it. The price was just unbelieveable. The sound is superb, the action is low enough to play well but high enough to get almost no fret buzz, and it's a pretty guitar. When I went to the music store I was planning on getting a six string, but when I saw this I just had to play it. I looked at the price tag and said I want this guitar. I was originally going to get an Indiana guitar; most likely a Madison, but I this one sounded so much better and it was my first steel string acoustic. The only thing about it that I wish were different is that I would like it to be an acoustic/electric. I might get electronics installed in it someday, but for now it will do. // 10

More Washburn reviews rating category latest review
+ XM-STD2 8.3 Electric Guitars 08/13/2014