JC Review

8.3
review (1) pictures (5) user comments vote for this gear:
JC Reviewed by: eric duling, on december 07, 2012

Purchased from: Gold Tone

Features: This is a new line of guitars from Goldtone built in China. I have the cutaway jumbo which astonishes me every day. It has a spruce top with sapele back and sides. Mine is tobacco burst but you can get natural or honeyburst. Tuners are their own gold plated model and they are as smooth as the grovers I've had. It comes with a super nice padded gigbag which is so much lighter and more handy than my hardshells. I got the Dean Markley Trilogy pickup in mine. This enables you to mix not only the peizzo but also the magnetic as well as the built-in microphone. Seriously, my friends who have heard me play this guitar through the coffee shop PA tell me it is the best sounding guitar I have. // 10

Sound: I am mostly a finger picker, and this jumbo just might be the best suited guitar I have owned. It has a fullness and clarity which I have never had before. I play it mostly through the big PA system at Coffee Amici here in town, and the accomplished guitarists who play there with me tell me it sounds as good as a Martin! One guy told me it sounded better. The style I like to play is fingerpicking arrangements of my favorite artists such as James Taylor, George Harrison, Jim Croce, Kenny Loggins mixed in with some newer musicians like Sister Hazel and Lifehouse. This guitar delivers on anything I play. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Seriously, this is the first time I have ever pulled a new guitar out of the case and found it set up just the way I like it. It has an unusually high bridge but low action. The bridge can be adjusted internally which transfers the stress to the end block. It also has a zero-glide nut which takes all the guesswork out of properly filing the right depth into a bone nut. My favorite innovation is the ergo-glide top which means the upper edge of the lower bout is chamfered. No more edgelines pressed into your arm after one set of playing! I pick up this guitar more often than any because the comfort alone is a big factor. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have played it live several times now and I think it looks, sounds and feels rock solid. I'd say every bit as solid as my Martins or my Gibson. I've already played it without bringing a backup guitar. The strap buttons are gold and very solid - one is the quarter inch jack which connects to the Trilogy pickup. Although most of the compliments I have received were about its tone, several have been in regard to the deep rich tobacco burst finish. Another thing the Wood Song folks have thought through is the satin finish on the back of the neck. It is so much more comfortable to slide chords up and down when it is not glossy. Also, they put binding not only around the body but also along the fretboard. Riffs that slide up and down the neck are smooth with no catches. // 10

Overall Impression: Playing the fingerpicking style I play, I cannot find a better match than this Jumbo. I swear it could broadcast across a gymnasium. I have been playing for over forty years now and I have had over twenty different guitars - Alvarez through Wood Song and until now I have always wondered what else was out there that might be better. I will keep my Baby Taylor for traveling on airplanes. I will also keep my Martins for their dreadnought sound and their heritage, but I will always keep my Wood Song Jumbo for its huge sound, comfort and playability. If I lost it I would get another just like it.

// 10