LL16 Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 08/16/2011 category: Acoustic Guitars
Yamaha: LL16
The new Yamaha LL16 has a solid Engelmann Spruce top and solid Rosewood back and sides. It also features a new non-scalloped bracing design that delivers a beautiful and well balanced tone. Choice materials and Yamaha's unique ability to blend traditional skills with advanced manufacturing make the Yamaha LL16 an exceptional guitar at a price that's hard to beat.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 8.2
 9.5
 6.8
reviews (2) pictures (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
LL16 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 28, 2005

Features: It's a 2004 made in Taiwan acoustic dreadnought. Solid Engelman spruce top. Solid East Indian rosewood back and sides. 3ply ebony fretboard. Ebony bridge. Mahogany-rosewood-mahogany neck. Non scalloped bracing. Golden grover style tuners. It came in a nice hardfoam case with a neck adjustment tool. // 10

Sound: It's the ballsiest sound I ever heard with great lows and very ballanced mids and highs and great sustain. Never gets noisy, no matter how hard you strumm, you get the clear sound of a very loud powerfull guitar. When fingerpicking it produces a bell like sound and it's the ideal sound if you pick really hard. CSN, Simon & Garfunkle, Don McLeane are some of my favorites and I really enjoy the sound that I get from this dread. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I did'nt like the setup at all because there was a buzz of A & D stings at the third fret so I had to raise the action of the neck a bit using the tool it came with. For now the buzz is gone and the action is still ok but it seems that they didn't give the attention they should by just trying to lower the action without spending the time to test it after. Everything else is very well done. The woods are outstanding for the price and so are the tuners. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's a very well made instrument, with high quality materials, nice finish, but I'm carefull with it because it's an all solid guitar and being so is not as durable as a laminated one. // 10

Overall Impression: I play 30 years and have also a Larivee D-05 witch is an all solid spruce-mahogany dread with a very good sound but it's sound looses a bit when you play hard (somekind of distortion). I decided to write the review for the LL16 because I think that the Yamaha L-Series are outstanding guitars, even compared with higher priced American or Canadian brands. I played many fine guitars and if any of you can't afford a 2000$ guitar, try one LL16 to see if you like it as I do and don't be suprised if you like it better. // 10

LL16 Reviewed by: StahlMaster, on august 16, 2011

Purchased from: local store (Russia, Moscow)

Features: This is all solid wood guitar made in China. Top is spruce, back and sides are rosewood. It is heavy. Yamaha site says it has an uncommon braces design. Hard case and a wrench to tune neck are included. It is a dreadnought, but it is not too rectangular and I found it more beautiful than Gibson/Martin dreadnoughts. // 8

Sound: A had more than 2000$ budget, and this guitar is the best I found in Moscow (I had compared it with Furchs, Taylors and Takamines). Sound is both bright and powerful (what I miss in Taylors), similar to grand piano. It has quite a lot of bass and is quite boomy for fingerpicking (LJ-16/LS-16 are not), but for flat picking it is perfect. Sustain is good. It has only one dead note (F#3) and it is not very dead, maybe because of a LOT of wood. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is quit low even for me. It isn't good, since it is much more simple to fix high action (by fixing bone). Finish is nearly perfect (in a bright light I found one small flaw in back's finish, and I need about minute to find it again). I found a neck more comfortable than LL26's one (LL26 has a V neck, LL16 has a C one). // 9

Reliability & Durability: Finish is hard and after two hits is still perfect. // 10

Overall Impression: It is the best guitar I have seen in Moscow's stores, and definitely the best for 1000$. I would prefer the same guitar with a cutaway. LLX26C has a cutaway, but it costs 6000$ and I found it's neck less comfortable. If I had stolen it, I would buy the same again or, if I am suddenly six times more rich, maybe LLX26C. // 10

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ DDS-20M Digital Delay Sampler 7.4 Guitar Effects 08/21/2014