FGX730SC Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 09/14/2015 category: Acoustic Guitars
Yamaha: FGX730SC
This is a great guitar for '90s style playing. Bands like Green Day, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, etc. sound great with this guitar.
 Features: 9.5
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
reviews (2) pictures (3) user comments vote for this gear:
FGX730SC Reviewed by: ehbacon, on october 01, 2013

Features: This is my second guitar, first acoustic-electric. It has 21 frets, 25-9/16" string scale, and a solid sitka spruce top, and a string-thru body bridge style. It features a nato neck and a rosewood body. It has a natural finish on a cutaway body, and a good preamp: system 56CB (1-way, die-cast chromatic tuner included)ю There were no accessories included, but it fits snug with a Yamaha hard-shell case. Even though it doesn't come with any extra accessories, this guitar has everything I would ever want or need in a guitar! // 9

Sound: This is a great guitar for my '90s style playing. Bands like Green Day, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, etc. sound great with this guitar. I have been using my Fender Princeton 650 with it, it sounds just as good plugged as unplugged. I haven't been putting effects on it but I'm sure the guitar would be good for stuff like chorus and delay. It is not noisy, but it isn't compatible for a distortion channel. It has a very full sound to it, and has a great variety of sound it can make, you can play virtually anything on this guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first got my model it had too high action for my taste, but I took to the store I had bought it from and they adjusted it for me free of charge. Pickups are good, bookmatched top, routed bridge, everything is perfect with this guitar. The only flaws are that cables are tough getting in and out of the guitar, but this doesn't effect sound at all. This will probably not be an issue as the guitar gets older. The tuner also blinks on and off when batteries are low, but it still works efficiently. There are no major flaws with this guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've been playing this guitar for hours at a time and it holds up very well, it would be great for live play. My only complaint is that I'm used to having a strap-lock with my electric, but that wasn't featured with the Yamaha so I'll have to go get one. I can definitely depend on this guitar at gigs, no backups needed. The finish is great, definitely will last. I haven't played it long enough for it to wear off, but I would bet good money I will be able to play this guitar a long time. This is an extremely reliable guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: Again, this is a great match for me and my style playing. I've been playing it for a few weeks now and love it! Previously the only guitar I owned was a Jay Turser JT-220 electric, which is also a great guitar. The only thing I wish I had done before bringing the guitar home was getting the neck adjusted to lower the action. I love the harmonics on the Yamaha, they're beautiful, there is nothing I dislike about this guitar. If I somehow lost it, I would buy another in an instant. I would definitely suggest this guitar! // 10

FGX730SC Reviewed by: NielJM, on september 14, 2015

Purchased from: A DAWLIAH - Riyadh KSA

Features: Manufacture Date: Nov. 19 2009
Unit: 1,070
Made in Taiwan
Frets: 20 medium (I think)
Fingerboard: Rosewood (with binding)
Neck: Nato (matte finish)
Sides and back: Rosewood
Top: Solid Spruce black finish
Bridge: Rosewood
Scale Length: 25 9/16
Tuners: Chrome Die Cast
Pickup: One way piezo
Preamp: Yamaha ART series preamp
Controls: Volume dial, Tuner button, low mid and high sliders, an AMF slider, and a digital LED for the tuner.
Battery: 9 volt

It didn't come with any case or bag so I bought a Proel Hardcase FORC3 Series which fitted great. // 10

Sound: It has a great full sound, great for country, blues, jazz, rock. The low, mid and highs are perfectly balanced (unplugged) which makes it great for chord progressions as well as lead single note picking as every note is delivered with great clarity. The lows are punchy, unlike the APX or CPX models unplugged, but then again, the APX and CPX were said to have been made mostly for plugged-in playing. The highs are clear, not tinny or too bright, but definitely pronounced and delivers great clarity for single note lead runs. Plugged-in takes a lot of getting used to as you usually need to fumble around the low, mid and highs to balance out the tones. Usually sounds great plugged in when the mids are set to low. I use a Fender acoustasonic 150 and it sounds awesome. But mostly I use this unplugged and mic'd which already sounds awesome in itself. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Out of the box, setup is great! (which I felt very lucky for as other reviews of this guitars mentioned some issues regarding the action being too high). Not too high nor too low, which suits my playing style. Top of the frets were evenly polished, though the fret edging could have used a little more filing work as some seemed too squared, though this is definitely not a deal-breaker. Initially I felt unlucky as I had to purchase the one on display, as the sales rep said that that was their only FGX730 in stock, but when I got to play around with it at the store, it felt and looked awesome as I didn't find anything to complain about except for a few scratches on the scratch plate, which anyway still had the factory plastic on it, so no complains there ;) // 10

Reliability & Durability: I honestly haven't played this in a gig, but I would imagine this to withstand live playing and will definitely cut through the mix as it delivers tones through and through with thundering clarity, which I am really surprised to hear from a "mid-jumbo" style dreadnought. The hardware are pretty rigid... definitely set tightly into place, i.e. preamp, battery holder, strap buttons are solidly locked into place. If I were to gig with this, there wouldn't be any need for a backup as this is a solidly built axe. Though I would probably buy another one just for the road, as the finish seem naturally thin, probably to ensure the tone characteristics of the wood shines out. Though being a solid spruce top, as well as rosewood back and sides, this will probably age well. // 10

Overall Impression: In more than 25 years of playing, I usually play classic rock, grunge, blues, punk and classical pieces and this plays through great in all genres, which says a lot. I have recently purchased this a few days back, but I definitely forsee buying another one just to keep a spare if it got lost or stolen or banged up pretty bad. I own other acoustics like Fender, Aria and some local brands, but this one is growing to be my favorite as it out plays my other acoustics in terms of presence and tonal variety.

I only wish it had strap locked buttons as opposed to the traditional strap buttons to add more to the "safety factor"... But overall, I've definitely got nothing to complain about as this is truly a guitar that's worth every buck. I had compared this to an Aria Japan dreadnought semi jumbo and this by far wins hands down! Will definitely recommend it to both beginners and intermediate players alike. // 10

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ F310 8.5 Acoustic Guitars 11/10/2015