D10SCE Review

manufacturer: Washburn date: 06/02/2009 category: Acoustic Guitars
Washburn: D10SCE
With increased playability from its deep cutaway and with the addition of the Equis Extra preamp system, they created a truly professional guitar at an affordable price.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 9.5
reviews (6) 12 comments vote for this gear:
D10SCE Reviewed by: Kurt1964, on february 20, 2009

Purchased from: Music 123

Features: The Washburn D10SCEB (the "B" stands for black) that I own, was built in the "Peoples Republic of China", in 2008. It has 20 frets embedded in a Rosewood fingerboard. The body is a "cutaway" style, with a solid Spruce top. The sides, back and neck are made up of Mahogany. The outer protectorant is a black luster, "buffed" to a mirror-like finish. The electronics of the D10SCE features the *Buzz Feiten Tuning System incorperated into a WT92 tuner/preamp. The headstock is equipt with chrome plated, non-locking Grover tuners. The extras that accompanied this guitar were as follows... One standard bridge saddle (bone), one bridge pin (bone), a large truss rod wrench and a well crafted hardshell Washburn case complete with a chrome plated, locking Drawbolt set up. // 10

Sound: As for the style of music that I play, which is everything from slow ballads to hard rock, and all styles in between. The Washburn D10SCE seems to keep up with me quite well. The guitar is strung with Vinci strings, which, when new, are very "bright" sounding, almost "twangy". But this "twang", calms down after some use. The WT92 tuner/preamp, allows for a standard variety of mixed tones. Hey, for an acoustic, how much do you need? Really. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Traditionally, the Washburn Factory set-up, is legendary, and thus is the case here. All the frets were seated properly, and the truss rod needed no adjustment. The electronics work to a perfection, and the tuner is "spot-on" accurate. Well, I've had this guitar for over a year now, and as for flaws... None that I have noticed, nor felt. Great craftsmanship! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Either playing at home, or out Live. This guitar can withstand most any abuse. The durability of the D10SCE's hardware and finish is, quite simply, superb. As for the reliability... Well put it this way.."I would bet my last dollar on it, and win"! Oh yea,, the strap button is solid, no worries there! // 10

Overall Impression: Like most musicans, the style of music that I play is constantly evolveing. And for me, the Washburn D10SCE, is a great match. Hopefully, it would prove the same for you as well. I also have the Yamaha FG700S, which is great for chording. But the D10SCE, is far superior for a more "stylized" type of play. Though what I love the best about this guitar is it's balance. Wheather you perfer playing while standing or sitting, this guitar does not "fight" back! If this guitar were ever to become lost or stolen, I would replace it with the same one straight away! So give this guitar a serious audition, and you'll see what I mean. Peace. Rock on! // 10

D10SCE Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 02, 2005

Purchased from: Soundsmusical.com

Features: The guitar looks beautiful. I have the natural version and the guitar is fabulous. // 10

Sound: This guitar sounds excellent. Although I have only started playing May 2005, this guitar is already enabling me to play stuff I thought I coudn't. The sounds resonates beautifully. It's not too loud/noisy. The right rich sound a guitar should have. Haven't tried it with an amp yet. This guitar produce effects nicely. Can do hammer on, pull off, slide etc. and it will sound great. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar is manufactured to a very good standards I think. I mean every component looks like it took time. Overall it is a great thing. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had it for a long time yet. But it seems it is durable. It looks solid. It gives you a strong impression. At the same time light enough to be played anywhere. // 8

Overall Impression: I looked and searched alot before buying this guitar. And yes it was worth all the time I put. It's a gem and will always feel like a friend to a bigenner or professional. The range of sound it makes will probably enable you to play many styles. I tried classical on it and it's nice. What I really like about it that I hate about other types I looked into. Is that the fret board is wide enough for your fingers to fit nicely and not touching other strings, also it is narrow enough for yout hand to be comfortable to play along any section of the board. Overall this guitar is professional piece for a beginner's price. // 10

D10SCE Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 07, 2005

Features: Not made in the US, hence the price. Active electronics with 3 band EQ, notch filter, volume, presence on guitar. Piezo pickup on bridge, everything you could want in an acoustic/electric and the features are good quality. // 10

Sound: I play a variety of music, classic rock, '90s rock and alternative. It suits my style fine. The only thing is the sound is a bit shallow; the body of the guitar is not very big. Very clear sound but not quite as loud if you want to rock out. Bright but sound could be a bit fuller. Plugged in the guitar sounds fantastic, the electronics are great. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Set-up was great out of the box, no buzzing like other reviews said. The action is nice (I like it relatively low). Everything's great as far as finish. Looks great and plays great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think it is relatively reliable. I've had it for about a year now and nothing's wrong with it. The strap button fell out but I just had to glue it back in. I gig without a backup and I'm not too worried about it. This is not a very expensive guitar but for the money is pretty well built. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about five years, and have had this guitar for a year. Nothing I can say that I don't like about it. I am confused about the XLR output though. I thought I was clear on it's function but I can't seem to get it to work. No biggie though. Probably wouldn't use it anyway. If it were lost or stolen I definitely would buy it again. Probably twice. I compared it to about a half dozen other brands and this one stood out. I think I was right too, nothing I regret about buying it. Very good guitar for the money. // 10

D10SCE Reviewed by: FortunateSon, on april 08, 2005

Purchased from: local music store

Features: Great cuttaway acoustic electric. You can really get up to the high frets. The electronics are great volume, bass, middle, treble, and presence. // 10

Sound: I played dozens of guitars when looking for a new acoustic, ranging in price and manufacture. I required a cutaway, but most of them had a very small sound. This guitar sounds better than most full body guitars and defenitly better than any other cuttaway I played. I played a Seagull that came close, but it didn't sound as good plugged in. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was a little high, but thats no big deal. The electronics are perfect and there was no flaw with the guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can defenitly take a show. The strap button is very solid, the other guy must have been beating his guitar up because its very durable. Never play without a backup, but if something were to happen to your other guitar, no big deal. Its an all wooden guitar with a paint job, it needs to be cared for, although all it requires is some ammonia free windex and brawny paper towels. Every few months it needs a wax job. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a very versatile guitar because of its sound. You can play it unplugged and still get volume. I have been playing acoustic for as long as I can remember, and this guitar will switch from Folk to Clapton with no discrepencies. I played tons of guitars and this one has it all, good looks and great sound. Oh ya, the comment on the mic input not working. There has to be something plugged into the other input to make it work. The guy I bought it from cut the end off an old chord and gave it to me to put in when I use a mic cable. // 10

D10SCE Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 02, 2009

Purchased from: J&R

Features: 2009 standard size dreadnought. Made in China by Washburn, a company based in Mundelein, IL, USA. Solid spruce top. Laminated Mahogany Back and Sides. Push-pin bridge, saddle with compensation for the B string. WT-92 Pre-amp. Bass, Mid, Treble, Presence, Volume dials. Onboard, highly accurate tuner. Standard generic "Grover-style" tuners. Free hard-sided case. // 9

Sound: Suits my music style just fine (acoustic/classic/folk rock). In fact, perfect for this type of music. I use it with a Fender Acoustasonic, Dean Markley K-65 Acoustic Amp, Fender Ultimate Chorus if bringing my own but usually just plugging into whatever PA the house/club has where I am playing. Just reverb and chorus if anything. Pretty full sound for this price range. Non-players say it sounds great -- but people who have played Martins and higher-end gear can hear it is a little thin. But this can be compensated for pretty well via settings in a Live situation. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar came perfectly setup, although the action was a little higher on the upper frets than I normally play with. Played a gig with this about a week after I got it. Did fine. Bookmatching was fine. I really liked the fact that this has well-done binding throughout. Many guitars in this price range do not. There are some small irregularities here and there regarding the finish but nothing worth noting. A tremendous value and a great buy. Great for taking around town and not worrying too much. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Have already gigged with this guitar with more to come. Will let you know if it ever breaks down! I see this as the strong point for this guitar. Very durable feeling "like a tank". Can't wait for it to break in a little more and open up a bit. Finish seems very durable. There is only one strap button like many of the oldschool acoustics but I play sitting down so not a big deal to me. If I need to use a strap, it can be attached to the headstock like in the '70's. Who cares. // 10

Overall Impression: Great guitar, hard to beat the value. Have been playing for close to two decades! Originally compared this to the Fenders and Ibanez' in it's price range but saw no comparison there. To find something worthy of a comparison, you'd have to look at the Seagulls. But the Seagull model comparable to this has no binding and is like $100 more. No thanks. Wish the bass response was a little better but for the price, I am willing to compromise. Also looked at the Carvin 750c. Seems nice but I need to try before I buy. This guitar has that nice tight feel right out of the box. I see this as the ideal guitar for a working Acoustic musician. Especially the singer/songwriter types or a coffehouse/bar player, etc. Low maintenance, with the tuner on there, etc. so you're good to go! If it were stolen I would buy another one as soon as possible. // 9

D10SCE Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 20, 2005

Purchased from: Guitar World

Features: Made in china in 2004. 20 frets, with a solid spruce top. Dreadnought cutaway with Equis Extra preamp with bass, mid, treble, presence, notch filter and volume. // 10

Sound: Very nice sound. It sounds fantastic both plugged in and unplugged. Even with a cutaway it sounds much nicer than my full bodied Yamaha dreadnought (although that could just be the fact that my Yamaha is a piece of crap). The notch filterm on the preamp does a very good job of making the output sound much less noisier. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Very nicely set up straight out of the box. Low action which makes playing a breeze. The guitar looks amazing, the photo doesn't do it justice. The back and sides especially look wonderful. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Very sturdy guitar, no loose parts. Seems to be built like a tank. Very nice finish which seems to be of very high quality. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is an absolute steal for the money I paid. The store I bought it from suggested I also try an Ibanez they had on sale, obviously I chose the Washburn. This was mainly because I preferred the sound of the Washburn, and the appearance of the Ibanez was simply crap. If it were lost or stolen I would definantly save up another 500 bucks and buy it again. The only thing I wish it had was a second strap button, but thats easily installed. Overall, an amazing guitar at an amazing price. If you need a quality acoustic electric cutaway with a solid top, that looks a million buck, this guitar is definantly for you. // 10

More Washburn reviews rating category latest review
+ WI66PRO 8.6 Electric Guitars 04/28/2014