ZAD50 Review

8.9
reviews (2) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
ZAD50 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 12, 2010

Purchased from: lincoln(USA)

Features: 2010 Professionally modified, full size dreadnought. Solid spruce top, mahogany back and sides. Sealed Grover tuning gears. Abalone inlay rosette, tortise shell pick guard. Gloss finish. Hand carved custom nut and saddle. Hand filed frets. Scalloped x-bracing. Rosewood fret board (14). Rosewood bridge. Came with Martin strings. 2 picks, Also purchased Zager custom case w/ digital humidifier, locking. Great case. // 10

Sound: Rich, full and bright sound. Not quite as loud as other dreadnoughts, due to extra light strings. The average player will probobly not even notice this. Beleive ir not, this guitar really does compare with guitars in the $1500-$2000 price range. You have to hear it yourself... // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I admit to being a guitar snob. I generally only buy USA made instruments made prior to 1970 (with the exception of Fender Custom Shop guitars- Well done Fender!) The set-up is better than ANY Acoustic guitar I have owned or played. No, the action is not as low as my original '57 Strat, or my Custom Shop '62 reissue Strat, but the transition is very easy. I have examined this guitar with a magnifying glass and can find no flaws. Binding, rosette, bracing, frets, all perfect. I only wish it has a front strap ped, & will add one. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've only owned this guitar for a week, but I'm confident that this guitar will be as durable and dependable as any fine acoustic. These are not solidbody guitars, folks, and require a little extra care and protection. After 35+ years of playing, I avoid Mr. Murphy by always having a back-up. (Now you understand why a guitar snob would buy a $400 guitar). But my ZAD-50 will NOT only be used as a back-up! // 10

Overall Impression: I do not know the Zager's personally. I have no financial interest in their business. I primarily bought this guitar because transporting, insuring, and mothering more than one Vintage Gibson or Martin kinda takes the fun out of a gig. Get a SM57, a good sound guy, and you're in the money. My next guitar purchase WILL be a ZAD80-CE. // 10

ZAD50 Reviewed by: n0qlt, on december 05, 2012

Purchased from: Zager Guitar

Features: I bought my ZAD-50/BK (black finish) around March of 2006. This is an excellent buy. I believe it's mahogany sides and back with steel tuners. The fret board is rosewood. I also purchased (separately) the hard plastic case. I like it fairly well, and the metal band where the two case halves clam shell together meet well and the latches are sturdy. It comes with velcro-ed on temp/humity meter. The battery died a couple of years ago, and I've yet to replace it. I may consider a cutaway version acoustic/electric next time to make playing past the 12th fret a little easier. I have small, thick hands, but the string spacing seems about right. // 10

Sound: I mostly try to "play" (I'm not a very good guitarist by any stretch of the imagination) folk, and acoustic rock/country. I was immediately impressed with the tone. The notes sound loud and clear. Volume is great. Hammer-ons and pull-offs are clearly audible - a feat I had trouble with on my old guitar. Sounds fine with a capo, and I'm actually able to get respectable bell tones on frets other than the 12th. The guitar seems to stay in tune and I've had no trouble tuning it by hand or with an electronic tuner. I absolutely love it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came set up fine, the action seemed properly adjusted, although I may occasionally get a fret buzz. If I had to criticize one thing, it would be the finish has a few less than perfect spots. I don't really care, though, since it plays well and sounds great. Do note, however, that the shiny black finish DOES show fingerprints and requires an occasional wipe-down with a soft cloth to keep it clean. Everything else seems flawless. The guitar seems to stay pretty much in tune from playing session to playing session. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is pretty well made. I think it would hold up easily for my purposes and I have no doubt it would work fine for use at church services or community events. I don't know what stresses are involved in daily live performing, so I won't even venture a guess there. As a side note, I'd purchase a hard case to go with it. My Zager managed to survive an EF-5 tornado with minimal debris/damage inside. While those results aren't probably typical (How can one guess the outcome of these events? ), it is only slightly worse for the wear. (Many items in our house, including us, were "sandblasted". Consider these particles and dirt found their way into factory-sealed containers, and see how lucky I got!) // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is a great match for me as I play strictly for fun--no performing. It didn't break the bank and I feel I certainly got my money's worth. It is considerably easier to play than any other guitar I've owned/played and sounds as good or better than most I've come across. I can't play as much as I'd like due to arthritis and annoying carpal tunnel, but I've found this guitar to be easier on my hands than my others. I do wish it would have come with pegs for a strap. I'd buy another in a heartbeat! // 10

More Zager reviews rating category latest review
+ 4/5 Parlor Size 9.8 Acoustic Guitars 07/14/2014