ZAD20 Review

manufacturer: Zager date: 01/22/2013 category: Acoustic Guitars
Zager: ZAD20
It is a full size dreadnought guitar with a solid spruce and mahogany construction. The high gloss finish is beautiful and very complimentary to the grains on the face. All beautiful aspects of a quality guitar.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.8
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
 9.7
 9.8
 9.5
reviews (7) pictures (5) user comments vote for this gear:
ZAD20 Reviewed by: strummer4543, on october 04, 2012

Purchased from: www.zagerguitar.com

Features: I bought this guitar early last year. It is a full size dreadnought guitar with a solid spruce and mahogany construction. The high gloss finish is beautiful and very complimentary to the grains on the face. Grover tuners, pearl fret markers, and rosette inlay. All beautiful aspects of a quality guitar. There were many accessories that came with the guitar. First, the gorgeous professional-grade ABS case was on sale and shipped for free with my guitar inside. It has a digital humidity gauge so I know when I need to get my humidifier out. Also, they include a sweet Zager tee shirt, many extra picks, and an extra set of strings. I asked about a strap and VOILA! They included one free of charge just because I asked. This company is awesome with the free gifts and accessories. // 10

Sound: I'm a spruce guy myself, and my buddy is more of a deep Cedar top guy. He got the Zager 80CE after he played mine and said it was a little bright. I like the sound of my ZAD20. It suits my style perfectly and was exactly what I had been searching for. And after owning it for about 1 1/2 years now, I can tell you the sound has gotten so much better with age! WOW! Don't let the awesome pricetag fool you, this guitar beats my Takamine and Breedlove in terms of sound. Even I was surprised at that, but it's so true. The Tak sits in the closet, and the Breedlove is for special occasions only. I play my Zager daily. The sound is so bright and rich because of their special bracing. LOUD! Love it! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar's special set up is the high point on the guitar. They are so nice to play it's insane. I was looking for a daily player that can give my hands some rest, even if it meant sacrificing a little sound while practicing. But this guitar has playability and sound. So slick on the fretboard, I have gotten faster as a guitarist on this baby. I used to only strum, but now I'm getting into fingerpicking and bluegrass. Who woulda known... // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has stood up great. Other than my own dinging it, the finish is still beautiful and glossy, the parts are all in place, and the neck is still straight as an arrow. It stays in tune for days, even weeks. No complaints on the solidity of this guitar. I know I can depend on it to be a lifelong friend. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this guitar is "joy". Joy for the quality at the price point; joy that my fingers aren't making me stop playing earlier than I want, and joy to tell others about the Zager line. Most folks haven't heard of Zager other than the song his dad played in the 70s. I'm so happy to have found Zager and their instruments. You know they care about their product going out their doors, and the customers they're sending to. All correspondence has been easy and fast. Simple questions are answered so fast. They are helpful and you know they know what they're doing. If my ZAD20 was lost I'd be emailing Dennis first thing for a replacement. I would probably try to adjust back to the Tak, but I've done it before and it just isn't the same. Your fingers are yelling at you to Please go back to the Zager! I honestly don't dislike anything about this guitar. I do wish I had my initials in abalone on the fretboard, but I'm not in the budget for the custom jazz. My favorite features are the playability and crisp sound; what else really matters with a guitar. I give credit to this guitar to get me playing again since 15 years ago, and on a whole new level. This guitar is the real deal. And hey, if you get one and it's not for you, send 'er back and buy a XX brand name. They're worth a try... Turned out great for me! // 10

ZAD20 Reviewed by: wly1972, on november 29, 2012

Purchased from: Zager Guitars

Features: My guitar was made in the year of our lord 2012. I have no idea where it was made. I hope mostly in the U.S.A. But, I know it wasn't. I think they import it mostly assembled and then Zagerize it before the sale. I only wish, I could say it was made in the U.S.A. Never the less, I am happy with my purchase. It has 20 frets. It has a solid spruce top as do many. The body and neck are advertised as Mahogany wood. I have no idea if it is real or laminate. The finish on this guitar seems to be perfect. I think the bridge style would be string through body. Tuners are Grover and very nice. // 10

Sound: It suits my music style to a Tee! I Love it! Country/Bluegrass/Blues. No amps and or Effects are needed with this guitar. It has no pick ups what so ever, it really doesn't need them for my use.. Its all on its own sound. Noisy? This thing really rings out a loud and glorious sound when played with a flat pick. I had an old Takamine guitar that, I thought maybe sounded somewhat good until, I got a Martin guitar from Mexico that once again, I thought was nice. Until I got this Zager ZAD 20 Guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The set up from the factory was without flaw what so ever. That is the very best part of this deal. This thing is truly an EZ Play guitar right out of the box. Again there were no pick ups account this guitar doesn't come equipped with them. Properly book matched top? Listen, you would think a person with OCD was in quality control on this one. The top was perfect. Properly routed bridge? What do you mean by that? This guitar has perfect string spacing. It contained no known flaws as to my knowledge at this point and I do not expect any. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would think this guitar would withstand many a year of live playing from the looks of it. The hardware is of top notch quality as to my knowledge. It does seem as though the top notch hardware would stand the test of time. The strap buttons are good as far as I know. I could very well depend upon it. I would use it in any gig and or in front of any audience at any given time. You would not believe the sound of this thing. I would use it with no back up what so ever. Is the finish good enough to last? The finish is flawless on this guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I like to play Blues and country rock-n-roll. It is a good match for this because of its perfect sound. O, I have only been playing about three years as far as guitar goes. I played the drums for years in a band before getting started with the greatest instrument in the world. I also own at this time a Mexican made Martin DX1AE. It is a good instrument, but it does not have near the sound quality and or playability of this Zager even though it is in the same price range. I wish, I had asked the question, - How are you able to sell this guitar at this price?

// 10

ZAD20 Reviewed by: bomichou, on january 08, 2013

Price paid: C$ 495

Purchased from: Zager

Features: - Style - Dreadnought. Dreadnought is the most popular size of guitar in the world. If you want a guitar with bass, volume and power the full size "dread" is the only way to go. - Top - Sitka Spruce. The most important part of an acoustic guitar is its top. The top acts like a speaker. When a string is plucked energy is transferred to the top and the top starts to move. Spruce offers a tight, punchy low end response with great projection. Players who demand a powerful sound with tons of projection will hear the benefit of a Sitka spruce top. Used on only the highest quality guitars in the world. - Back & Sides - Mahogany. One of the most popular tone woods used on acoustic guitars today. If you're looking for punchy bass, solid mids and sparkling highs mahogany is the wood you want on your next guitar. Acoustic guitars in general tend to live in the midrange portion of the sound spectrum, and mahogany in particular displays this characteristic best. Mahogany's tendency to emphasize midrange tones gives this guitar a rich full sound no matter the playing style. You can fingerpick, strum, or flatpick and mahogany always delivers. - Neck - Mahogany. Mahogany - one of the most popular tone woods used on acoustic guitars for the last 50 years. Headstock - Mahogany. Mahogany is lightweight yet strong, and its timeless look is used on many quality guitars. - Rosette - Abalone. Abalone type inlay is found on only the highest quality guitars. Laid by hand one piece at a time, the color and translucence of each piece changes with different amounts of light. Not only does it add to the look of your guitar, but it also adds to the value. - Fret Markers - Pearl. Used on only the highest quality guitars in the world. Laid by hand on the fret board one piece at a time. It's a very tedious, time consuming process but the results are breathtaking. - Pickguard - Gloss Black. Genuine glossy black pick guard. Standard teardrop shape. Adds beauty and protects your instrument at the same time. Lifetime warranty. After years of use we'll replace your pick guard free of charge and make your guitar look new again. This is what makes our 42 year old family owned company different from the rest... We take care of our customers and they continue to come back year after year. - Finish - High Gloss. High-gloss finish provides excellent protection but at the same time is extremely light and elastic. This is a crucial point in both the sound of the guitar and its ability to age - which is what makes a guitar sound better year after year. A thick finish muffles a guitar's vibration and blocks aging. - Truss Rod - Custom Adjustment Setting. Denny designs his guitars with a truss rod adjustment setting that allows you to dial in your guitar to your particular playing style. In this way if you're a heavy handed player you can set the action higher so you can "get on it" a little for more power, and if you're lighter handed touch player you can dial in the action low so you can move faster and play longer with less fatigue. - Tuning Machines - Genuine Grover sealed tuning machines are found on only the finest guitars made. Look at tuners on $2500+ acoustics and you will see the majority have "Grovers". Unlike open gear tuners where the tuning mechanism is exposed, Grover sealed tuners contain a lubricant that keep the tuning mechanism sealed air-tight so the gears turn smooth and continue to for the life of your instrument. Lifetime warranty. If you have a tuner go bad we'll replace it free of charge for life. - Nut - Zager Hand Carved. Denny hand carves each nut for each individual guitar so the strings are set lower with custom spacing. Lower string heights make it easier to press down to form chords and it also increases finger speed. Custom spacing allows you to move faster with less buzzes, mutes, and rattles because you're no longer bumping adjacent strings. Custom string spacing makes it easier for all hands sizes big and small. Lifetime warranty. Break a nut and we'll replace it free of charge for life. - Saddle - Tusq Hand Carved. Denny hand carves each saddle for each individual guitar. Denny also adjusts the intonation settings to bring the guitar harmonically in balance with itself. This not only makes your guitar easier to play, but it also makes it sound more powerful. Customers say our guitars fall into tune easier and stay in tune longer... This is one of the reasons why. Denny uses only genuine "Tusq" brand saddles on his guitars which you generally only find on higher dollar acoustics. Lifetime warranty. Break a saddle and we'll replace it free of charge for life. - Strings - Zager Custom Lights (by Martin). Denny only uses genuine Martin guitar strings on all of his guitars. Ask any pro player who makes the highest quality strings in the world and 9 out of 10 will say Martin... since 1833. We have customers using all brands and gauges of strings on our guitars with excellent results but this is the string that Denny sets all of his guitars up with. - Frets - Zager Soft Touch (hand filed). Denny hand files each fret one at a time on every guitar that leaves our shop. By filing the frets Denny achieves two important things. When sliding up and down the neck your fingers will no longer get irritated and sore and you won't suffer from what we call "String Bite" and overall finger fatigue. Secondly, when you file the frets by hand each fret will have the same uniform height. 9 times out of 10 when you have a buzzing string it has nothing to with your playing, it's because you have a guitar with a fret that's sitting away from the fret board hitting a string. - Warranty - Lifetime. Warranty is simple. Lifetime on all guitars. A quality guitar should be made to last a lifetime and if it doesn't it wasn't a quality guitar to begin with. - Dimensions - 41 x 20 x 11 Height: 41 inches - Box length: 20 inches - Waist: 11 inches - Widest bout: 15.5 inches - Depth: 4.75 inches - Scale length: 25.5 inches - The case was included // 10

Sound: My style is mostly ballad, pop music. It as a nice rich full sound. Was in tune at reception. As a beginner it was appreciated that I had nothing to do but play with it. It is a noiselesly guitar the sound is nice and full. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar had a nice set up, it is a beautiful guitar with a strap button it seems that it will be a guitar that I will keep for a very long time. As for the finish it is with a nice sitka spruce top and a back mahogany. // 10

Reliability & Durability: A guitar that will last a long time. I simply love it. // 10

Overall Impression: I thing this guitar will sustain time it is a good match with me I have try classic guitar and other mark like Guild and the Zager sound even better even if I like my Guild a lot. Yes if it was stolen, I would buy it again. I love the rich sound of this guitar and the facility of the touch for the fingers before I could practice top an hour now I do 2 hours easy. I love my new ZAD20. // 10

ZAD20 Reviewed by: gmuncy, on january 22, 2013

Purchased from: Zager guitar

Features: Made in 2012. I think the shell was made in Indonesia, the rest was done in Lincoln, NE. Guitar was $395. 20 fret rosewood. Mahogany neck sides and back, sitka spruce top. Glossy finish. Dreadnought size acoustic. Hand carved nut and saddle. No electronics. Grover tuners. Case was extra. Extra strings, picks, humidity monitor, truss rod tool, and a cool tshirt were free. The strings are made by Martin. Very fast and courteous customer service. I tried to get him to talk me into the ZAD50 because I liked the way it looked, but Denny talked me into the less expensive model. Case was an extra $95. Honest people, can't put a price on that. // 10

Sound: I play acoustic rock, country, alternative rock, folk. Bluegrass. It performs wonderfully. It was noisy at first, it took about a week for it to "climatize". It took three days for me to "like it". It took about a week for me to fall in "love" with it. I've got a Takamine GS-330S, I've tried several guitars over the years, played them for a while, just to go back to my Takamine. It didn't happen on this one. From the day I took it out of the box, my fingers felt like I've been playing this guitar for years. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: guitar was great out of the box. Straight neck frets not sharp and smooth feeling. The only flaws I see on the guitar are around the binding, there are also some imperfection around the heel where the neck and box are joined. I can also see where the strap peg was reamed on the end of the box. The bad part of this is that I'm afraid to send it back, this guitar plays very good. Sometimes its hard to get what you want. My luck is that I would send it back and not get one that plays as well. I'm really kicking myself for not buying the ZAD80. There was also a lot of wood shavings in the guitar, so bad that one of the stickers fell off the inside and there was so much junk on there I couldn't reapply it. The imperfections are so small that no one would notice. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will do well miked up in a live performance. The hardware is solid ( I don't know anyone who has trouble with Grover) The strap button seems solid. I'm waiting on an extra button to put on the neck. The guitar buzzes when I use the traditional acoustic style strap. I would put this guitar up against any non electric acoustic out there. The finish is glossy and deep. I took it over to my neighbor who is a professional country artist to see what he thought about it, he sat there for 30 minutes playing it and said he loved it but he wouldn't give any more than $600 for it. Tight wad! // 9

Overall Impression: I play all kinds of music. It suits me well. I've been playing 40 years. Takamine GS330S, Gibson SG Standard, I've sold all the rest of my cheap stuff or given it to my kids. Line 6 amps and foot pedals. I wish I would have asked them to install the extra strap peg in the neck, now I'm waiting on one. They "deliver" a guitar in the same manner I would Imagine a fine car dealer would deliver a new Mercedes or BMW. The picture of Mr. Zager holding my guitar is a nice touch. His son should encourage him to keep doing that for as long as possible. (I miss my Dad so much)! If I would have known that was included I would have asked him to sign that as well. If I ever decide to spend the money I would like to own a ZAD80. They also have a ton of help videos, Mr. Zager is a little long winded, but he goes into detail for the beginner. // 10

More Zager reviews rating category latest review
+ 4/5 Parlor Size 9.8 Acoustic Guitars 07/14/2014