FG160 Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 08/25/2005 category: Acoustic Guitars
Yamaha: FG160
The guitar doesn't have much in the way of the flashy stuff you get with Ovations or the like, but it still sounds perfect.
 9.3
 9.8
 8.7
reviews (2) 5 comments vote for this gear:
FG160 Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 11, 2003

Purchased from: Gene Lee's Guitar Studio

Features: I received a Yamaha FG160 in 1978. This acoustic guitar has been through hell and back and I'll say this about my old Yamaha. It is one of the best guitars that I have ever played. It has seen many recording days as well as many clubs in California. I believe the FG160 was a Martin copy. And please don't get me wrong, I have also played some Yamaha's that sounded like junk. I guess Im a Yamaha fan. P.S. I also have an Alvarez 12 banger and she is my second love. // 10

Sound: Perfect for the blues and all other acoustic and some electric work. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The Yamaha FG160 is a great guitar. Action is fine, thin neck and all. The only drawback to this guitar is the tuning key covers. They sometimes get loose. Otherwise thats it. I rate this guitar a 5. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Sure a guitar will wear. My Yamaha has rocked and rolled and I mean every word of that. Allways dependable, durable and solid. Very reliable. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 31 years. I have been through many guitars. I am a Stratocaster man. I have owned 6 new strats. 2 marshall stacks. Many assorted pedals. 5 new acoustic guitars. The only original guitar that has stuck it out with me is my Yamaha FG160. Don't get me wrong, I still own a killer Strat, set up with humbuckers. It's like this! I say play what you got and learn to master it. Then if you have the opportunity then move on to other guitars. Like myself, You will find that one special guitar and when you do, You will know it. // 10

FG160 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 25, 2005

Features: This is a '77/78 FG160 that's seen it's fair share of travelling and playing. My dad bought it when he was a penniless student (ah, the days when student's could afford guitars). He's since been lugging it around with him all over the place and, subsequently, it has the odd knock on the body. Dad, when he realised I was serious enough about playing to want to buy my own guitar, gave the FG to me. It now rarely goes for more than a day without me murdering the odd Bob Dylan or Pink Floyd song. The neck's a bit rough from all those years that dad's been using it, but it's the perfect guitar for me to learn on. It has absolutely beautiful tones and the harmonics really ring out. You can play a harmonic, put the guitar down, come back about two minutes later and it'll still be sending out those amazing sounds! It's true that they don't make 'em like they used to. // 10

Sound: I'm generaly a player who likes to experiment. The guitar doesn't have much in the way of the flashy stuff you get with ovations or the like. But it still sounds perfect. Dad described it as a low-end of the range Yamaha. If this is the low-end, what must the top-end be like? // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The only flaws in the body have been inflicted due to the odd slip or knock. There's a few small scratches at the base of the body and one on the head, but they merely add character. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I love this guitar and, if I ever join a band, I'll invest in a clip-on mic to avoid needless D. I. Y. It sounds great as an acoustic and I'd hate to risk losing that fresh, yet aged sound. // 10

Overall Impression: As I've said, I like to experiment. The FG doesn't have much in the way of frills, but that's part of it's charm. You find that you have to work at it to get the sounds you want. If I wanted to play something really clever, I'd probably have to get an electric with a trem and mother-of-toilet-seat pick-guard and all the usual frilly bits. But I love this guitar and if anyone ever comes across one that they can get cheaply, and that they'd class as matching what I've said here I'd advise them to buy it ASAP. // 10

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ FG730S 9 Acoustic Guitars 07/11/2014