FG700S Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 11/28/2011 category: Acoustic Guitars
Yamaha: FG700S
The heritage of Yamaha guitars begins with the FG line of acoustic guitars. Great entry level acoustic guitar with deluxe features including die-cast tuners, solid sitka spruce top, and a rosewood fingerboard.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 8.7
reviews (7) pictures (1) 26 comments vote for this gear:
FG700S Reviewed by: Kurt1964, on december 02, 2008

Purchased from: Guitar Center, Tonawanda, New York

Features: Well the Yamaha FG700S that I have was made in the year of our lord two thousand seven. And it was made in the far off mysterous land of the east, yes, you guessed it, China! It has a twenty fret rosewood fingerboard with very small fret makers, from even a short distance, you can just barely see them.It has a solid spruce top with some great lines in the wood.The finish is natural, with a thick coat of acrylic.The sides AND back are made of some of the most beautiful mahogany I've ever seen.The tuners are non-locking chrome plated generic ones.But it holds it's tune better than any other guitar I own.When I got the guitar, it did'nt come with any extras, but the sales-guy threw in a free strap and a bunch of picks.I thought that was cool.Yeah I know, hard to believe from Guitar Center? Huh? // 10

Sound: The style of music I play is pretty much what I feel like playing in a given moment. Lately, though, I've been on this kick where I take "hard rock" songs and play them "unplugged".And for doing this, the guitar is perfect. The FG700S comes with D'Addario strings.I went ahead and changed the strings to Elixer 80/20's to give it a "brighter" sound, but in my opinion, it did'nt seem to resinate well, so I changed them back.In other words... if you get this guitsr, stick with the D'Addarios.I've had the guitar for a little over a year now, and still NO "buzz"! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Well the Chinese Folk in the Yamaha factory did a pretty good job building and assembling this guitar.I only found one flaw... a little glue overlap where the neck meets the body. Though I was somewhat disapointed that the guitar did'nt come with a fortune cookie. Oh well, what are ya gonna do? // 9

Reliability & Durability: So far the guitar is putting up well with all of my abuse.Unless I decide to go "postal" on it I can foresee it lasting for a long time to come.Dependability? This giutar is great, once you've tuned, it stays tuned! Reliability? Well put it this way... I have no reason to take another with me when I go out to play. // 10

Overall Impression: Whatever style of acoustic music you play, this guitar would probably be a good match for you, it is for me anyway.I also have the Washburn D10SCEB, which I like, but I tend to gravitate to my Yamaha for every day play. If it ever disapeared, I would probably replace it with the same or, get the 730 model, just for styles sake. All in all, the sound, the reliability and the durability, for the money, it can't be beat! // 9

FG700S Reviewed by: Apples on Cacti, on october 14, 2010

Features: Made in China. (Whoa, really?) 20 full frets, one more "half" fret if you count that last bit of wood. Very nice solid top, really SOLID. More on that later. Body woods are great looking mahogany, I think, but the front is tad bit pale. Just my opinion, and a darker shade is also available. The neck is also a work of art. Rosewood, looks very natural. Tuners are non-locking, but they hold tune for days, even weeks. I play for at least three to four hours a day, and honestly, I only need to tune every week. Didn't get any accessories or anything, but I really don't care. This is a heck of a guitar. Cheap and incredible. // 9

Sound: Very nice sound. Very, very nice. I've played a few guitars ranging from $600 to $2000, and I might sound like I'm exaggerating, but I really think this guitar stands up with them. I play many styles, and it is a one size fits all guitar. Blues, rock, even classical, it all works. You want a nice, round sound? This. Is. It. I got this as a starter guitar, but after ages of playing, I still haven't had a thought to upgrade. It's that good. (And, uh, just in case you were wondering, I'm not deaf. This thing has good tone.) // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is pretty good. I got this as a starter guitar, but it still works incredibly. Hammer-ons are starting to make weird twangy noises, but I think that's just an issue with my strings. The body of the guitar was great when I got it, and it's still lookin' good. Very nice clear finish, shines even through mud. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Now, let's get something straight. I'm a klutz. I fall UP stairs. That said, this guitar has gone through hell and lived to tell the tale. I've bashed it pretty hard into walls (yes, wallS), dropped it on concrete, and yet it survives, with no more than maybe five small white scratches (bout a centimeter long each, a nanometer deep) and once tiny dent. The strap button still alive as well. Point is, this is one tough cookie. It'll probably last through everything short of the apocalypse. // 9

Overall Impression: I love this guitar. I love it like a family member. I love it even more than my own mother. (Just kidding. I love ya, Mom.) There's nothing more to it. It's beautiful. It makes a great starting guitar, and if you want a starter guitar that you won't have to upgrade anytime soon, then grab this. This is a happy man's guitar. Great sound, durable body, and I forgot to mention, BEAUTIFUL tortoise-shell pickguard. (The pickguard matches the design on my pick, so that's kinda part of why it's great.) Compared to an $800 guitar, this is one tough competitor. Really tough. If it was lost, I would cry a bit, then make use of the warranty. If it were stolen, someone would die. And then I would make use of the warranty, too, I guess. That is the uberness of this guitar. Yes, uberness is a word. (Not really, please don't use that word in any language arts class.) // 10

FG700S Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 31, 2005

Features: This guitar is solid top, and getting a solid top at $200 is a great deal. 20 frets, rosewood. It had a nato back and rosewood. Natural finish with bear-claw grain. It's a big full sized dreadnought and resonates fantastically. I had this guitar and a Fender DG-8 at the store, and me and the salesmen were jamming and you couldn't even hear the Fender. // 10

Sound: I play mostly rock with the guitar. I played "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd when I got home and it sounded awesome. The sound you get from the guitar is amazing and the guitar is so affordable. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action for me was set perfect for the guitar. Easy to bend, but not to easy like on nylon strings. The bridge was perfect as well as the beautiful finish. It's really a good looking guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definately withstand live playing. It's loud and perfect for gigs. It's durable, the day after I got it I actually accidently hit my door jam with it. I thought there was going to be a dent, but there was no sign of one. I plan on having this guitar or a long time, it should definately last. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is perfect for me and rock style playing. It's good for any style for that matter. I have been playing for 2 years and this is my third guitar. I have a Squire srat electric and a Yamaha nylon string classical guitar. Which was my first, but I didn't know the difference then. But this guitar is way better than all of the others. If it got stolen, I would buy it again if I had the money, but there is a warranty I think. But it shouldn't matter cause I'm not letting it out of my sight. The thing I love most is the playability and the sound. You get such a great deal for the sound. You can't compare this to any guitar in the 200-300 dollar price range. This guitar is really cool. I do wish I could've gotten a sunburst finish, but the guitar still looks great. // 10

FG700S Reviewed by: fsb_ben, on january 26, 2006

Purchased from: Tom Lee

Features: Solid sitka spruce top w/ nato back and side and rosewood fretboard. Made brand new for 2005! The finish is a durable glossy finish that can withstand some pretty hard hits! I banged this guitar many times and no dents! This guitar stays in tune very well! // 10

Sound: I was not interested in low/mid level Yamaha's like 3 years ago because their sound was terrble! But this new FG series totally blew me away. This guitar resonates so well, its amazing! I play acoustic songs along the lines of slow, relaxing kind of songs. This guitar is highly recommended for beginners because you can't beat the sound for the price you pay. My friends have also played this guitar (they are more advance than I) and they were thoroughly impressed with the sound that came out of this guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup from the factory is perfect! The action is low and the guitar is very easy to play. The only flaws I found were that the strings and fretboard were quite dirty when I got the guitar. I cleaned it with a cloth and lemon oil and a lot of dirt came off. That would be my only complaint as the action and finish of the guitar is superb. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could withstand live playing if you turned it into an acoustic electric (only for volume purposes). The hardware seems like it will last a while and already, I can tell that the sound is improving (its been about 8 months since I've started), which means the solid top is expanding. I can depend on this guitar to stay in tune, produce warm and full tones and produce adequate resonance so everyone can hear. I've dropped this guitar a couple of times and carelessly walked around with it, hitting objects in the way. No dings have resulted from the wear and I'm surprised. Its a good quality finish to withstand such beats. // 10

Overall Impression: I play stuff that is catered to the purpose of this guitar: relaxation. However, when I do decide to play something a little more upbeat, this guitar can handle it. I've been playing for 8 months now and I also own an Ibanez SA160qm. If this guitar was stolen or lost, I think I'd buy from the Yamaha FG series again but either the 730 or 750 upgraded model. I love this guitar because it's more than what I expected for the price. The guitarshop guy gave me great advice and told me to go with this guitar. I compared it with all the guitars in the store that were in the $200-$400 price range and this one sounded the best and was the easiest to play. I am very happy with this purchase and absolutely amazed that Yamaha could produce such a great product for such a low price. // 10

FG700S Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 08, 2010

Purchased from: Music Maker SC

Features: This guitar certain guitar was made in China. It has 21 frets on a rosewood fingerboard. It has a solid sitka top with silver tuning knobs. Its hollow body is oretty basic but I'm pretty sure its made out of maple wood (or thats what the guys at the shop told me.) the body style is classically curved. I love the tortoise pick gaurd! it came with a pretty sweet velvet case! I'm pretty satisfied with it. // 8

Sound: This guitar really helps my sound. I used to love electric but this guitar has turned me to the direction of picking bluegrass and anything with a good Acoustic ring. It has a rich and ringing sound to it; With a certain tune, it could bring a manly tear to your eyes! The variety really just is anything involving Acoustic as far as that goes. All I can say is even after a year with this guitar, I still haven't grown tired of the sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar has a nice classic clear wood finish to it. I've always had trouble finding an Acoustic without that flaring B-string. It seemed like every guitar I picked up, that certain string would overpower the sound of the rest, until I saw this guitar; and the set-up couldn't be any better for this problem. Everything seems well-put together. The only problem I get while playing is if I'm not sitting in a certain position, the saddle will cut the circuloation off in my strummin' arm. Other than that, Great Guitar! // 8

Reliability & Durability: this guiatr is definately durable. Plenty of room on stock for the strap, well-set stock, and a great neck. I'm not gunna try it, but I could probably bang this thing against a brick wall and it would only have chipped finish. It's prety solid. (no pun intended) If I went on an unplugged gig, this would be my number one instrument. // 10

Overall Impression: Right now, my style is pretty much a palm mute, strum, and pick style. This guitar is great for that because of the great neck posture availibility. I also have another Acoustic but this guitar doubles over it by a Goergia mile. If this guitar was stolen from me, I would buy it again in a heartbeat (except for the fact that it has a life-warrenty.) I Thought about getting a fancier and more expensive guitar with a better name but in the end, I wouldn't ask for a better product because I know its not possible. // 10

FG700S Reviewed by: Snickers Bowman, on august 03, 2010

Purchased from: Guitar Center Highland Park, IL

Features: Made in China in 2007. 20 fret rosewood fingerboard that feels very natural when playing. Normal fret markers without one on the third fret. Finish is naturally beautiful. Basic Acoustic guitar but with some style. It didn't come with anything, no strap, no bag, no picks, but you can always pick some of them up yourself. // 9

Sound: I tend to take metal songs and turn them acoustic, like bullet for my valentine did with a couple of their songs and this guitar does a really good job of playing that sort of style so it fits perfectly. No buzz, and D'Addarios work great on it. I don't use any amps on it mainly because it doesn't plug in to anything. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up as well as I could ask for. Whn I slide my hand down the neck while playing it slides smoothly and there is little friction. No flaws that I noticed when I bought it. The tuners were properly tightened, the fret markers properly alligned, the pick guard was placed properly. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It should withstand live playing even though I've never tested it live. I play it in my practice space and it gets pretty rough sometimes but it never bothers the guitar. I would use it to play live though. The sound is great, comes out clearly and this guitar would be perfect for live playing as well as practice or in the studio. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar should match almost sny style of Acoustic music you are playing. I play Metallica and August Burns Red with it just fine as well as some Willie Nelson so just about anything would be great to play on this fine instrument. My overall impression of the guitar is that it is fantastic and has many great qualities as well as many different genres in which to play in. // 9

FG700S Reviewed by: rotoball95, on november 28, 2011

Features: I bought this guitar brand new. It was made in China I believe. It has 20 frets, on a nice thin Nato neck, with a 25 and 9/16 inch scale length. The top is Solid Sitka Spruce (thank god), with Nato back and sides. It's a natural finish, which I like, and the tuners aren't special, but they stay in tune well, so they work. // 10

Sound: I play everything from Jazz to Metal, and it fits my style perfectly. I love a bright sound on acoustic guitars, and this one has it nailed. It has nice bright trebles, but the bass is there, so it sounds full. The only thing I may change is the saddle and the bridge pins, to brighten the guitar and add sustain. I couldn't ask for more when it comes to the sound of this guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up very nicely. I can't find any flaws in it at all. The factory strings were okay, but I changed them to my choice, Elixir. This is a perfect example of how much Yamaha actually cares about their quality. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've not had the chance to play live yet, but I'm certain this guitar would withstand live playing. The hardware seems it will last too. The strap button seems okay, but I don't use straps anyway, so that doesn't matter to me. It looks dependable, but I'd still take a backup just in case. You can never be too safe after all. The finish seems it will last with time too, which is nice. // 10

Overall Impression: I know this is just another review full of 10s, but this guitar really does deserve it. It fits my styles perfectly. I've been playing for 2 years. I also own a Yamaha F335 (which I don't really like), and a Takamine Jasmine S35 (worse than the F335, but it was my first guitar.) If it were lost or stolen, I would definitely get another one. I love the guitar to death, so I'm not letting it get lost or stolen. I can't find anything I hate about the guitar either. My favorite feature is the sound. It's exactly what I'm asking for. I compared this to a lot of other guitars at guitar center, and chose this one over guitars 3 times the price. The only thing I wish it had was a bone saddle and nut. // 10

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ THR10X 9.3 Guitar Amplifiers 09/08/2014