FG-75 Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 11/03/2013 category: Acoustic Guitars
Yamaha: FG-75
This is a great guitar. The sound is not over powering so you can sing along with it without the need of a mic. It stays in tune well and is very durable.
 8.6
 8.2
review (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
FG-75 Reviewed by: lvedepo, on november 03, 2013

Purchased from: Used Guitar Store

Features: - Year(s) Sold: 1968-1974 - Original MSRP(US$): $109.50 - Top: Spruce - Back / Sides: Agathis - Neck: Nato - Fingerboard: Indian Rosewood - Bridge: N/A - Notes: Folk Guitar Classic Type - Upper Bout - 11-1/8" - Waist - 9-5/8" - Lower Bout - 14-5/8" - Depth at tail - 4" - Depth at neck - 3-3/4" - Body Length - 19-1/8" - Total Length - 39-1/8" - 14 frets to the body Those are the specifications of the guitar, other than the tuning machines which I had to replace. The original tuning machines were a 3-on-1 which I had a hard time finding to replace with. Instead I went with individual tuning machines which worked out nicely. The guitar stays in tune a lot better now and makes it much more desirable to play. // 8

Sound: The sound is very nice. Being that it is a smaller bodied guitar, the sound is rather bright and you don't get the overpowering sound off of the bass stings. That being said, it does lack the bass when playing in drop D and trying to get a drone off of the low D. However, it is a great guitar to learn on, which is what I did. I play mostly Irish and Scottish folk music and it seems to be a great guitar for that. It isn't too loud so it is also great for accompanying other players as well. When the strings get old, it does tend to sound pretty boxy, but with a new set, the sound brightens up nicely. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on the guitar it extremely low, which makes it easier for me to play the bar chords. Everything seems to be lined up properly and plays nicely on any fret. The only thing I had to do was replace the tuning machines, which were about 40 years old when I did so. That did make a big difference and now it stays in tune after not being played for days and even weeks on end. The finish looks pretty nice, there are a few dings, and some wear and tear on the guitar, but what do you expect from a 40 year old starter guitar? I am very pleased with this guitar and won't be getting rid of it anytime soon, if at all. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is my campfire guitar. I take it with me everywhere I go and it plays great in any venue that I perform at. I do play in bars with other people and it stands it's own just fine. It is very reliable and it being smaller, makes it easy to transport. I have had many others play the guitar and they all say it is a nice play/sounding guitar. Looks like I picked a good one for my first guitar 11 years ago. Being that it is 40 years old, I probably will start taking it easy on it and find a replacement that I can enjoy just as much. I would hate to damage a fine vintage instrument. // 9

Overall Impression: Playing Irish/Scottish folk music, this is a great guitar. The sound is not over powering so you can sing along with it without the need of a mic. It stays in tune well and is very durable. The only thing missing is the deep sounds from the bass strings. That being said, it makes the drop d tuning not as desirable for the low D drone. Other than that, it's a great instrument and I am very pleased with being able to play this instrument at my will. I have 4 other guitars, yet I still find myself going back to this guitar very often for that classic folk sound. // 8

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ DDS-20M Digital Delay Sampler 7.4 Guitar Effects 08/21/2014