ZAD50OM Review

9.4
reviews (4) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
ZAD50OM Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 26, 2012

Purchased from: Dennis Zager

Features: My 50OM acoustic guitar is 15% smaller than a standard dreadnought, so the waist is a tad smaller and it's easier to get your arm around. You will lose a tiny bit of sound compared to a full size, but I purchased this as a guitar for my own personal playing, so this slightly smaller guitar is perfect for my needs. Grover tuners, Martin strings, unique neck design that feels right in your hands. Glossy finish. Solid spruce top. Beautiful reddish back and sides. Looks much prettier in person compared to the photos. Unique look but not garish. // 10

Sound: I am not using an amp with this acoustic version, but you could get the 50CEOM acoustic electric and plug in if you needed to. I like the bouncy sound of spruce, and it compares with my Martin OM-18 that I sold about 8 years ago. Everyone I play for loves this little guitar. It has a surprising sound for a slightly smaller box. One night my buddies and I did a sort of blindfold test between all our guitars when I first got the Zager, and they were giving me crap for buying a "no-namer"... And I hate to say my Martin-playing friend was embarrassed when he chose the Zager over his own guitar! Ouch. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Denny's setup is different from most I've seen or had done. It is ready to play out of the box, and stays in tune for weeks. The woods are matched, and the finish was flawless. It arrived packed securely and without a fingerprint on it. Very clean and professionally done. The action is a dream. So easy. It's not one of those one-size-fits-all setups that you can pay $$$ for, it's structurally designed for easier playability without sacrificing anything else. Important. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this guitar, and I would recommend it to others based on my experience with the Zager brand. I am actually a hobby luthier (10 years or so). This guitar I have had for 3 years and is the only guitar that I did not build myself that I will not part with. All other of the shelf guitars I had have been sold except for a Taylor I recently bought in bad condition and rebuilt, and though a nice guitar it is for sale. The ZAD50OM I play daily, and will not part with it. It just gets better with age. Sitka spruce, in comparison to other top woods, has superior tensile strength: it will bend a lot before it breaks. // 10

Overall Impression: Buying a Zager guitar is like going into a new restaurant and getting your dinner and knowing this place is ran by a real chef instead of a bunch of out of touch businessmen, know what I mean? Denny's been doing this his whole life; it's his trade. His son is in the business too, but the fundamentals of their guitars are all based on years of testing and real use by a pro player. It's a great thing and I've pretty happy at the quality and service these guys put out. No anxious feelings and no regrets on this purchase. // 10

ZAD50OM Reviewed by: rferrell1953, on september 03, 2013

Purchased from: Zager

Features: I ordered this new and received it Aug 27, 2013. Made in Nebraska by Dennis, great email ordering statuses handled by his son. I picked the smaller OM size because I figured it would be more comfortable, and I don't need the bigger sound of the dreadnoughts for my purpose. Neck/back/sides are a richly colored mahogany, top is spruce, and it has many other standard features that he puts into the guitars like Grover tuning pegs. Full specs are probably better reviewed by visiting their website than by restating here. They also included a handy little hygrometer, an extra set of strings, and several picks, among other things. I also added a hard case to the order (no brainer, in my opinion, to protect such a nice guitar). It was very reasonably priced as well, and is very well made. The fit is a little loose, so I would Imagine the dreadnoughts also fit in this case. // 10

Sound: The sound is clear and very pleasant, perhaps a little on the bright side (but I have little experience in judging such things, and I've read that they will sound even better as they age), and the sound seems very consistent and intonation good in all positions. I don't claim to be an authority on guitars, but I do have musical training, have owned other guitars in the past, been exposed to friend's guitars, and have listened to guitar music all my life, so I am able to judge "good sound" to some extent, and I think this guitar sounds great. I listened to a more competent friend play it last night, which gave me an even better positive impression. When we compared it to one of his (a less expensive model typical of I might have chosen as a beginner) the difference was like night and day. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When the guitar arrived, it was set up nicely, and plays well right "out of the box" - all I had to do was tune it up (and it wasn't even very far out after having been shipped from Nebraska to Virginia). I'm by no means a luthier, but I can tell that the woods were carefully selected and matched, the joints all look perfect, the finish is flawless, and there are no imperfections that I can find anywhere. The attention to detail is obvious even to my untrained eye, and I can look as long and hard as I want without finding anything that looks less than ideal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'm certainly not planning on knocking this thing around, but I am confident that there will be no problems as it is obviously well made by someone who cares, using top quality materials. I haven't had it long, but have already noticed it stays in tune longer than most guitars I've owned over the years. The finish looks top notch, the fit appears perfect, and I have confidence in his design and his experience in building them. Should it need adjustment over time, it appears that will be simple, and there is information on their website that will help me take proper care of the instrument. // 10

Overall Impression: I just turned 60, and "learning to play guitar" is an item (the only one, ha ha) on my "bucket list." I have always "wanted" to play guitar well, but back in junior high I abandoned it when I learned how to read music on trombone. I majored in Music Performance on bass trombone many years ago, and then ended up programming computers for the last 30 years or so. Over the years I've tried several times to learn with minimal success (I did a little better on bass guitar since it was a more natural transition). When I tried to think of "bucket list" items, I decided learning guitar appealed to me the most as something I might regret not having done. It will also give me something enjoyable to pursue in retirement, and help keep my brain sharp as I age. Also, it's not something that will ever be "checked off" as "done" - I can continue improving and learning for the rest of my life. So, I'm back to square one as a total beginner, first trying to become aware of bad habits, eliminating tensions as I discover them, and retraining muscle memory so that I can move forward properly and much farther than before :) This guitar will be perfect for my goal - it will allow me to play more easily, comfortably, and for longer periods, and will reward me with a good sound when I do something right. It should also lend itself well to various styles such as finger picking should I gravitate in that direction. I'm extremely pleased with my choice, and think it is a very worthwhile investment (and try finding something of this quality made in America for his prices!). // 10

ZAD50OM Reviewed by: wilsonrichards, on november 28, 2012

Purchased from: www.zagerguitar.com

Features: I've recently received my new Zager ZAD-50 OM, orchestra model acoustic guitar and I'll have to say that I almost didn't order it, due to a few bad reviews that I had read. What a mistake I would have made, not ordering this great guitar! I ordered it, received it and I'm totally excited about it. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, how could I loose on that kind of deal!? The OM model is about 15% smaller and it's exactly what I was looking for. The guitar fits me really nicely and the guitar is very easy to handle and is extremely well balanced. I also ordered the case for it and am I glad I did! Wow! For the money, it's an outstanding quality case. I don't put this guitar away very often! It's a joy to play and I'm now a believer in the "E-Z Play" system. Thank you Denny for spending the time that you did, concerning the professional setup on this one! It's awesome and I appreciate it very much! // 10

Sound: The sound is vibrant and projects very well. The fact that this is a OM size model did not seem to affect the volume at all as compared to full size guitars. It has a very rich full sound both when fingerpicking and strumming. We looked at many different guitars and the sound quality of the Zager is far superior to any in this price range and as good as many priced much higher. My brother-in-law is in a band and talks music/guitar night and day was extremely impressed with the sound and could not believe it was coming from a guitar that only cost $495. I had to show him the Zager website to prove it to him. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: As I stated above the action and set-up is what really makes an already excellent guitar stand out. The custom work done by Denny is outstanding. His process of lowering the stings closer to the fret board along with a slightly wider stance and a thinner neck make this the easiest guitar to play that I have ever tried. My brother-in-law has 14 guitars with 7 having special set-up work done and the Zager is in my opinion better than any of them. The Zager guitar probably saved my daughter from giving up on her guitar lessons and renewed her excitement for playing, something that I will be forever grateful to Denny Zager for. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems to be built extremely well. I've got others that simply don't seem as solid. The finish seems so nice and so flawless, it should be very easy to keep it that way. Let's face it, we do have to polish 'em now & then! The strap stud is nice and solid and Grover tuners are awesome. The nut, bridge and saddle are solid and well done! It holds tuning very well... I forget to change strings. My guitar stand was stolen at a gig, so I did without for a while, and my guitar got knocked around more, but survived. // 10

Overall Impression: Well, I played many years ago, about 35 years ago to be exact. Too busy with the career! I'm now retired and wanted to begin learning again. I'm so happy that I found the Zager guitar company and took my time and did my homework, before making a purchase, that I might have been sorry for from other makers. I love the way this guitar feels and handles and it going to make this so much easier! I would certainly recommend this guitar or any from Zager for that matter. If my guitar ever gets lost or stolen, I'd order another one from Zager Guitar in a heartbeat!

// 10

ZAD50OM Reviewed by: BrownRodriguez, on april 04, 2014

Purchased from: www.zagerguitar.com

Features: I finally got some time to play the new guitar and I am extremely pleased with it. The thing that really stands out to me is how well it plays and sounds in the higher frets. Barre Chords are extremely easy to play and sound crisp and in tune all the way up the scale. The quality and sound of the Fishman electronics is off the scale too. Please pass along the compliment to your father. I have also been taking his lessons even though I have played for 55 years. It is requiring me to change some fingering habits of many years, but in the end I feel like it will be very helpful to my fingerpicking. Training the fingers at an older age is somewhat slower than when I was young so it is a little bit of an effort, but worth it. // 10

Sound: I love this guitar. Looks great, plays great and feels great. We have 35 guitars.We both play and collect them and this one is a keeper. The fit and finish is top notch. Played it through an old Vox tube amp and the tone is over the top. Sound is very clear and very pleasant to hear. Do I have tell more and more about the sound? Get in touch with this amazing product and then you'll see what I am trying to tell you here. These guitars are the best in the world and you will get great sound with or without a amp. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: My initial impression is that it is a super looking guitar and plays really well seeing that it has been travelling all the way from America over the past week or so. I think that the presentation is first class and really appreciate the little extra touches of the T-shirt and the photograph of your father with the guitar, certificate, extra strings, etc. I would like to thank you for your courtesy and personal touch during the purchase of the guitar and I am sure I will have many happy hours playing the ZAD50. Very Best Regards and I wish you all the success for the future. // 10

Overall Impression: Just want to let you know I received the ZAD50M. The guitar is a wonderful instrument just as all the reviews state. The tone and ease of playing is as you described. I am very pleased with the purchase of this fine guitar. I will certainly recommend to all the guitarist I know to check your instruments out. Also I want to thank you for the great pictures and tee shirt that came along with the guitar. Your company is a class act and it was a pleasure doing business with you folks. I enjoy it, as well, when guitarists I know - who swear by their Martin, Guild, Gibson, or Takamine guitars - have a chance to examine and play my Zager for even a few minutes. Almost universally, their first response (after playing) is, "You paid how much for this guitar?" I've taken to carrying a copy of the sales-receipt (folded, stuffed in that compartment in the car case) as proof of what I paid, since they just can't believe that a guitar can look and sound this good, unless you pay thousands of dollars for it! // 10

More Zager reviews rating category latest review
+ 4/5 Parlor Size 9.8 Acoustic Guitars 07/14/2014