CPX700 Review

reviews (2) user comments vote for this gear:
CPX700 Reviewed by: sixwingmortal, on july 07, 2008

Price paid: C$ 650

Purchased from: Guitarworks

Features: To produce its warm tone and even bass response, the CPX700 features a unique body size, slightly smaller than a full-size jumbo, for the perfect combination of sound, looks and comfort. The guitar features a solid spruce top and nato back and sides and produces a bright, richly textured sound - one that, thanks to the solid spruce top, will mature with age. The 1-way pickup is matched to the System 56 preamp, featuring our ultra-musical 3-band EQ and adjustable mid frequency control for powerful, versatile tone-shaping. Like all the other CPX and APX guitars, an integrated tuner is always available. // 10

Sound: This acoustic fits with many styles. Play some rock and it'll sound good. Play some metal? Probably wouldn't sound good. But anything acoustic sounds beautiful and seductive. The sound is rich, full, and hums attractively. Mostly a standard acoustic sound, nothing too special. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar didn't have any defects or anything. The strings were sort of worn down, but that's because it was sitting at the shop for a few months. I can't really understand the tuner. It's a low quality tuner, but if you've got nothing, it's the most convenient tuner. The fretboard is less than noticeable. it's just some plastic thing they put on there, which is fine, but after long hours of playing, you'll see some scratches if you look very closely. That's all the bad things about it. Everything thing else was lovingly put together. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is reliable so far. Nothing bad has happened to it for my 8-10 months of playing. Not many scratches either, only on the fretboard. This is one definite thing I can depend on it for: picking up beautiful babes. This is one beautiful instrument that sounds great. Any girl that watches any dude play will fall in love. With that in mind, I will keep this acoustic forever. // 10

Overall Impression: So I play rock and light stuff, the look and sound of this guitar suits it exactly. I've been playing it for maybe 8-10 months and this was my first guitar. It's a great guitar and I'm happy for my first price. It fit the price range perfectly as well. This is one of the most beautiful acoustic guitars I have seen, and I own it! Many girls love this acoustic as well, it's beautiful, and the sound of the acoustic (no matter how crappy you play) will drive the ladies wild! Definitely a good choice guitar. // 9

CPX700 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 15, 2011

Features: I don't know the year it was made. But it is made in China (don't be fooled by where it comes from because it sounds amazing). There are 20 frets on a bound rosewood fretboard. Don't know the size of the frets. One thing I must say is that this guitar has the smoothest neck that I have ever played on, fits my hands perfectly, even though I have quite small hands (no I am not a chick). The woods in the guitar are Nato on the back and sides and the front is solid spruce. The bridge is also made from rosewood and there is a piezo pickup under it. The guitar is a cutaway that looks somewhat like an oversized les paul. It didn't come with anything when I bought it. The tuners are non-locking but my guitar rarely goes out of tune (with emphasis on rarely). // 8

Sound: I normally play electric guitar and I play rock, blues rock, classic rock, and most of the "true" metals (I.e Thrash, Death, Black, Heavy etc.). But I've started learning clean a while ago and I wanted to start playing acoustic as well, so I went to the store and picked this thing up, played around with it. If you are looking for a wonderful guitar for a good price, this is it. It is noisy if I plug it into my amp and turn on the distortion, otherwise not. The sound is quite full with a touch of brightness to it. It is an acoustic guitar, so it sounds like an acoustic guitar. Pinch harmonics don't go down well but natural harmonics sound great. The one thing I dislike is that when you want to play through an amp you need to turn all the settings on the pickup all the way up, otherwise it wont give off much sound. Therefore I give it a 9. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish looks like it's going to last. The set up was fine and I haven't changed anything with the guitar since I bought it. The top is solid so it is not bookmatched and the bridge is routed perfectly. There are no flaws on this guitar that I have noticed, the pickguard (see thru) is mounted perfectly, the bridge is where it is supposed to be, so are the tuners and the nut. Since I haven't found any flaws and the finish seems to last I am giving it a 9. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will defenetely withstand live playing, I already have played live with it. The hardware is quality stuff and I do not think it will break down. The strap buttons are great, I have problems pulling off the strap (which is a good thing because the strap wont fall off when you stand up). // 9

Overall Impression: I play rock, blues, blues rock, metal and some country or acoustic rock (if there is such a thing). It suits my playing, the neck is amazing, smooth on the back an fits my hand like a glove. If it was stolen I would defenetely not hesitate to buy a new one. This guitar is great for the price. I played a few Taiwanese Takamines and a few Epiphones in the shop, the Yamaha beat them all. // 10

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ AC3R 8.9 Acoustic Guitars 10/30/2014