TO-8418 Slope-Shoulder Review

manufacturer: Wechter date: 02/04/2014 category: Acoustic Guitars
Wechter: TO-8418 Slope-Shoulder
There is nothing I dislike about this Wechter. It's why I still have it.
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
TO-8418 Slope-Shoulder Reviewed by: mymartind35, on february 04, 2014

Features: It's a 2009 spruce top, mahogany back and sides (all solid wood), the neck is rosewood and so is the pyramid bridge. I put a rosewood John Pearse armrest on it. It's a slot-head and I replaced the tuners with Grover Sta-Tites 18:1. There are no electronics. The stock case is a site to see. Brown alligator skin (faux) with a really nice handle. It has a long scale 25 1/2 neck and 1 and 7/8 nut width. 12-fret to the body. I got the guitar for so cheap, because nobody knows what a Wechter is. I sure do now. I hope it stays that way so I can get another this cheap. I also like the fact the pickguard comes separate from the guitar. I don't scratch the top because I do play with my fingers. I love this guitar even though it was made in China. // 10

Sound: I never really cared for the mahogany sound until I got this guitar. Every note is clear, distinct and loud. I play fingerstyle guitar and the wide neck is perfect for it. I put D'Adarrio mediums on it and this guitar sings. It's also great for alternate tunings. I play open "G" and open "D". It's great because I play at a "singin" at the first Friday of every month and when we're all playing together, it comes through loud and clear. I don't have to beat it to be heard, unlike others. I use heavier picks and that makes the bottom end leap out. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was sent to a PLEK machine after it was finished and the intonation is spot-on. I took the included truss rod wrench and took out a little height of the strings and it plays like popcorn smells. The person who owned it before me somehow let a crack develop on the back, but it was quickly repaired with cleats and it won't happen again. It already had a bone nut and saddle on it when I purchased it. Other than the tuners, the guitar is like it was new. Google "Plek" and see what it tells you. The system is simply amazing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has been to several jams and it sticks out of the crowd even against it's more expensive counterparts. The guitars are out of production so there aren't going to be any more. Though if you look you can find just about every model. This guitar is built to last a very long time. It weighs hardly nothing (meaning it's not over-built) and the mahogany back and sides paired with the spruce top will last a very long time. This guitar does not need a backup. Other than the crack, there wasn't a scratch on it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play oldies rock, country (real, not this pop stuff), blues, gospel, and bluegrass. I've been playing 36 years and I have a '79 Martin D-35, a 2005 W597 Adamas, a 1994 Takamine EG334-C, a 2012 Takamine E406S-VS 00 New Yorker, a Morgan Monroe MM-3 F-style mandolin, a 1979 Alvarez Minstrel 5-string banjo, a Gretsch Americana series "Showdown," a 2013 Yamaha A3R-VS dreadnought, a 2012 AC3R-VS Yamaha Concert, a 1983 1111 Ovation Balladeer, and a 2013 Lanakai tenor ukulele. I play them all. There is nothing I dislike about this Wechter. It's why I still have it. Comparing guitars is like comparing women. They're all different. I see lots of people, who own a lot more guitars than I have, who never use them. I play every single one of my guitars. I just gravitate toward the 000, the 00, and the Concert. I did not hear a difference between this and the D-28 that was played next to me the other night. The owner wasn't happy to say the least. // 10

More Wechter reviews rating category latest review
+ Pathmaker SB Standard PM-7312 7.8 Electric Guitars 09/14/2012