B220CEQ Review

manufacturer: Westfield date: 12/29/2006 category: Acoustic Guitars
Westfield: B220CEQ
Simple and understated, the B220CEQ is a classy choice. Full size Dreadnought body gives a rich, deep tone, the cutaway allows easy access right up the top of the neck, and the pickup system allows easy plug 'n' play to any suitable amplifier when more volume is required.
 8.2
 8.2
 8.1
review (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
B220CEQ Reviewed by: Rock God #1, on december 29, 2006

Features: I don't have a clue when this guitar was made, but Westfield guitars is situated in Glasgow, Scotland. The guitar has 21 frets of regular size. The site doesn't tell you all of the details for this guitar, but I am pretty sure that it has a rosewood fretboard. As for the neck, I'm guessing it's maple. Here is what the site says about the guitar: - Dreadnought cutaway shape body. - Chrome Hardware, 3-a-side diecast closed back machineheads, triple ply abalone body binding on front. Abalone rosette with tortoise shell scratchplate. - Piezo type under-saddle pickup, with integrated Artec pre-amp system with 4 band Graphic Equalizer and battery check light. Body mounted jack socket. // 7

Sound: Despite the simplicity of the guitar, the sound that you can get out of it (plugged or unplugged) is rich and resonant. It suits my style very well, as I use the guitar to play any acoustic songs that I want to learn (indie rock mainly that is unplugged). Admittedly, I have only ever plugged this guitar into an amp twice over the 3 years that I have had it. Although it sounds good plugged in, I prefer it as an acoustic guitar. As with all acoustic guitars, it can be loud or quiet depending upon how hard you strum it. It definitely covers both dynamics. Because it's primarily an acoustic guitar, you won't be able to perform many techniques on it. Hammer-ons and pull-offs sound weak, along with artificial harmonics. However, tremolo picking works quite nicely. Nevertheless, you won't really need that many techniques on an acoustic guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on the guitar is low, and so string bends is quite tough on your fingers. The piezo pickup, like I said, works fine, but I prefer to use it as an acoustic guitar. The strings that came with it were fine (but because they were pretty standard, you would be best off changing them, as they rust very easily). The guitar didn't have any flaws on it when I bought it. I tried it in the shop just to make sure. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have used this guitar for Live performances before, and I am happy to say that it hasn't and probably won't let me down. The hardware has actually kept very well, unlike some of the other guitars that I have. The strap on my acoustic hasn't come off for a year, so I'm pretty confident in saying that the strap buttons are solid. The guitar is very dependable and I have and would use it in a gig again. The finish has kept well over the period of time that I have had it. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a wide variety of music, but for the acoustic songs that I play, this guitar definitely meets the standard that I expect. I have been playing for 4/5 years now, can't remember which. I own 6 other guitars (4 electrics, 1 electro acoustic and 1 shortscale bass). If this guitar were stolen again, I would go out and buy another Westfield acoustic (but maybe a bowlback instead). This has served me well and I hope it will continue to do so. // 9

More Westfield reviews rating category latest review
+ B1000 6.3 Bass Guitars 07/30/2013