DK20CET Review

manufacturer: Washburn date: 07/09/2009 category: Acoustic Guitars
Washburn: DK20CET
The DK20CET makes a solid starter guitar with classic acoustic tone that you can plug in. A preamp with tuner, cutaway body, select spruce top, and mahogany back and sides adds up to one nice instrument you can plug in.
 Features: 9.5
 9.2
 9.7
 8.6
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this gear:
DK20CET Reviewed by: SynGatesFan1, on june 16, 2008

Purchased from: Musicians friend

Features: This is an amazing guitar. I absolutly love it. I think it was made in the US but I'm not sure. Anyway, the DK20CET has 20 frets and a rosewood neck. Spruce top is pretty much the only color it comes in but it looks fantastic. Also the mahogany wood is a very nice touch. It is a cutaway dreadnoght and I think that's a great combination right there. Electronics or active and use a simple 9 watt batery. The controls are listed: volume, bass, treble, presence, middle. The Gold die-cast tuners are none locking but would you really need a locking system for an acoustic? It comes with a free gig bag, 3 straps, a pack of picks, a instrutional DVD and a crap load of other stuff I don't even know what to do with. // 9

Sound: The guitar fits my musical intrest very much. I play a lot of metal and classic rock but this is great for playing those ballads. I use a Crate Flexwave 120 half stack with it and it sounds great. I use the delay effect once in a while and that sounds fantastic. Definently not noisy on any setting. It may be bright but I'm not sure. It has a lot of variety if you put it at the right settings. The controls are sensitive and I guess that's ok. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up pretty well and it looks beautiful. Everything is perfectly set up on this guitar. No flaws whatsoever. This guitar is perfect! I really think Washburn did a good job with this one. It's only 200 bucks but it's made with $500 worthof material. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is built like a tank. It's great for Live shows. Everything seems like it will last. I haven't tried the strap yet so I'll tell you later. I probably would use this in a gig and I wouldn't need a back up but it can't hurt to be safe. The finish looks great and I don't think it will fade any time soon. // 10

Overall Impression: As stated before this guitar suits me well. I've been playing for about 5 years abd I own a lot of gear. I don't think I wanna list all of the gear. It would take to long. I don't wish for much but I wouldn't want to ask questions. I would seriously buy another one. It's great! I hate absolutly nothing about this guitar. One thing for sure is that it's sexy. I love the carmel outline on the edges. I chose this guitar over the Ibanez dreadnought acoustic because of the look and it was better than the Ibanez. The only thing I wish it had was a different pick guard but it doesn't matter that much. // 9

DK20CET Reviewed by: fattestpenguin, on july 09, 2009

Purchased from: Uptown Music

Features: I bought this guitar recently, it has a spruce top, mahogany for the neck and sides, and a rosewood fingerboard. The saddle and nut are plastic, but resist wear good enough. The guitar has a cutaway dreadnought shape. There is celluloid binding around the edges which looks very nice. My DK20CET came with the Washburn WT-92 preamp/EQ and auto built in tuner. xlr and 1/4 output for playing hooked up. Came with a gig bag and strap both of decent quality. // 10

Sound: When I first got the guitar, it rattled just a little, and the tone of the factory strings wasn't quite up to my standard. After realizing all I needed was a slight truss rod adjustment the rattling stopped. I replaced the factory strings with GHS White Bronze Acoustic Electric strings which sound amazing with this guitar because the DK20CET is a bright sounding guitar. Because it's not completely solid wood, the guitar isn't very loud when not hooked up, compared to some other solid wood guitars. What's really good about this guitar though is how great it sounds hooked up, it's unbelievable, especially for the price. I played it on my friend's Line 6 setup in his basement, and the treble, bass and middle are just right when adjusted properly on the built-in preamp. It has a very full sound when hooked up. This guitar is most suitable for rock or blues, as well as similar genres. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish when I bought the guitar was amazing. Over the time I've had the guitar the finish has had to stand up to a lot, and still looks great. The action is low and easy to play; it plays almost like an electric guitar. With my adjustment to the truss rod (I tightened it), there is no rattling at all on any fret. Though the nut and saddle are plastic they still hold up well and don't significantly affect playability or sound. The only complaint I had originally was loose tuning pegs, but I tightened them up and now they don't rattle when I play bass notes. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think that this guitar was made for playing live, what with the built in tuner and preamp. It's not difficult at all to get it hooked up and sounding great. The strap buttons are solid, it's dependable, and the finish is definitely good enough to last; I got sand in my gig bag when I was playing on a beach and it's hardly scratched. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock and alternative on this guitar, and it's perfect for both. It also sounds great when its played for blues or even jazz if you put more mellow strings on it. I've only been playing for 3 years now but I've seen and played enough other guitars to know that this guitar is fantastic for the price. If I lost this guitar, I would definitely buy another, or get the newest model from the DK CET line. Best Features -Great electronics -Amazing finish -Bright sound -Sounds fantastic hooked up and Acoustic, just a little quiet Acoustic // 10

More Washburn reviews rating category latest review
+ RX50 7.8 Electric Guitars 03/26/2014