APX500 Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 08/30/2011 category: Acoustic Guitars
Yamaha: APX500
The APX500 features a beautiful mother-of-pearl sound hole ring inlay, white fingerboard binding, white/black body binding, mother-of-pearl APX & Yamaha headstock logos and position markers. This model comes in five amazing color variations.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.6
 Features: 9.4
 9.1
 9.3
 8.8
reviews (5) pictures (2) 13 comments vote for this gear:
APX500 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 19, 2010

Purchased from: Professional music technology

Features: I purchased this guitar a few days ago and instantly fell in love with it, I've just began playing acoustic after playing electric for about 3 years, its so easy to play with the Nice D shaped neck, the resonse to playing quietly and loudly in unbelievable, mellow when played quietly then really twangy when played louder, not sure about all the specs because I only recently bought it, but its definitly worth the money. // 10

Sound: I mainly play alternative/punk (Green Day, Paramore kinda stuff) music on my electric and I'm hoping to transfer these influences to my acoustic playing with a more serious twist. I've only played it through a micro cube amp but it sounds just as awesome through that as it does unplugged and you can suit it to twangy upbeat kinda stuff to more mellow songs with ease (just hit the strings hard or soft depending on what sound you want) overall, suited to any style for any player may it be begginer or experienced. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up absolutly faultlessly from the moment it came out the wrappings, frets are perfect with no loose wires, tuning pegs are absolutly solid (I always break tuning pegs on my electric, overall, no flaws manufacturing-wise solid guitar, if anything its slightly imbalanced a bit like a Gibson sg but a grippy strap will fix that easily. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would use this guitar in a gig without even thinking of using a back up, everything on it seems like it will last a very long time without breaking down or loosing any quality, can't really say much else because I haven't had the guitar long enough, sorry:) if you try one out before buying you'll be able to give your own opinion on its reliability (it depends on how often you play and how hard you play it) // 9

Overall Impression: If somebody stole this guitar off me or broke it, I would firstly find them, and torture them untill they give it me back (that was a joke, violence is bad kids) but I would certainly get a new one or something, however if you are looking to buy one of these don't get one off the internet because I had to try every different apx 500 in the shop (about 6 different apx 500's) before I found the one with the right sound but maybe that was just me being fussy. I compared this to the apx 700 and to be honest, both me and my friend prefered the 500 because it was just soo much easier to play, my favorite thing about this guitar is its versitality to everyones needs (my friends dad recommended it to me and he plays Folk stuff and I play modern stuff and we both loved it) overall, a brilliant guitar for anyone really, but the best reviews come from yourself so if you want one, go and try it yourself before you decide, after all, you'll be the one playing it and remember to try all the different models to get a comparison and idea of value for money. In my opinion and absoulutly awesome piece of guitar, well done Yamaha:) // 10

APX500 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 25, 2010

Purchased from: Dolphin Music

Features: Made in Indonesia (not sure about the year). It has 22 frets, of which they're all just about playable thanks to the cuttaway body. Not sure about the fret sizes, but the whole neck is very playable. I have quite short stubby fingers, but have had no problems with fitting my fingers into difficult chords or anything. The body is one of the most notable things about this guitar. It's a thinline, cuttaway accoustic. As a result its very easy to play, quite light and in some ways similar to an electric guitar in its feel. My guitar has a sunburst finish, though I believe there's a wide range of colours available. THe finish is to a good standard, and the whole guitar is finished to a very professional looking degree. Being an electro-acoustic, this guitar comes with some on-board electrics. It has volume and 3 EQ controls. It also has a very handy tuner on board. This is a really useful feature and one which lets you appear to possess perfect pitch when tuning up ;) // 10

Sound: The sound quality is very impressive impressive for this guitar, considering a) the price b) the thinline body and c) it's an electro-acoustic. Firstly, though its hardly a cheap guitar it was certainly one of the best sounding guitars in its price category that I've tried. The thinline body does result in the guitar being lacking in lower end sounds, though the volume, tone and high end sounds are all very impressive. I'm also impressed by the overall quality and brightness of the sound given its an electro-acoustic, as I've tried many electro-acoustics which were quite poor as a result of focussing too much on being either acoustic or electric. The sound does differ quite significantly when amplified, as you can imagine, but the sound remains bright and full of high end range. I play mainly folk/punk songs acoustically and this song suffices for those. I would like it to offer more in low ends, but obviously the thinline design makes this basically a physical impossibility. Regardless of that, it has a very bright, crisp and distinct sound, not lacking in volume as much as you'd expect for a guitar with a thinline body. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I've no complaints in regards to the action, although its maybe slightly on the low side, but really, if it is, its only a preferance of mine. The finish is excellant, looks great, not a scratch on it. In fact, generally looks great, very professional looking, well marked frets etc. The fit's very good as well. Nothing's loose, the tuning pegs are fine, the electrics look aliright so far and the lead input is very secure. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've only had it a little over a week, so I can't give any guarentees as to long life. It looks and feels fine though. I've had other instruments before and this seems at least as durable as they did when I first got them, if not better. Cos of the on board electrics I am a little worried about not knocking it over, but as I haven't done that so far I can't judge how it will react ;) Otherwise, the finish looks like it'll last, the strap + cable input areas look very solid and if I gigged with it - which I hope to - I'd be happy to without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I own a cheap electric guitar and have to say this has been great as a transition to acoustic playing. I've never been a fan of dreadnaughts and when looking to get an acoustic was initially looking at a Folk sized guitar. As it was I got this one, after being impressed by the practicaly thinline body, which still sounds very good. Its not a 'perfect' match for the types of music I play, but equally it's not very far off. The sound does lack low end, bass but with the electric capability you can create a deeper sound thanks to the onboard EQ and amp. Anyhoo, sound wise its great acoustically and thanks to the body and decent sound when amplified it makes for a great transition guitar from electric to acoustic. If I were to look at replacing it for similar price I'd definately get another, or might eve look into stretching for the more expensive apx700 model. I compared it to several other Folk sized and thinline acoustics, as well as one or two dreadnaughts. I liked the body size which makes it very playable, equally it has some great features (electrics + tuner) to make it more alluring than plain acoustics. So yeah, great guitar, has areas where its not so good, but on the whole I think about the best electro-acoustic in the price range, and certainly a great option for anyone wanting a smaller bodied guitar or wanting to move from electric to acoustic playing. Not perfect, but very good. // 9

APX500 Reviewed by: Reizei, on april 28, 2011

Purchased from: Local Store

Features: This amazing steel string cutaway guitar was made in Indonesia in 2009. There's 22 frets unsure about what type but its a thin line guitar with sruce top, nato neck and sides with a rosewood fingerboard. I purchased an oriental blue burst hi-gloss finish. A rosewood bridge with active 1 way piezo pick up and 3 band equalizer and a built in tuner.Die cast chrome tuners, you have the normal volume control and ur equalizer for low mids and hi's and an adjustable AMF control. // 9

Sound: For my classical style this guitar is amazing its very bright and clear with no fret buzz. I've only used it through an amp maybe 3 times but I used an Epiphone 15r, it sounded clear just a bit muffled but that's more of the amp not the guitar, I played with all the setting and it can go to very high to low. The lower haronics are a bit hard to hear if you tune using harmonics but if its a problem it does have an extremely accurate built in tuner that's easy to use. Not much variety for an acoustic. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: My guitar was set up perfectly I haven't had any problems. I don't really use the pick ups at all because I don't use it through an amp. Now earlier I said I had a oriental blue burst finish, the stock picture for this color is a dark blue but that camera must be wrong because the finish isnt blue at all its more of a dark turquoise, its a BEAUTIFUL guitar regardless I prefer the color it is over the stock image whenever I pull it out people and friends glance twice to see it and always ask how much I paid for it because its that nice, mine had no flaws its been reliable since I got it.It stays in tune extremely well I maybe have to tune every other day if I'm picky, if wanting to drop to D I can easily because its a bright sounding guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've been playing live with this guitar for a year and playing it every day for almost 2 years, it can withstand live playing, for hardware it seems like it'll last, the strap locks are solid. This is only Acoustic I depend on because I know it wont fail me I don't gig with a back up because its just that dependable, that's just me it would be smart if you're gigging to havea back up thought just in case. The finish lasts as long as you don't abuse the guitar, I've banged mine a lot and hit many other head stocks but only have 2 nail thin peelings on the guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: With this guitar I play classical music and its AMAZING if you need a steel string with a cutaway to get up to the higher frets. I've been playing classical for about 4 years and really only own a cheap 50$ Acoustic besides this. I don't regret buying this guitar at all it is well worth every penny and if this were broken or stolen or something I wouldn't be willing buy this guitar again or even the next series.I love EVERYTHING about this guitar except for the little plastic things that keep the strings in the bridge, I prefer elixir strings and they seem to not fit so have to put tape around the little pegs to keep it in, surprisingly it works and hasn't affected tuning or anything. Overall this guitar is the best 300$ you can spend for a brand new steel string acoustic, its got a cut away, great bright clear tone stays in tune and performs jsut as well as you do live so if you're looking for a new steel string and want something cheap I highly advise this guitar, you wont regret it, this baby performs way beyond what it cost. // 9

APX500 Reviewed by: y2k11hmmm?, on july 06, 2011

Purchased from: American Music

Features: My 2010 APX 500 was made in Indonesia, this 22 fret acoustic-electric. It has nato back and laminate spruce top. It is a thinline, and has a remarkably skinny fretboard, so it caters to players with smaller hands. The neck finish is a high gloss lacquer, so when your hand gets sweaty, the thing slows down. The body shape is a single cutaway that looks slightly warped. It has active electronics powered by a 9V battery. You get high, low, and mid contour controls, as well as a frequency slider. There is also a volume knob. The pickups are Yamaha stock and are saddle mounted. The tuners are also Yamaha stock, non-locking. I got a $200 case with mine, but that was just because of the store I was in. // 9

Sound: The sound is simply incredible for the price and the body depth. It is mellow and quiet when played lightly, and responds with twang when you push it. It is silent only when you want it to be. It is rich, full, and deep, with good response in every style I've put it through. It sparkles like polaris. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup was lousy when I bought it, but being a home luthier has its advantages! After I adjusted and tweaked it a bit, it was playing like my pa's Vintage Martin. Well, almost half as well. The plastic ring around the oval soundhole had a few chips in it, but nothing wrong with it affected the sound and playability. // 9

Reliability & Durability: All I have to say about this guitar is that you can sit on it rather hard, and you can still fix it in an hour or two. Or for sixty bucks at your local shop. I would definitely use this at a gig, but would not depend on it solely. The finish is prefect all over the guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I play many styles, and it fits all (because I don't play metal). I have played or five years, and I own mostly electric things. If someone were to steal this guitar, I would buy a Martin or Taylor - wait, no! I would look up where a spleen was located, and then track them down and rip it out from them! It's got my blood in it c'mon! There isn't a thing about it that I don't both love and hate. I chose this because it sounded good and was cheap. I wish it was louder. // 9

APX500 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 30, 2011

Purchased from: Guitar Center Toledo

Features: I love the easy to use electronics on this guitar. The body is solid spruce top with nato sides and back, very durable. The neck is rosewwod and narrow, very well built and feels sturdy. Great for smaller hands and less expert players. The thinline body is very comfortable. The playability is the main reason for me choosing this guitar. I'm 5'8" and muscular so this guitar fits perfectly and feels great. // 9

Sound: Very balanced, bright tone. I knew I was sacfricing some bass and volume with the thin body, but was impressed with it nonethless. If you play mainly unplugged by yourself or in a small group its great. Also less over tone with the balance. Plugged in the sound is great. Higher pitched chords are very bright and clear. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is low and feels great. The lacker finish is smooth. The back of the neck is smooth and sturdy. Even if your hand gets sweaty, it still slides nicely on neck. I had no flaws on this guitar. The mother of pearl inlay around the sound hole is nice. The over-all craftmanship was good. I think it is a great looking guitar. One other attraction to it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: My buddy had this same guitar for 10 years and speaks highly of it. He has taken may places and used it in gigs. He also has 14 other guitars that range in value up to $2000.00. I've had mine for a week, so the test of time hasn't been taken yet. The craftmanship seems solid and strudy without flaws. // 10

Overall Impression: A bit about me 1st. My self evaluation is an expert novice (ha). I play mainly chord strumming songs from Pearl Jam, Cat Stevens, Neil Young, CSN and many more. I spent weeks researching guitars before making this purchase. I narrowed it down to a mini jumbo Seagull and the APX. I knew I was sacrifcing some craftmanship for electronics, but the guitar is very well built and sturdy. A less important feature, but weighed in for me nontheless is that the guitar looks really cool. I love the balanced tone and less over toning. I have an Epiphone dreadnought also. I would recommend and replace this guitar if needed. // 9

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ THR10X 9.3 Guitar Amplifiers 09/08/2014