F310 Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 01/10/2012 category: Acoustic Guitars
Yamaha: F310
20 Frets with a Solid Top. Medium Jumbo Frets.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.2
 Features: 8.3
 8.5
 8.4
 8.5
reviews (18) pictures (3) 48 comments vote for this gear:
F310 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 15, 2005

Features: My guitar is new, manufactured within the past few years. It was made in Indonesia by a thrid party manufacture, but to Yamaha specs (all of the F310 are made like this). It has 20 frets, and interestingly enough, the fingerboard is narrower than most guitars. It fits my smaller hands perfectly, especially when playing chords. The top is spruce, laminated, with natural finish. The sides and back are made of Meranti (have no idea what kind of tree that is), fingerboard and bridge are made Rosewood, and the neck is of Nato. It's a dreadnought guitar style, and just looks great. // 8

Sound: The sounds is beautiful, especially since that it's new, and the sounds has yet to develop with age (I can't wait to hear it in a few years). It has a mellower, deeper sound than most guitars, and sound just resonates clearly from it. I play both finger picking songs and rock songs, and both sound great on it. I'm glad my sister picked out the guitar, since she is musically trained and specifically picked the F310 out of all other guitars because of the sound. I owe her one. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Once the string stretched, I've had no problems so far with tuning. I've read that a fret can become dead, but I'm just hoping that it's just a one time thing with that person. No problems with the guitar, even my friend who has played his whole life has admitted that the F310 has been the most user friendly guitar he's seen in a while in the price bracket. Good thing too, since I'm a beginner and have no idea how to deal with problems with guitars. Knock on wood. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Since it's fairly new, I haven't been dinging it up. I have been very careful with it, but I've seen reviews stating that the durability is next to none to the other guitars in the price bracket. The only problem I have is that my case's zipper scratches the edges of the body and the finish has come off but hell, I use it for the sound, not the look. I'm worried a bit about the strap button, being plastic, but I don't plan on using a strap for a while, so it's on the backburner on my mind. // 10

Overall Impression: Wow. Just wow. I love it. It sounds great, looks great and my sister didn't have to morgage her condo to buy it for me. It's my first guitar, and I plan on keeping it for a long while, and will keep it until she falls apart. I will never replace her, and only will get another guitar that can be plugged into an amp but I'm a poor student, so that won't be for a while. Kudos to Yamaha for making a high quality, great sounding guitar for a wonderful price. I'm hooked on Yamaha F310. // 10

F310 Reviewed by: Slightly, on november 18, 2005

Features: It would have been manufactured within the past few years, it was made in Indonesia with specific specs from Yamaha. It has 20 frets, whith top is spruce, laminated, with natural finish. The sides and back are made of Meranti fingerboard and bridge are made Rosewood, and the neck is of Nato. It is a very good looking guitar, and the neck is a little smaller than other guitars to it is a great guitar for the learning. // 9

Sound: I have a wide range of style, but I mainly play rock and this guitar certainly does the job. It has a very deep and clear sound that is easy on the ears. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar would have to be the most user friendly guitar I have ever seen, there is no trouble tuning it. It stays in tune for a long time and it is built well so there is no problem in the design of it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would not be the preferable guitar used for playing live, I tried putting a pick up in it once and it isnt the best sound. However, it is very durable for around the house playing.. and in front of small audiences where a pick up is not needed because I have banged it against pretty much everything and there are only a couple of little chips that you can barely see. You can definitely depend on this guitar, not for a live gig though. The finish, especailly on the scrath plate does last and dosn't wear off at all. // 8

Overall Impression: I think that this is a very good guitar for the starting out because the neck is alot smaller than other guitars and it gives out a great sound, and not to mention that it is a very cheap price. I highly doubt professionals would use it for gigs, because it is mainly a learning guitar. I made a good choice by getting this guitar, I have learnt so much from it. If it was stolen or lost I would probably buy another one. I love the sound and the reliability mainly but I hate the fact that it sounds pretty bad when a pick up has been added. Overall, quality guitar for starters for a good price. // 8

F310 Reviewed by: DarkGuitarist07, on february 16, 2004

Features: I have no idea where this guitar was made but I believe it is about 10 years old... it had basically unknown origins. It has 20 frets with a solid top. I also do not know the wood but it is very excellent quality... much more than I expected out of a Yamaha. It is a dreadnought acoustic. The frets are medium jumbo with another suberb quality of wood. The only problem is that I bought this guitar used to the 16th fret is higher than the 15th which gives a twangy sound, but besides that, awesome. // 10

Sound: It fits my music style perfectly which is a range of rock, anywhere from hard to soft and it works for everything. The sound is very rich and bright, very unique like nothing I have ever heard. The has and awesome variety of sounds and changes with the strings, but all are awesome. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar used (my first guitar ever) and it looked brand new. The strings were not too high or low to the neck and the action is great. The pieces were all in order and nothing was flawed except the 15 fret which was worn down with age, not quality. Besides that, the finish and everything is great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The only problem with this guitar is that it had only the bottom strap button, and it was plastic and it constantly fell of but that was quickly fixed with a little hot glue. I am planning on replacing it with metal strap buttons and adding a new one behind the neck. The hardware is perfect, nothing wrong at all. This guitar has been dropped, scraped, hit, and had a fold up bed actually dropped on it and it still looks new. This guitar could withstand live playing and I could easily trust it, in fact I plan on using it in my school's talent show. I can easily depend on it. I would use this in a gig without backup without any worries at all. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar fits my style perfectly and is a better match than heaven itself. I have been only playing for 6 months, but I practice 5 hours daily and my friend, who has been playing for 5 years, says I play like I've been playing for 2 years. He has gone through about 3 acoustics and he desperately wants mine due to its incredible quality. I have played a lot of Jay Jr.'s and other acoustics, including Taylors and I think this one is the best. I would definetely buy this guitar again and I only wish I could have bought it new. I have nothing to hate about it and the only thing I wish it had was another strap button. Overall, the guitar rocks! // 10

F310 Reviewed by: Green Offspring, on august 03, 2005

Features: The Yahmaha F310 has 21 frets, 14-15 frets useable, depending how good you are. They are jumbo/medium sized frets. Rosewood fret board. I think (I think, not I know) the body and neck would is maple. A nice guitar. Please note, these guitar are more expensive in shops. It was 60 because my guitar teacher sold it to me. They would probaly be this price in shops used. Mine was new so I got a good deal. There about $130 new in shops. // 10

Sound: I play mainly punk and this guitar is perfect. It has a nice deep sound, very full, very rich, very nosiy, very good. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I can't comment because it was set up again before I got it. My friend has one and he said it was fantastic. He's been playing acoustic for 9 years so I trust him. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I find it is easy to chip, but nothing else is that bad. // 8

Overall Impression: This for rock, punk and similar music styles. If you play classical stay clear, this guitar is too deep. I've been play electric for 4 years and acoustic for 2. I own a Gibson Les Paul, a Fender Standard Telecaster, and this Yamaha. If it was lost or stolen, I would buy it again, even twice the price. Don't play this guitar, live it. // 10

F310 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 29, 2008

Purchased from: Dawsons (Manchester)

Features: Mine's a made in Indonesia F-310. Not sure what year it was made, but The F-310 was my first ever guitar of any type. I picked it up Brand New boxed in the summer of 2004, and I doubt it was hanging around in the shop for that long; the assistant said the F-310's their most popular beginner's acoustic. It's a 20-fret neck, which is quite thin compared to some other acoustics I've experienced, but not ridiculously so. I'm pretty sure it's a spruce top, but it's not solid-top. I'd have to say that the sound is pretty decent for a laminate-top guitar though. I've kept the stock tuners since I've had it; they're pretty unremarkable steel ones. There is only one strap button. The pickguard is black plastic; pretty standard really. I got mine with a cheapish case and a tuner, but these cost extra (about 25 for the two? ) // 8

Sound: The sound is pretty bright. I'm pretty sure the strings that mine came with were.011s at most. I replaced them pretty quickly with.013s and haven't really gone with anything of a lower gague than that since. The heavier strings really bring out a fuller sound. I ceratinly found it just a little too bright with lighter strings. Heavier strings are useful for playing in dropped tunings too, if that's something you're interested in. I've mostly used D'Addario strings, although I will pick up some Martins from time to time. I mostly play Folk songs, acoustic versions of various styles of rock, and a little bit of blues. I do a lot of finger-picking. I'd be lying if I said that the F-310 had a massive range of voices on offer, but it handles anything that I've ever played adequately, and for Folk I've not heard anything better in this price range. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Out of the box, the action was high. I would say significantly higher than average. Being a complete beginner when I got the guitar though, I didn't realise this. So I soldiered on with this high action, and I have to say that, in the long run I think it benefitted my playing. Perhaps if my style was more dependent on rhythmic strumming, rather than picking, I would have sanded the bridge to lower the action, but I think that my hand strength and dexterity has improved as a result of the high action. Barre chords were pretty tough for those first few months though. If you have weaker or smaller hands, you might want to look at lowering the action if it's as high as mine was (although I think the narrow neck helps alleviate some of the problems for people with smaller hands). The finish was great out of the box. I mean, being a cheap guitar, there's nothing especially fancy about it, but there were no flaws at all, either from the factory or the shop. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've had the guitar for just over four years now and it's still going strong. I'd say I play it a minimum of four times a week. Obviously Live playing is a different prospect with an acoustic than with an electric. I wouldn't have any reservations about using it Live though, in terms of durability at least. Obviously, if I was gigging regularly to decent crowds (I wish! ) then I might want to invest in something more expensive simpy because it would have better tone. The one problem I've had with durability is the tuner for the G-string. After a couple of years of play the screws holding it in place began to work themselves loose of the headstock. I saw a luthier, Who said that it was a common problem, even in much more expensive guitars, then told me how to remove the tuner, fill in hole and refit the tuner. It was a pretty simple operation, and I've had no problems since. Aside from this problem, the guitar tends to hold it's tune pretty well, actually. I rarely use a strap, but the strap button has never been a problem when I have. I've never had any problems with corrosion of metal parts. I've never had any problems with warping of the neck or body. Over the years a few chips have been taken off the finish, mostly from banging off frames and desks and the like, but nothing major. Just adds a bit of character without affecting the sound. All in all it doesn't look too much different than it did four years ago, and the sound hasn't deteriorated one bit. // 9

Overall Impression: I would recommend the F-310 to any beginner Who can afford it, and to those Who can afford something a bit more expensive as well. I've not really played a better acoustic than this until you start pushing above twice the price I payed for mine. I'd say, basically, if your budget is 150 or less, definitely try out an F-310; you might find it performs quite admirably alongside 120-150 guitars. If mine were stolen, I doubt that I would replace it with another F-310. Firstly because I'm looking to Switch to more electric playing, and secondly because after four years of playing, I think I'm ready to move on to something more expensive (man, I'd love a Seagull). All in all though, it's been a better first guitar than I ever imagined. I never thought it would last for four years as my main acoustic, or that it would even still be in one piece. I definitely made the right choice in buying this guitar. It's not a masterpiece of instrument-making, but for a budget guitar, I've never seen better. // 8

F310 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 26, 2009

Features: I bought it about 10 months ago in Crowleys in cork (the shop where Rory Gallagher bought his first strat) for around 130 euro. Everything is really expensive in ireland, so it would probably be cheaper in other countries. It came with a spare set of strings, a padded gig-bag, & they threw in some picks aswell. It was made in Indonesia. The neck is slightly chunky, but not too thick, it has 20 frets. It has a Dreadnought style body, a cutaway would have been nice, especially as my style of playing uses a lot of the higher frets. It only has one strap button, so you have to tie a strap around the headstock, it seems sturdy though. I'm thinking of adding a second strap button. The tuners are good, they stay in tune for a long time. I'm going to give it 8 for features, because although the included bag and strings made it good a good choice for a beginner (it was my first guitar), the lack of a cutaway started to annoy me as I developed my own style of playing, and it could have done with another strap button. // 8

Sound: I think it has a good sound for price it was, some cheaper guitars sound really awful and can put beginners off learning to play. It has I nice clear soft sound, but can sound harder and more twangy depending on picking position and strength. I like to play a kind of experimental dance-rock music and I make up a lot of my songs while messing around on this guitar, but I would mainly play them on my electric. I like to use muted picking, and it sounds good on this guitar. I also like to play finger picking occasionally. The sound isnt amazing or anything, but I think it's better than you would expect for a guitar of this price. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is good, there isnt any buzz, it was really well set up when I got it, which was good because I wouldn't have known how to adjust it because it was my first guitar. I'd say it was set up in the shop, crowleys staff know what they're doing, so it mightn't set up as well in a different shop. The finish doesnt't scratch easily. The pick guard is black plastic and has barely any scratches (I realized while writing this that I forgot to take off the plastic covering, I can't take it off now because my prized Radiohead sticker would go with it... ). The guitar doesnt't have any flaws(none that my untrained eyes noticed anyway... ). // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a tank. I've dropped it, smashed it into things, slipped in the rain while running to catch a bus with it on my back (that was actually my other guitar, but it makes the story more interesting), and my sister is endlessly knocking it over. I brought it on a camping trip in the summer. It survived the bus journey that my ipod almost didn't (stolen by junkies, and was retreived by the police while the bus stopped for a toilet break, to cut a long story short. And yes, I know the misadventures of my ipod have nothing to do with guitars). I had to keep it (the guitar) in my tent, which was also occupied by my 15 stone friend, Who threatened to roll over it in his sleep. I then left it on the beach, and later rescued it seconds before it was submerged by the tide. It is full of sand and various small stones. As for gigging, I would use my elecrtic guitar, an Epiphone Les Paul 100 which I buoght second hand (an unreal guitar, by the way.), so I wouldn't worry about it. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this guitar really suits me, and it is versatile, so it would suit a lot of different players.I have been playing for just under a year now, and I think I wouldn't be as good a player if I didn't start of with this guitar, I also own an Epiphone Les Paul 100, and a Roland Micro Cube amplifier. I would STRONGLY recomend the F310 to any beginner, but it would be a step backwards for most people as a second guitar, unless it is a replacement for a guitar of the same level, or a backup. And finally, if it was lost or stolen I would be sad, but I wouldn't buy another F310. I would break out the savings account and invest in a more advanced guitar, this guitar has served me well but it might be time to move on from entry level guitars soon. // 9

F310 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 27, 2005

Features: 20 jumbo frets, dunno about the rest. // 8

Sound: Quality sound! I was at a party at the weekend and a guy had a Vintage something or other that he paid J600 for, thought it was the best thing ever, but the sound didn't compare to my Yamaha. It's so bright and clear, I can't get over how good it sounds. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Strings are a little high, I sanded down the bridge a little to fix this, but then I got some fret buzz, so a very thin paper shim was put in under this and it was perfect again. Strap pin is useless. Tuners are ok, some too loose, some too tight! But it holds a tune for ages! // 8

Reliability & Durability: Falls down big time here. The finish chips too easy. Mine actually has dent in the side! But it has taken some serious falls and hasn't broken, so I'll give it that. I've noticed a minor crack behind the neck, but it's old enough now (4 years) and it has taken serious abuse (baggage handlers in a crappy vinyl case with no support / alcoholic mishandling etc). When you spit on it and give it a rub with a cloth it shines up nice though. I've found that the fingerboard has grooves in it from playing, don't think that'd happen on an ebony fingerboard, and also the frets have dents in and around the 2-3-4 areas. I've been practicing a lot! // 6

Overall Impression: This is the second F310 I've bought since the first one had a very bad accident and the neck was smashed off, but I went out and got another one straight away cos it plays and sounds so, so good! And it looks the s--t too. Despite the durability issue with the finish, this is by far the best beginner guitar ever. I've shown my friends how to play and when they buy their first guitar I recommend it straight away, and I've heard many a good word about it. // 10

F310 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 08, 2008

Purchased from: Fairdeal Music

Features: I bought the guitar new about 6 months ago but I'm not sure how long it had been in the shop prior to that. I played the display model, but took away a boxed one, having heard how consistently good these guitars are. // 10

Sound: The Yamaha F310 has a fantastic sound for a budget guitar and blows away the similarly priced competition in my opinion. It has a rich, clear sound with nice, powerful bass which stands up well to both chord strumming and fingerstyle. It may not be ideal if you wish to learn classical guitar, but for acoustic fingerstyle the tone is wonderful. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I unpacked the guitar, I noticed a pretty significant dent in the back edge, near the strap peg. I decided to live with it as it didn't affect the quality of the sound, and this flaw hasn't become any worse. The action of the guitar was quite high initially. I shaved a couple of millimeters from the base of the bridge insert having guestimated how much height I could afford to lose. Fortunately I guestimated perfectly and the strings are now very low with no fret buzz at all. This suggests to me that the frets and fingerboard are accurately set up, even though the height at which they initially set the strings might lead you to believe otherwise. You will also need to Switch the strings for a better quality set to truly appreciate the tone. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The finish will stand up to minor knocks without any problems and I've managed to keep the rest of the body clear of damage over the 6 months that I've owned it. Admittedly, it rarely leaves the house, and on the occasions that it has, it's been in a gig bag and travelled in the lap of luxury. I would imagine that harsher use would bring superficial damage, but structurally it seems sound. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing electric guitar for several years now and was inspired to take up the acoustic after discovering Andy McKee on YouTube. I bought the Yamaha after a few weeks of internet trawling to find an inexpensive guitar with a decent sound. Having now owned it for about half a year, I can safely say that I am very glad that I chose this guitar. I imagine you'd have to pay a lot more to find a guitar which could produce the quality of sound that you can get from the F310; from my experience, it's the best in class by far. I'd definitely buy another one if this one were to go missing. // 10

F310 Reviewed by: SaintCammy, on august 19, 2008

Features: I have had my acoustic guitar for 2 and a half years now and I do consider myself very good at playing. I have had no problems at all with it including strings breaking, scratches etc. It had 20 frets with a medium sized neck. The neck is perfect for any sized hands, sounds weird but it's true. I'm not sure what type of wood it is but it has a gorgeous finish and has a beautful colour. The whole body will fit perfectly with anyone. // 7

Sound: The sound is stunning, it sounds no different from the day I got it. Deeper sounds and if you want a bass sound it will give you a bass sound, if you want a higher toned sound it will deliver. I recieved the guitar for christmas off my parents and I think they couldnt of picked something better since it was my 1st guitar, especially for the sound, it can be quiet when you want it to be and as loud as it can become. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: As I said earlier I have had no problem with the strings and it takes a while for them to become loose but if your using a capo it has a bit more chance of detuning (If that's the word). The whole guitar is top quality and looks amazing just to look at and think "I own that guitar and I am proud." In the 2 and a bit years I have had no flaws in the guitar, no loose pegs, damaged strings, of course I have swapped my strings just in case. // 7

Reliability & Durability: As I've said before it has lasted me 2 and a half years and it isnt damaged what so ever, the only thing damaged would be the scratch board but it has to be scracthed, hense the name but that is all. I am going into college and I am hoping to use it all the time during my course because I trust it a lot. // 7

Overall Impression: In a nutshell it is one of the best acoustic guitars I've been on. It is just gorgeous to look at and the sound is beautiful to listen to. I don't own a lot of gear for it, but my main thing I couldn't live without is a capo, for those who don't know a capo shortens down the length of vibrations and can changed the tone. If your going to get a guitar I would highly recommened this Yamaha and a capo. // 9

F310 Reviewed by: BurnzyRock, on february 11, 2009

Price paid: C$ 200

Purchased from: musical strings and things

Features: This guitar was bought new in 2006, and is a marvel to play. It has 2o frets and a solid natural finish. It does not have a cutaway, which makes it hard to play the higher frets. The neck is made of Rosewood, though I don't know what the body is made of, not for sure. It is a fine-looking guitar, and is great to play. // 8

Sound: I play lots of types of music. With this guitar, it can be heard. It has that one perfect personality, with a sound quality that can't be beat. It is the perfect guitar to play on the porch, or around the campfire late at night to a group of friends. it's sound is deep. it's sound is mellow. it's sound is what every acoustic guitar should sound like. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar has a great look to it, and is perfectly set up. The bridge is aligned perfectly, and the shape is perfect and comfortable to play standing or sitting down. This guitar has no problems with it. I have dropped it once, and the finish has stayed on, and has had no chipping on it what'soever. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have once played this guitar Live. Once. Then again, it is about half a dozen if you count all the times I've played with or for my friends. I have depended on it many times, and it has not let me down. This guitars strap buttons are great, and there is one other spectacular thing about this guitar. It doesn't goet out of tune. Sure, it is a little harder to tune it, but it's tune stays the same for weeks, even months at a time without loosening. // 10

Overall Impression: I play lots of music, from Foo Fighters to Nickelback, from Led Zeppelin to Aerosmith, from Nirvana to, you get the point. This guitar suits every acoustic song ever written by any artist in history. It is my only current acoustic, and is my second acoustic, my first being a Black Peavey Briarwood. This guitar is obviously better, hands-down. For any musician Who plays any amount of acoustic songs, this guitar is perfect. // 10

F310 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 27, 2009

Features: This Yamaha F-310 I have was given to me to make good use of it. For free! Lucky, ain't I! Anyway, this guitar was made in Indonesia. Not quite sure about which year but it's a number of years old now. It is a simple, no-frills pure acoustic guitar that would be great to learn on and to use in the studio because the tone is awesome for a low-end guitar. The guitar is a standard dreadnought. It has a laminated spruce top. Mine has a sunburst finish. Back and sides are meranti, which is a common tree in Southeast Asia where I come from. Cheap wood. What do you expect? The neck is NATO and the fretboard is rosewood, with 20 frets. The finish is light but shiny and transparent. It is a very light guitar, I'm worried it might float to the ceiling. Tuners are non-locking diecast tuners, as expected. It came with an unpadded gig bag but I've since transferred it to a padded gigbag. // 7

Sound: I play a lot of stuff ranging from Folk to rock and even gothic. This guitar does it very well. It has a bright but well-balanced tone with prominent bass, and the tone is amazingly rich and projection is quite good for this class of guitar. It does it's job very well, I'd even use it in the studio, but I won't use it as my main guitar Live. I'll come to why soon enough. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar has a decent set-up though the action was quite high, but I appreciate that in an acoustic. Call me weird. The bridge was well aligned with the neck. The main flaw on this one I'd say is the cheap-looking fretboard, which is why I probably won't play this Live. But it has great tone. Finishing was very even. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I said that I wouldn't use it Live, but it's definitely reliable. It stays in tune very well and the tuners are very smooth. It feels great. There is only one strap button, and it's a flimsy plastic thing at the base of the guitar but it doesn't matter, I play acoustic sitting down usually. // 9

Overall Impression: It is a good match for what I play. I've been playing for around six years now. I also own an Ibanez SGT120 acoustic, a Samick LW-015 acoustic and an Ibanez GSA60 electric. The SGT120 is my main acoustic for now as it's the best of what I have, but this Yamaha is definitely good as a backup instrument, or for studio use. If it were stolen, I'd probably get something else, but I'm on the overall very satisfied with it. I just wish the fretboard didn't look so cheap. Otherwise, it's great. // 8

F310 Reviewed by: Stringbender101, on april 29, 2010

Features: I have 15 guitars but have had about 30. A lot of electrics. I recently sold my Taylor 314CE because it got a muddy and undefined on the bass side when I got back from Iraq. I have a 72' Epiphone (nice) and a 63' Gibson. The first time that I played one of these was the one in Iraq that I bought out of necesitty. Since I've been back, I have learned that Yamaha discontinued them. It's a shame since it was the best selling guitar in the UK from what I've read. They replaced it. First I tried the replacement, but it didn't have the same zap on the high strings. It's a bit heavier. I went to 4 guitar centers and played every Acoustic and could not find the sound that I had in Iraq. So, since they discontinued this one, I now have 3. I have heard a lot of reviews, like the one on here with the guys uncle, saying that this guitar is primo. // 10

Sound: The sound that this guitar has that no other has is the high frequency. I think this is because it is so light. The bass has enough definetion and the mids are about as defined as mids are. Not to warm though. It definetelly doesn't have the warmth of a Taylor of Gibson, the whole overtone quality thing. It's quieter than some but projects okay. They warm up a little bit over time, not near as much as a solid top. I really wish that the big three manufactors would research making a lighweight acoustic, as I think this is the reason for the high frequencies. There is not so much mass to stiffle the highest frequencies. On my Army hearing test, they told me I "have like, X-ray hearing" Anyway, this guitar is super clear but yeah, no good overtones. What else. I am thinking about revoicing one of them by shaving some bracing to see what that does. Oh yeah. Yamaha. Start making these again, will ya? // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is okay, like all guitars should probably be customized, finish is pretty good for being cheap. If the frets are sharp at the edges, sand them down! I'm giving it a 9, because it is great for the cheapest Yamaha acoustic. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Pretty durable for being so light. I don't trash my guitars though. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, a very thin bright sounding guitar. Clean. Probably too thin. The longest I playing one was in Iraq for 15 months, so hopefully these other ones will open up a bit or the revoicing will help. I might go to the touble of putting the expression system in one. I really liked that system on my Taylor. That should open some eyes at Taylor. Having them put a $500 pickup system in a $100 guitar. If you can get your hands on one of these, I would. They are selling for sometimes $100 more now than when they discontinued them. Might be a good thing to have in 10 years. You would think that would open some eyes at Yamaha. // 10

F310 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 29, 2010

Features: I've had the guitar since early 2006, not sure where it was made probably Indonesia and probably in 2005. 20 frets, neck joins the body at the 15th fret, 12 frets accessible. It's a fairly standard dreadnought shaped body, all laminate, spruce top, meranti back and sides. The fingerboard and bridge are solid rosewood, the neck is nato. It has generic no brand chromed tuners. The tuners on this one have closed backs but some F310s have open back tuners. They aren't bad, but some are tighter or looser than others, once you've got it in tune it stays in tune, but the feel of the tuners isn't consistent. The saddle and nut are cheap white plastic, but do the job. In terms of features you couldn't expect more for the price and it is a purely Acoustic guitar. // 5

Sound: The sound is good for a laminate top, and sounds pretty good finger picked. If you're strumming pretty hard and fast the sound can get a bit muddled and noisy, but generally the tone is good for what it is. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The action out of the box was awful, far too high, but easily rectified by sanding down the saddle and adjusting the truss rod. The frets were finished well, although the fingerboard itself has a few flaws. The scratchplate wasn't stuck down properly, but again easily fixed. The finish is very thick and glossy. It's as tough as old boots! I've managed to chip it and bit round the binding banging it off the door frame and such, but generally it looks the same as it did four years ago. The binding is pretty minimal, and the rosette is painted on, a bit cheap looking, but it is cheap! // 6

Reliability & Durability: You probably wouldn't want to play live with this guitar, the pick up to amplify it would probably be worth more than the guitar. It's a good guitar for a learner, or a second guitar, but probably not for a performer. The guitar is entirely dependable and durable, the strap button is solid, the tuners show no wear. The saddle is beginning to show some wear and will need replaced soon. // 8

Overall Impression: I've enjoyed the guitar but hanker after something a bit more sophisticated now. It's a great guitar for a beginner, just to muck about and have some fun with. If you doubt your commitment and don't want to spend a lot of money it's well worth considering. I picked it up on exactly that basis, I didn't have a lot of spare cash, and I just wanted to play in the house. The look of it is a bit cheap and no frills, and it's light as a feather, you can tell there's not a lot of solid wood in it. On the whole, very good for the money, but you get what you pay for. // 7

F310 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 23, 2010

Features: I'm not to sure when it was made. But it has 20 medium frets. I believe a laminated top. Indonesian mahogany back and sides, Sonokeling bridge, nato neck and spruce top, Japanese rosewood fingerboard, dreadnought shape. // 8

Sound: This guitar suits my playing style very well. Whether I'm playing just some open chord progressions or some good old reggae. I think it sounds best when you play reggae on it. It has a really beautiful tone to it for only being 20 bucks and very beat up. Put some nice strings on it and it will sound brand new. Sometimes my low E goes dead or just a little dull. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It has a wood style finish which on mine you can see someone put stickers on it a while ago and you can see the outline of them. And the black binding is worn down. The previous owner sanded down the saddle so the action sits low. The low E is a bit lower then the rest. But everything plays very well. And the wood around the bridge is raised slightly. I don't know if that's a design feature or not. I really think that there is too much string tension and its pulling the bridge up which is causing the wood near the back of the bridge to raise. I have dropped her once and a small chunk of wood came off the headstock. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will handle live gigs, I've done it. The only thing that may go over time is the tuners, which are a easy fix. there's only one plastic strap button on the back which I do not trust, that's how I dropped it before. The black binding its wearing off and has small chips in it all over. But I blame that on the last owner. // 7

Overall Impression: I love playing every kinda music style. From metal to reggae to rock and ever finger picking. This thing handles it all well. I've been playing for two years now and I own a peavy transtube Ragemaster 158 amp and a Schecter Damien 6 FR. I didn't even think when I saw this guitar on the floor at GC for 20 bucks I just bought it. I love the beautiful sounds I get out of it. But I don't like the finish. If this were lost I would ball my eyes out. If it were stolen I would slaughter everyone who I think might have my guitar. Then I would file a police report. // 8

F310 Reviewed by: jhighton, on may 25, 2011

Features: F310 made in 2001 in china. It has 20 frets with a thin neck, this guitar is a dreadnought, it has a rosewood neck and the body is made from some strange wood I've never heard of. It also has a laminated top. This guitar is awesome for the price it looks and sounds great. I have wrote loads of songs using this guitar. // 10

Sound: The F310 has a warm and crisp sound its a good all round accoustic. It has a good low end sound so you can hear and feel the bass of the e string but it also has a crisp high end sound even after the 12 fret. I have played a range of tanglwoods and in my eyes the F310 is a much more dynamic guitar which suites all styles of playing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It's well made, with good hard ware it stays in tune and is really nice to play, it has a thinner neck than most accustics wich is good if you have smaller hands. I have owned my F310 for 10 years and I have hammered it and it still looks and sounds like new. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The F310 is a very reliable guitar, it has good quality machine heads.the scratch plate is hard wearing to. The laminated wood is of good quality. I have droped mine dozens of times and its hardly scratched. I have had no problems with my strap buttons they have lasted 10 years and I play it every day. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all types of music and the F310 has suited all of them. I have been playing guitar for 20 years. If by some unfortunate misshap my guitar broke I would deffinetly buy another one. This guitar in my eyes is 10/10 epceially when you can buy one for 100 and it sounds and feels like a 300 guitar. // 10

F310 Reviewed by: ninja_unicorn44, on august 15, 2011

Price paid: C$ 169.99

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Features: I bought this as my first guitar on July 6th, 2011, but as a Yamaha F310 TBS (Tobacco Sunburst), instead of the original F310; the Tobacco Sunburst F310 is newer than the F310. It was probably manufactured in the last 2-3 years in Indonesia by the Yamaha CORPORATION. It's a Dreadnoght Acoustic and somewhat of a beauty becuase of the sunburst colour, laminated top and gloss finish. Also when I bought it, the salesguy gave a Levi Gigbag with it. I'd also recomend buying a capo (I use a Jim Dunlop one). Fretboard: 20 frets (14 from nut to where the body is met) Width: (Nut/Body) 43 mm, Medium Jumbo Rosewood Steel Strings scale: 634 mm Body: Top is Spruce Back, side and rib is Meranti Nech is Nato Bridge is Rosewood Body Depth: 96-116 mm // 10

Sound: Since this is my first guitar, I don't know how the sound is compared to better/worse guitars, but I am pretty satisfied with it aas a beginner guitarist. I usually just like to play rock and pop, but have started learning some blues; obviously I'll realize my style and preferance more in the future when I have been playing for more than just a little over a month. One thing I notice about the sound though is that it does have some fretbuzz to it, but hey its a great guitar for beginners. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: I haven't encountered any problems with tuning this guitar, and doesn't really need to be tuned very often. The quality of the guitar itself is pretty good considering it is a brandnew Yamaha instrument. The design and finish is awesome, and as I said, the glossed top makes it really visually appealing. // 4

Reliability & Durability: So far, I have only played this guitar in my house over the summer and at my cottage, and it still looks brand new. Though I do suspect that it won't be able to take any extensive damage (I'm not going to test it to see if it can), and is just for playing at home or out with your friends. // 3

Overall Impression: Well I have had it for over a month now and many people think it looks awesome. My tutor says its not a bad guitar and perfect for beginners so I am completely satisfied with it. I do visit my local music shop though and will admit many other guitars have a better sound (because this one had some fretbuzz), but then again you must put in consideration for the price (this is a great price). The Yamaha F310 TBS is loud, and fun to play on; so if your a first time guitarist I believe this wil not be a bad pick! // 3

F310 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 11, 2011

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: 20 frets, 14-15 playable. Manufactured in Indonesia. Top is made of Meranti wood. Rosewood fingerboard. And a Nato neck. Pearl dot inlays. Got it in a natural finish as I was the only colour available. Bought it as my first guitar on recommendation of a staff working there. Glad I took her advice. // 6

Sound: This guitar has a great sound! Comparable to those worth 2 times more maybe. It came with Yamaha strings but replace them with Ernie Ball strings and it becomes much much better. Trust me. Sound is probably why I bought this guitar in the first place. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar was set up decently. I believe Yamaha guitars have good quality control so no flaws found on this guitar. Fingerboard was nicely set up. Solid no flaws guitar! // 9

Reliability & Durability: My guitar has taken many bangs (against doors, walls, table edges) but still in good condition. Two thing worth noting though, the neck dents easily and the corners of the body chips easily too. Not built like a tank but still "solid". My advice would be buy a padded bag for it! // 8

Overall Impression: I think I have made a wonderful purchase. Had this guitar for a year already and plan on keeping it for another 4 years maybe longer! Best budget value for money guitar out there IMO. Go for it... It is user friendly! // 8

F310 Reviewed by: rockforlife19, on january 10, 2012

Purchased from: thompson music store

Features: Year of production - 2008. Place of production - Indonesia. Number of frets - 20 (can reach upto the 15 without difficulty). It has a rosewood fretboard. Top is made out of spruce. Sides are made out of meranti. So is the back. The neck is made out of nato. The body comes in a dreadnought shape. Mine is a tobacco sunburst. Also comes in natural and cherry sunburst colours. The tuners are standard Yamaha. I got mine along with a gig bag. // 8

Sound: The sound is completely crisp. Its perfect for country. It does other genres particularly well too. It has a deep, sort of a bassier sound. That makes it suitable for rock. All in all, a great entry-intermediate level guitar. The stock strings are fine (had them changed in a few months) but put in better strings and you can hear wonders. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was perfectly set up. It stayed in tune quite well. I have had no major problems with this guitar. The only thing that troubled me was the loose strap button (though I did not observe this in my friends F310's). So yeah that was the only faulty thing. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is quite solid. I have had it for more than a year and half now. I have dropped it once or twice and one was really severe so got a few scratches. But the sound did not change. It will certainly withstand live play, but I would suggest you change the strap button, and always have a backup in case any string breaks. The sunburst is hand painted (or so I heard) but the finish is perfect. The pick guard is also quite sturdy. Remember to clean it once in a while and it will shine. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, a great guitar. I will recommend this to anyone who wants to start learning the instrument. As I said, great beginner - intermediate level guitar. If it were stolen, I might not buy it again, that's cause I prefer electrics now, but I guarantee this guitar, if well handled, will not let you down. // 8

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ DDS-20M Digital Delay Sampler 7.4 Guitar Effects 08/21/2014