FG730S Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 07/11/2014 category: Acoustic Guitars
Yamaha: FG730S
The level of detail and craftsmanship found in the 730S place this guitar in a class above the rest. Finish options available for this guitar include Natural, Tobacco Brown Sunburst, and Vintage Cherry Burst.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.2
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.3
 Features: 8.8
 8.9
reviews (6) pictures (2) 18 comments vote for this gear:
FG730S Reviewed by: Caustic, on january 18, 2007

Features: I am unsure where the FG series are produced, but they're likely from Indonesia or somewhere around there. It's a recently produced one, freshly ordered for me. 20 (very comfortable, very playable) frets set very evenly and smoothly into a rosewood fretboard. The dreadnought-style body top is made out of solid Sitka Spruce, with rosewood back, sides, bridge, fretboard and a neck of unknown origin that seems to be some kind of mahogany. Either way, it's well finished, playable, and tough. The whole thing has a very thin but tough satin like finish over it that lets your hand glide up the neck. The tuners are a no-name factory stock brand, but they feel tight and secure, it was in tune when it came out of the box and after a few hours pretty solid, vigourous jamming on it the strings still kept their tuning. For features? What can you give an acoustic for features? It's just an acoustic. The parts are all quality, well assembled and well finished. For its price, because I don't give tens out on principle that there is always something out there that could be better. // 9

Sound: Okay. I'm a bass player first and foremost. I picked this acoustic up wit the intention of using it as a songwriting Tool and possibly the odd open mic night, instrument swap arounds in my band, et cetera. My band plays a blend of modern/alternative rock, 80's and 90's Indie and some random covers. For this, the 730 nailed the sound I wanted from it straight out of the box. Very jangly, but with strong mids and a warm bassy end to give the tone weight. It doesn't have the big "thrummmm-thrummm-thrummm" sound of a true dreadnought, the FG730 apparently has a slightly shallower body and this cuts some of the bass out and projects the highs much more. I like it that way. I find this guitar is very responsive, you don't need to work the guitar, you just need to play it. A true pleasure to own and to play. It's not a Martin. It's not a high end Takamine. It's a Yamaha, mass produced and aiming at that end of the market where the piggybank is broken whenever you need new gear. With this in mind, and comparing it to it's competitors, this is a good nine again. You will be hard pressed to find a better acoustic for 200. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: From the factory, the action was better than most electrics I have seen. Smooth, playable and not straining from fret 1 to 14. From 14 onwards, reaching the frets gets tricky because of the slab of dead tree blocking you, but there is no buzz, no difficulty fretting cleanly. The wood is nicely matched and the grain is beautifully polished up. I can spot no visible flaws, and feel no weak joints or icky bits. Everything is clean and as expected. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have No Doubt this guitar can withstand a Live set and would undoubtedly be fine without a backup, well, assuming you don't hammer the hell out of your strings and bend up octaves or something crazy, but that's your fault, not the guitar. Treat your gear right, and your gear will never let you down. I will not comment on the durability/longievity of this guitar, as I have not owned it long yet. Should anything arise that I feel is worthy of your attention, I'll post it. However, from the feel of it, I don't expect anything to happen that I don't cause myself. Seven from first impressions, though. It looks like it means business. // 8

Overall Impression: As said before, I play alternative/indie/Britpop et cetera with this guitar, and yes, it suits it beautifully. I've been playing bass for nigh on three years now. I own and play a Warwick Rockbass Fortress, that I have also reviewed here. I run it through a (brand new and soon to be reviewed too) Laney RB-8 300w combo. If this were stolen or damaged, I would truly be heartbroken. Partially because it's Brand New, but mostly because I've already poured my heart and soul into this little buddy, feel at home playing it, and really feel like it's my guitar. You know, that feeling you get when you try out a ton of instruments, and then you pick one up and something stirs inside of you? And not the vindaloo you had the night before, either. What do I love? The tone, that wonderful, bright, jangly, crisp, yet mellow and rounded sound from each and every string. The feel of the neck and the pure value and quality of it for the price. I love the smart mother-of-pearl inlays and wonderful decor and finish to the guitar. Simple, subtle touches that make all the difference. What do I hate? Honestly, putting it down! So, overall, and breaking my rule (more of a guideline), ten. I really, honestly feel I have made the best purchase I could possibly have made, and one of the best purchases of my musical "career" thus far. The second best, in fact. The best being the amp I will review at a less insanely late time. A big round of applause for Yamaha, bringing quality instruments to those of us who just can't afford the insane prices the big name brands demand. // 10

FG730S Reviewed by: Kurt1964, on january 28, 2011

Purchased from: Guitar Center.. Tonawanda, New York

Features: The Yamaha FG730S that I own was constructed in 2010, and manufactured in China. The features of this guitar are many; it has 20 frets residing on a bound Rosewood neck. The top is solid spruce sitka, supported by Rosewood sides and back. The top features an Abalone rosette inlay, accompanied by a Tortise pickguard, and a Rosewood bridge. The two-ply Rosewood headstock has "sealed" diecast chrome plated tuners. The finish is a clear polyeurathane, which highlites out the natural beauty of the woodgrain, superbly. The guitar cane with NO extras. // 9

Sound: The style of music I play is primarily "Classic Rock" and "Country". And for these genra's of music, the Yamaha FG730S is very well suited for the job. The sound is very full, yet it has a brightness to it, especially with it's harmonics, that I can only describe as, "pure sunshine"! Play one, you'll see what I mean. Over-all; the sound is very "clean" and "crisp", with sensational tone. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Other than having to be tuned, the factory "set-up" was average. The frets were seated properly, and the neck needed no adjustment. The bridge, nut and tuners are spot-on accurate. The action and responce is wonderful, no worries there. In other words, NO "buzz" to it at all. The finish and the construction is some of the best that I've seen in a $300.00 guitar. No glue overlaps, even staining and smoothe lines. However, the strap button did need to be tightened. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've used this FG730S on several live gigs, and so far, it seems to be putting up with all my abuse quite well. It's finish is thick enough to prevent most rough handling. And the tuners, once tuned, stay tuned! In my opinion, bringing a back-up out to a live gig, is moot. As with any guitar though, with a good solid case, reasonable care, and regular maintainence, this FG730S should last for many years to come. // 10

Overall Impression: As like mose musicians, the style of music that I play is constantly evolving. But for "Classic Rock" and "Country", the Yamaha FG730S is a great match! I've been playing for several years now, and have owned many guitar in my day, ie: the Yamaha FG700S, a Washburn D10SCEB, and various Fender acoustics, etc... But for style, beauty and sound, the 730S has them all beat. If it were to become "lost or stolin", I would definately re-buy the Yamaha FG730S again! What I love most about it, is it's over-all quality and sound, and action. This guitar has never let me down. So if you're looking for a moderately priced, quality Acoustic guitar, give the 730S a serious audition. And as alway's... ROCK ON! // 9

FG730S Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 05, 2011

Features: Though I really don't know where Yamaha produces their axes, but this one is definitely high quality. 20 frets, solid Sitka Spruce top and Rosewood back and sides. The top, back, and sides have a nice, even gloss coating, while the back of the neck is smooth satin (a feature I'm in love with). The gloss really brings out the natural grain in the woods. The tuners are your standard tuners with some nice shine. They stay in tune really well, too. // 9

Sound: This guitar works really nicely for country. Bright, rich sound. Mine is a bit buzzy up past the 15 fret, but then again the hunk of wood gets in the way of fretting and is probably the cause. It works well for a lot of styles, though- I've played a bit of hardcore rock on it as well and it really holds up. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Right out of the factory, this guitar is just stunning. There's no need to adjust anything on it. Everything's fitted quite nicely; the pearl inlays really add to the overall look of the axe. The nut is just a tad misaligned, but it doesn't impact the sound at all. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitely last. And last. I feel like I'd depend on it, no backup needed. All hardware's nice and sturdy. The strap button is actually a bit big for most straps and you'd have to tie it up behind the nut. Unlike most, the finish isn't wearing down were my elbow sits on the top. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this one is the leader of it's price range. I snagged the last one in stock at my local guitar center. I'd buy it ten times over if it were stolen- and it's nice enough to be stolen! I love the feel and sound of it. A cutaway might be the only thing it could be improved by, but if you're not playing up that high, it's perfect the way it is. Long live Yamaha! // 10

FG730S Reviewed by: eoj02, on february 18, 2014

Features: The FG730S is a full size acoustic made in China. There is no build date but it is a current model and it was purchases in 2013. It has a solid Sitka spruce top with rosewood back and sides. The body has a flawlessly applied gloss finish that shines against the satin finished nato neck. The entire guitar is bound from head to toe with a cream binding and a triple black purfling on the body. The standard closed tuners hold the strings in tune over the nicely set up plastic nut. It came with older strings that had been played quite a bit at the music store but that had. to be expected when you end up at a guitar center where thousands of kids pick up anything they can. // 8

Sound: This is not a loud acoustic that will jump out at you. You can't jump out over a screaming fiddle or a booming Martin. It has a quite mellow tone. That is not a bad thing. This allows each note to ring out equally and it really has a balance that I can only compare to a Gibson. This makes it easy to sing without having to play too softly or push your voice too hard if you are not using a mic. This allows me to play classical on a steel string without really having to worry about plucking a string too hard or that annoying string slide sound. However if you play with someone who is using a fiddle or that Martin, you will most likely find yourself in the background or playing supporting leads rather than jumping on the front burner and standing out above the rest. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup on this guitar was flawless. The strings are at a nice height with no fret buzz. The neck seems to have the correct relief and the frets were smooth and rounded off better than a lot of the more expensive guitars at the music store. There were only two issues I have come across. There is a small chip out of the back of the headstock. This could have happened at the store. Now the problem that stood out was on the back of the neck at the 10th fret. It's barely noticeable but I can feel a tiny depression. It doesn't effect the playability, but it is there. // 6

Reliability & Durability: There is not a lot to say about the durability. This guitar feels solid. I've played it quite vigorously and it has stood up to it with ease. The tuners feel like they might wear out at some point. They are pretty solid right now but you can tell they just don't have the guts to last forever. The Sitka spruce top is a little thicker than some of the other/louder acoustics out there. This gives you more a a sense of security while you're playing in less than ideal circumstances. The gloss finish really helps when a beverage gets dribbled on the body. It also helps when you play those long sessions in the sweltering heat of the mid summer camp site. // 9

Overall Impression: Ok, I play everything from classical to metal. I've dabbled with violin, piano, harp, bass and drums. But the guitar has been the constant for 20 years. I recently had my electric gear stolen so I thought I would try another guitar. I went shopping with $2000 and full intentions of buying something in that price range. I wasn't even going to look at something like this but I was starting to get frustrated. Everything I played did one thing well but lacked in something else. The FG730S sounded smooth and even. If you are looking for a singer, songwriter guitar then this is the one for you regardless of price. // 10

FG730S Reviewed by: Rurounikz, on may 22, 2013

Price paid: € 330

Purchased from: thomman

Features: Made in China. 20 frets, rosewood fingerboard, nato neck. Solid sitka spruce. Rosewood back and sides. Now it's available on Vintage cherry sunburst which looks nice, mine is natural finish because I do believe I get better resonance out of it. When I made the order it was available in Tobacco BS and natural but I expect they will make a color variety to make it even more interesting. Dreadnought, rosewood bridge, Yamaha standard tuners which is reliable if you ask me. Black and white stripe binding. Brown colored pickguard. 11 gauge strings Yamaha factory type not bad but 10s are better imo. No accessories came with it. // 9

Sound: I'm a self taught player mainly learning from videos, internet was my ally in to this and I can't say I play alot of different things. Some open chords, some fingerpicking some movable chords, some soloing but nothing special that would require the use of the guitar to its limits. I'm playing rock ballads which means alot of open chords and its working just fine. FG-730 has a bright mellow but balanced sound. It's got nice volume I often get compliments about how loud it sounds. It can play open chords, movable chords and that's the thing I like the most about it! I get really nice sounds from movable chords. You can solo a little bit up to 17 fret where things get tough after that. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory action was decent but had it for set up a month after I bought it for maximum results. Now its has pretty low and good action. The top doesn't gave a perfect bookmatch but its actually quite good. You can see from the pattern of the spruce that's a good selection. Bridge placed nice no marks no glues or anything else. Unlike most guitars I've played before buying this no finish marks, glue traces. Everything was in perfect order the moment I took it out of its box and still is. I remember the string distances were slightly off in 1 or 2 strings so before I tune it I hold the string to the saddle spot I wanted and that's it. Has high quality finish which makes it hard to scratch and in conclusion you can't spot anything in the exterior which gives you the impression that you hold a guitar that could easily cost 700 euro. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'm pretty sure this guitar will withstand pretty mush everything. Live playing, everyday playing, gigs you just name it. Bought mine 2 years ago look exactly the same and I play it everyday for hours. Doesn't live my house more than once a month though. Very reliable I bumped it countless times in my metal partly chair and doesn't have a single mark. All it has is some minor scratches made by jacket zippers in the back. I've used it for the past 2 years and I can surely say its will last another 10 years don't know about refretting though. // 9

Overall Impression: Works perfectly for the things I play I play 2 years + and I had a cheap Fender which had alot of issues and I had to change equip. This guitar is the real deal its not best guitar but in that price range please do inform me if there is a better guitar. Sound is subjective, I think it sounds great others might say it sounds to bright or something. If I were to buy another acoustic I would buy the FG-750 cause it looks a bit better but you never know. Love the sound, playability, size, feel, its looks and hell it even smells good! Also like the fact that the tuners work like they are brand new. Now what do I dislike hmm nothing! Before buying this I've spent months looking for a good guitar. I've compared this to other FG series Cpx, Apx but any guit that was better than the 730 was almost 100 euros up and the badget was low so you get the point. Made a research on other brands like Fender and I was really disappointed, Takamines were ok but didn't like the sound (they sound kinda dull to me and they look kinda old) Hm what else was there about brands Ibanez, Epiphones, Corts was a good option 2nd in mind, Washburn was a good option too. So over all it looked better than the most, cost was in the same price with most, had good specs, good reputation, owners were pretty happy with it as I am. For that price was a steal really. // 10

FG730S Reviewed by: fernandorobles2, on july 11, 2014

Purchased from: Amazon.com

Features: The guitar was made in china, that might be a red flag to some but rest assured, it was well made in china, a good quality guitar. It has 20 frets and a thin neck, made of Nato wood. Features a solid sitka spruce top and rosewood back and sides and also rosewood fingerboard and bridge. The tuners are generic but they work all right, you have to fumble a bit to get the guitar tuned right but they hold tune for a long time. Not much more features to talk about, very streamlined, no nonsense guitar. // 9

Sound: Being a beginner it suits my music style pretty well, that being because I have no music style I am a beginner!. Comparing with other guitars, this one sound really bright and not too booming like other guitar. Some tunes might sound a bit different on this guitar than they do originally, "Wonderwall" for example sound very bright, it is a nice sound it projects, I really like it. It can play very quiet or very loud and will sound nice. Overall it is a pleasing sound, of course being a beginner I really can't say which music style best suits this guitar, country and rock definitely. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was great from out of the box, I have yet to modify anything on this guitar and I'm going for 3 months since I purchased it. The action does get a bit higher after the 7th fret but not that bad. Nothing out of place really, the Yamaha strings are good, I might replace them soon but 3 months and they are going strong. No dings and dents on the guitar (surprising since it was shipped from Arizona to Puerto Rico by way of UPS). A very nicely set up guitar, only thing that needed was tuning, after that it was ready to play, 3 months later without changing anything it still plays great. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar will surely withstand live playing, I have not tested it live but it looks really sturdy. I believe this guitar with proper care will last me a lifetime. I got the natural color and it looks great, it comes with a glossy finish, really sexy looking and really tough, my guitar has banged against walls a few times and not a scratch. Of course I cannot surely say if I would gig without a backup. It has only one strap button and I have not used it, but it looks all right. One thing to note is that it has no cutaway so you can really only play up to the 14th fret. Overall a really sturdy instrument. // 9

Overall Impression: If you are a beginner like me, you should definitely check out this guitar, it is a good quality instrument at an affordable price, of course many reviews point out that long time players should also check it out because of the price. For learning it works very good, you know chords and strumming and all that. If it were stolen I would cry and save up for another one (I'm a broke college student) I don't hate anything in this guitar, if anything it has motivated me more and more to keep learning new things, and it has not failed me yet. If you are like me, looking for a quality beginners guitar, I chose this one, and I would recommend any beginner this guitar, and if your hurting for cash you can check out the cheaper Yamaha FG700S and FG720S, no doubt they are as good as this one. // 9

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ THR10X 9.3 Guitar Amplifiers 09/08/2014