FG720S Review

9.4
 9.3
reviews (3) pictures (1) 5 comments vote for this gear:
FG720S Reviewed by: CoventryEngland, on august 28, 2009

Features: This Guitar was made in 2007 (still being produced) in various parts of the world. The guitar has 20 frets with a rosewood fingerboard. It also is a Solid-Top made of sitka spruce. The Back is made of Nato as well as the sides. The Neck Binding is white/cream/off white. My Acoustic is what the manufacturer calls "Dusk Sun Red" which is black on the edges and fades into a nice red, which is semi transparent. The other finishing options are Natural, Black, Brown Sunburst, Dusk Sun Red, Oriental Blue Burst. The body features a dreadnought body style. The Bridge is made of rosewood as well. The pickguard is a Tortoise pickguard. This guitar features no electronics. Also Features Die-cast Tuners. This guitar has no accessories but music stores may include a case. // 9

Sound: The guitar fits my music style quite well (rock, blues, and jazz). The guitar sounds rich and full as it is a solid-top guitar and resonates well. Also fits strumming, finger picking, Acoustic soloing style players. This guitar can be loud or it can be quiet, depending on how light or heavy you play. I am a light player with a medium-heavy pick. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set-up quite nicely. I ordered mine through my local music store and it arrived freshly off the line. All was matched up exactly. I thought it was funny that there was still saw dust inside when I got my Acoustic. Smelled strongly of fresh cut wood. There wasn't any rusted or oxidized hardware, because it was fresh off the line. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is extremely reliable. The hardware seems it will last. The one strap button seems to be solid. It has never shifted or moved. I can depend on it. The finish is good enough to last and doesn't seem thin or easy to wear off with lots of playing. I haven't played Live yet so I am unsure if it is dependable on a gig without backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play many styles of music including Rock, blues, Alternative, Punk, metal, bit of jazz, and bit of funk. I have been playing for about 6 years. There isn't anything I wish I bought before buying this guitar. If My FG720S was stolen or lost I would get another to replace it. I loved the colour scheme as well as the deep rich tone it produces. The only thing I truly hated is the 2nd day I had it, my pick fell inside and I shook the guitar to get it out and I hit the headstock of of something and it dented. Little mark now. I chose it after it came in because of its rich tone (No obligation to buy if it didn't like it). I STRONGLY recommend getting a guitar humidifier to protect your guitar. I bought one. // 9

FG720S Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 10, 2010

Features: China made Yamaha FG720S. Yamaha's special FG size/shape, similar to dreadnought though not exactly like a dreadnought. This has a narrower waist compared to standard dreadnoughts which is a design consideration for sound, I believe, as body shapes affect the sound alot. Solid Spruce top, laminate nato back/sides, bound rosewood fretboard, nato neck, rosewood bridge, plastic nut and saddles. Gloss finish. No electronics. Unbranded chrome tuners that do the job well. Gave it a 10 for features because its how I like my acoustics - pure, without electronics or cutaway to reduce the wood and tone. // 10

Sound: Sounds muffled and soft when I first bought it. However, after changing the default plastic saddle to a Tusq saddle, the difference is like night and day. With the Tusq saddle, the sound is loud, full and balanced. Strong bass without being overpowering, muddy or over boomy. Bright treble, more brightness than bass overall. Good resonance. Good for flat picking, strumming and fingerstyle. Only minus point in terms of sound is that the treble strings sound too bright without sweetness, so its not ideal for soloing. But bass strings sound huge and warm. A great guitar for carrying the rhythm definitely, which is what Acoustic guitars are for mainly anyway. The sound quality surpasses the price of this guitar, thus making this a great value for money buy. The price marks this as a beginner guitar but the quality of this guitar is definitely above beginner level. Its more of an intermediate level guitar with a price point suitable for beginners who want to get something better which they can stick to for a long time. Advanced players will appreciate this guitar too, as its cheap and good. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was purchased brand new from the shop with medium action. I changed the default plastic saddle to a Tusq saddle, still with medium action, relatively comfortable to play, with loudness that comes from a decent string height and saddle break angle. So its a good balance. Top is properly bookmatched. This guitar is practically flawless, I picked this out from a bunch and this has the best construction among them. Construction is neat and good. No excess glue marks when you look inside the soundhole, which is a mark of quality (no pun intended). // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is definitely reliable and durable. Yamaha makes solid reliable and durable products. It's a keeper, something to grow up and grow old with. If you are buying a gift for someone into guitars, consider this guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: I play Acoustic rock songs, pop songs, basically any fun strumming sing along songs, and fingerstyle. This guitar is a good versatile match for the songs I play. I'm currently considering buying the FG730S but hesistating because my FG720S is damn good, and if I buy a FG730S, 1 of them will get neglected. If I neglect the FG730S then its a waste of money buying it. If I neglect my FG720S, its a waste of a good guitar. It's just a matter of GAS and curbing it I guess (no pun intended). When I was shopping for it, I nearly chose the FG730S though, but went with the FG720S because it's 50 bucks cheaper and was better constructed than the FG730S guitars available at the shop. Comparing it to other Acoustic guitars in its price range, there's no contest really, Yamaha wins it hands down. Overall a good buy, I'm glad I chose this piece. // 9

FG720S Reviewed by: messier_hunter, on may 10, 2011

Purchased from: Tehran, Iran

Features: Paid 320 USD, Made in china but I don't know when. Dreadnought, 20 normal frets, Rosewood fingerboard, Solid top (Yeah!), Eastern mahogany for back/sides/neck, Natural wood color, Glossy Finish, Diecast tuners and a set of Yamaha factory strings. Came in a box with anything but an Allen wrench for adjusting truss rod and a user manual. // 9

Sound: Honestly it's my first acoustic. But I love the sound. Compared lots models of many brands. Very loud sound because of the full sized body. Somebody told me it's default string set isn't good and real sound appears when I change to a good set. It doesn't have any electronics and I like it because I want to pay just for things I use. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was perfect just out of the box. Building and quality control is exellent (God damn Ibanez! I bought an electric with many defects. It's my nightmare). I checked for intonation and it was ok! Solid tuners, flawless neck, nice finish without any scratches and a good packaging. In comparision to my low budget classic guitar, it has much thinner finish. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I own this guitar only for a month. It seemed to last at least for five years but when I searched the net for reviews from Yamaha owners, found players that use models very similar to FG series for about 30 years! Finish is thin and glossy so it seems to scratch easily. I bought a good hardcase for it and behave it so kindly so I'm sure it lasts for many years. I don't use a strap so I have no opinions about strap buttons strength. // 9

Overall Impression: I bought it for playing many styles. Rock, Blues, Pop, Bluegrass, ... It's a very well made guitar with wonderful price tag. You can not find better than FG series in this price range. If it were stolen, after hitting the... Who did this I go to music store and buy another one maybe a higher model in FG line. I love it because it simple but effective. Good sound, perfect quality and a nice price. What more do you expect from it? // 10

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ FG730S 9 Acoustic Guitars 07/11/2014