FG750S Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 05/11/2010 category: Acoustic Guitars
Yamaha: FG750S
The FG750S is a stunning instrument that offers pro features at a reasonable price. Features include a solid sitka spruce top, sycamore back and sides, and die-cast tuners with vintage plastic pegs.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.7
 Features: 9.7
 9.4
 9.9
 8.8
reviews (3) 15 comments vote for this gear:
FG750S Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 10, 2005

Features: It is a 20 fret guitar with a solid sitka spruce top which is wood found in Alaska, and sycamore sides and backs. I believe the neck is rosewood, and it has a lite transparent finish. It also has die-cast tuners, and honestly I have a SZ520 Ibanez electric and the finishes are very similar it looks pretty cool. // 9

Sound: I play pretty much everything with the exception of country, it plays classical really well for being a steel string and it has an amazingly rich full sound. If you could turn an acoustic piano into a guitar this would be it. It sustains very long and it can get really loud without using any expressions in it. It also picks up hammer-ons and pull-offs really well without having to hit or pull as hard as most acoustics. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: To be honest I have no complaints about anything on the guitar it is set up great and looks great plus with the thin laquer finish it can take a little beating. // 10

Reliability & Durability: As long as you keep it humid and in a safe place it'll last like I said it's made well and got a little protection on it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock mostly and anything else but something about this guitar makes you want to just play a chord and let it ring because it has an amazing tone to it. If you really want a great guitar without spending thousands then get it. I mean I play the best for the money electric you can buy so this is what I go for if your the same way than get this guitar. // 10

FG750S Reviewed by: fsb_ben, on february 22, 2006

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: Brand new for 2005. - Top: solid sitka spruce - Back & sides: sycamore - Fingerboard: tortoise/black/white - Body & neck binding: black/white - Tuners: Die-Cast with Vintage plastic pegs The Vintage pegs are beautiful. The pics online do not do it any justice. The finish is a nice glossy type, very resistant to dents. // 10

Sound: I like acoustic songs that are kinda slower. This guitar has a rich/full sounds to it, it resonates very well! This guitar has a lot of versatility to it as it can handle anything. I really like how each note on the string blends together to make one, uniform, smooth sound. Cheaper guitars fail to do this and sound very rigid. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is low as Yamaha designed this new series of guitar to have easy playability. No flaws in design or cosmetics, it was perfect. Even when you look inside the soundhole, everything looks very neat and tidy = good craftsmanship. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's definately a loud guitar but an AE is probably better for gigging. This guitar is going to last for sure and I can depend on it to stay in tune for a long time while I play. // 10

Overall Impression: I love these new Yamahas. I also own an Ibanez SA160QM and AD15VT amp. If I lost this guitar or if someone stole it, I'd be mighty upset. I wish there was an AE version of the FG750S but that's about it. I really like the low action and the sound that comes out of this guitar! // 10

FG750S Reviewed by: Dom Hawthorn, on may 11, 2010

Purchased from: Conserve Guitars

Features: I got this guitar second hand from my local guitar store. It was made in Taiwan, has 21 frets and a rosewood fingerboard. It has a brilliant solid sitka spruce top found in alaska with a great looking natural gloss finsish as well as 6 ply dark brown/black/ivory binding. The tortoise shell pickguard is very nice as is the wooden rossete. The back and sides are sycamore and also have a sort of dark brown wooden binding. The neck is matte nato and has 2 ply binding all the way up and around the headstock. The tuners are dicast with amber perloid tuning pegs. Overall I was really pleased, the materials are all top quality and the craftsmanship is great. It is something to be expected from much more expensive guitars! Included accessories were a wall hanger and a allen key thing. // 10

Sound: Of all the guitars in this price range, this one stood out. Bright, but warm. Sparkly and full. I compared this guitar to a 1000 Martin and to be honest the sound difference was miniscule! I simply can't justify how some guitars can cost so much just because of the name on the headstock! This guitar has an amazing sound and really does stand its own agains guitars costing up to 5 times as much! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I had the guitar set up in store when I bought it. It was set up perfectly, nice low action, just what I wanted. The finish is absolutley stunning. The natural gloss looks great with the tortoise shell pickguard. The only flaw with this product was a few scratches on this pickguard, but thats to be expected when buying second hand. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Everything on the guitar seems to be pretty solid, I was very impressed with the neck block bracing which you only normally find on guitars costing around 1 grand and over. Everything seems to be built right, and with the proper care this guitar should last a long time. // 10

Overall Impression: This will not be one of those guitars that you buy but end up wondering wether you brought the roght guitar, trust me! I tried out so many guitars for around the same price, and even some more expensive ones, but none of them could stand up to the Yamaha fg750s! I love everything about this guitar, the looks, the sound, EVERYTHING! The one and only thing that could make this guitar better would be if it had solid back and sides but that wouldn't make much of a difference until its a few years old. Overall, if you're thinking of getting this guitar, go for it, you wont regret it! // 10

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ THR10X 9.3 Guitar Amplifiers 09/08/2014