FGX730SC Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 10/01/2013 category: Acoustic Guitars
Yamaha: FGX730SC
This is a great guitar for '90s style playing. Bands like Green Day, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, etc. sound great with this guitar.
 9.1
 9.4
 8.7
review (1) pictures (3) user comments vote for this gear:
FGX730SC Reviewed by: ehbacon, on october 01, 2013

Features: This is my second guitar, first acoustic-electric. It has 21 frets, 25-9/16" string scale, and a solid sitka spruce top, and a string-thru body bridge style. It features a nato neck and a rosewood body. It has a natural finish on a cutaway body, and a good preamp: system 56CB (1-way, die-cast chromatic tuner included)ю There were no accessories included, but it fits snug with a Yamaha hard-shell case. Even though it doesn't come with any extra accessories, this guitar has everything I would ever want or need in a guitar! // 9

Sound: This is a great guitar for my '90s style playing. Bands like Green Day, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, etc. sound great with this guitar. I have been using my Fender Princeton 650 with it, it sounds just as good plugged as unplugged. I haven't been putting effects on it but I'm sure the guitar would be good for stuff like chorus and delay. It is not noisy, but it isn't compatible for a distortion channel. It has a very full sound to it, and has a great variety of sound it can make, you can play virtually anything on this guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first got my model it had too high action for my taste, but I took to the store I had bought it from and they adjusted it for me free of charge. Pickups are good, bookmatched top, routed bridge, everything is perfect with this guitar. The only flaws are that cables are tough getting in and out of the guitar, but this doesn't effect sound at all. This will probably not be an issue as the guitar gets older. The tuner also blinks on and off when batteries are low, but it still works efficiently. There are no major flaws with this guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've been playing this guitar for hours at a time and it holds up very well, it would be great for live play. My only complaint is that I'm used to having a strap-lock with my electric, but that wasn't featured with the Yamaha so I'll have to go get one. I can definitely depend on this guitar at gigs, no backups needed. The finish is great, definitely will last. I haven't played it long enough for it to wear off, but I would bet good money I will be able to play this guitar a long time. This is an extremely reliable guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: Again, this is a great match for me and my style playing. I've been playing it for a few weeks now and love it! Previously the only guitar I owned was a Jay Turser JT-220 electric, which is also a great guitar. The only thing I wish I had done before bringing the guitar home was getting the neck adjusted to lower the action. I love the harmonics on the Yamaha, they're beautiful, there is nothing I dislike about this guitar. If I somehow lost it, I would buy another in an instant. I would definitely suggest this guitar! // 10

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ THR10X 9.3 Guitar Amplifiers 09/08/2014