WD750SWCE Review

manufacturer: Washburn date: 11/24/2011 category: Acoustic Guitars
Washburn: WD750SWCE
I'll keep it simple by saying that I have no regrets. This guitar has exceeded my expectations and you've got to love it when that happens.
 8.9
 9.4
 8.3
review (1) pictures (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
WD750SWCE Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 24, 2011

Features: Bought brand new so I'll assume it to be built in 2010 or 2011. Dreadnaught body style with 20 frets and a 25.5" scale. Solid spruce top with solid ovenkol back and sides. Mahogany neck with rosewood fingerboard and two-way truss rod. Neck is natural satin finished, the rest is natural high gloss. Rosewood bridge. Chrome Grover tuners. Includes Fishman 501-T Blend system electronic package, which includes on board tuner. Lots of nice trim elements like multi-layer wood binding, abalone soundhole rosette and rosewood veneer on headstock and neck heel. Bought mine with no case. // 9

Sound: I can be heard playing any kind of rock, pop, blues, alternative etc... Pretty much any style other than country or jazz. This guitar does them all well. I sometimes play it through my Roland AC-90 and it sounds great with the Fishman preamp which seems to preserve the nice tone of the guitar without coloring it adversely. Includes 3 band EQ, an effective notch filter and on board tuner. Really nice for a wide variety of tones is the blend control which allows for mixing the saddle transducer sound with the mic sound. Basically, the guitar sounds killer unplugged or plugged in. Reacts well whether I'm flat-picking, fingerpicking or strumming. Also seems to be particularly well intonated. No tuning issues at all. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar arrived reasonably well set-up. I am pretty picky though so I went through my usual pop new strings on, check and adjust the truss rod and check intonation right out of the box. I have my action set pretty low and I typically play with a pretty light touch, but it plays great with no buzzing issues even if I hit it really hard. Fit and finish is just outstanding, in my opinion it rivals guitars that cost two or three times its price. The neck set seems perfect, the nut needed no filing, fretwork is clean and smooth, frets are all seated very well and crowned very nicely. Nice, consistent grain in every piece of wood. Finish looks to be expertly applied. Electronics function properly. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Time will tell but so far all seems built to last. Being an all solid wood guitar I will be wary of temperature and humidity issues as I would with any all solid guitar. Overall I feel confident that this guitar will stand and deliver and yes, I would gig with it without a backup. A few years from now I expect it will be the same guitar it is today, only sounding better with age. My rating in this category reflects that I haven't owned it long enough to speak to its long-term performance but my confidence in it is high. // 8

Overall Impression: I bought this guitar sight unseen via eBay because I had heard good things about both the model and series. I'll keep it simple by saying that I have no regrets. It has exceeded my expectations and you've got to love it when that happens. If it were stolen I would replace it with the exact same thing. // 10

More Washburn reviews rating category latest review
+ WI66PRO 8.6 Electric Guitars 04/28/2014