FG140 Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 02/10/2006 category: Acoustic Guitars
Yamaha: FG140
It's 20 frets on a rosewood fretboard. Build woods indlude mahogany back and sides with a maple top and what appears to be cedar neck. Natural high gloss finish brings out the grain in these woods.
 6.3
 4.6
 7.9
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
FG140 Reviewed by: SuperAnalytical, on february 10, 2006

Features: Well, another one of my hard to find facts on acoustic guitars, the Yamaha FG140 serves me as an acoustic bass. It's 20 frets on a rosewood fretboard. I believe the frets have been replaced due to a smaller size they take up than the slot they fit into. The frets are worn down to a wonderful XS (extra small) state. Build woods indlude mahogany back and sides with a maple top and what appears to be Cedar neck. Natural high gloss finish brings out the grain in these woods. The bridge has been modified, rather, added on to, with the personal touch of a second bridge just infront of the original. The tuners are nice and classic spindle-style with PVC turners. // 7

Sound: It sounds like it has been very abused and battered, but perhaps it is only because of the monster it is. This guitar basically collects dust because I can't seem to tune it correctly, ever. It's tuned standard but an octave lower than a guitar. I strung it with various strings, mostly I relied on old E, A, and D strings to do this. Basically, this isn't the best acoustic bass. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: Well, I wouldn't know about the action from factory due to the time it spent sitting in a closet for oh-so-many years before I laid eyes upon it. The action now is a little high, but as expected due to the second bridge installment. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This is totally getting smashed. // 1

Overall Impression: Rock is not for acoustics. Exceptions being rock songs only for the acoustic guitar. I would totally not want this stolen or lost because I have the utter need to smash this thing. Takes up so much space! I hate everything about it, besides maybe the look of it, I guess. I suggest you buy this acoustic new, or very rarely used on a second-hand basis. Not worth the space. // 3

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ FG730S 9 Acoustic Guitars 07/11/2014