BA115 Review

manufacturer: Ampeg date: 09/05/2012 category: Bass Amplifiers
Ampeg: BA115
When you need a portable rig with legendary Ampeg tone, look no further than the BA115. This powerful combo features a 100-Watt power section and a single 15" Ampeg speaker that can rock a small- to medium-sized venue. Just plug in and you're ready to rock!
 Reliability & Durability: 7.7
 Features: 7.5
 7.5
 7.4
 7.5
reviews (6) pictures (1) 15 comments vote for this gear:
BA115 Reviewed by: IndianRockStar, on august 17, 2007

Sound: I use a Schecter bass with this amp and between the two I get lots of great tones. I play all music and this sounds for all music. The big problem is that this hisses like none other with the treble all the way up, but I never have it up all the way so it's not too big a problem. DO be aware of it though. I typically use it with all the knobs between 3 and 6 and I get a lovely sound, kinda punchy, but still somewhat mellow. This amp, if you want it to make distortion, won't work for you. This thing makes NO distortion and high volumes, it actually surprised me. The only noise it makes is the beforementioned hiss. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp is built pretty well. The only problem with the amp in this category is that the outside cover is crap. It tears up pretty easy, but it doesn't affect sound so it's not too big a problem. This amp has never given me any trouble besides that, which is purely cosmetic, and others seem to think it looks badass. I would have no qualms about gigging with this without a backup. it's an Ampeg, and it is well built. // 9

Overall Impression: As said before, I play all kinds of music and this amp is a great match for all kinds of music. I have been playing for about a year and my other amp is a 10 watt Drive amp which hurts my ears a bit to use. This amp had no nasty surprises for me, so I would buy it again if it was stolen. The only problem that I have found with this combo is the slight hiss I've discussed. I love how the EQ on this monster lets you change your tone dramatically, and this is my favorite feature. The style selector on this however, I find to be a waste of money. It pretty much makes your bass sound more guitar-like, which is what you don't want. I was comparing it to some GKs and Ashdowns, and I went with the Ampeg because of the name, and I must say people praise Ampeg with good reason. Plain and simple, this amp rocks! // 8

BA115 Reviewed by: Freunleven, on april 21, 2008

Sound: We played through this amp with a 1984 Kramer, an OLP MM3, and a couple of Ibanez 4-strings - one with passive, one with active pickups. The sound was decent, albeit remarkably quiet for a 100w. The deal-breaker, however, was the horrible, incessant 60Hz noise. It was causing the snare to resonate, and even made the guitar strings hum a bit. It was so incredibly maddening that we took it back to the store within a week. The sales associate told us that the noise is normal in an Ampeg combo, and that a 60Hz hum is actually desirable in an amp. I call "bull." // 2

Reliability & Durability: Well, it did survive a car ride home, about six hours of playing, and a car ride home. I can't say I'd ever want to play out with this steamer, though. I honestly don't know how anyone can find that sort of background noise desirable, and I have to seriously question the intelligence of the salesman Who talked the bassist into picking it up. // 4

Overall Impression: I suppose that $300USD for a 100w Ampeg sounds like a good deal, until you have to deal with that annoying, buzzing, humming sound. I can't say I'm ever going to look at a BA115 ever again, and I don't think I'll regret it. We returned the amp, and bought a Behringer Ultrabass BXR1800H Bass head to go with my spare 2x15 cabinet at home. No remorse, no regrets. // 3

BA115 Reviewed by: djflats, on march 21, 2008

Sound: I usually play a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz through it. Between the controls on the amp and bass I get pretty much any sound I want for the different styles of music I play. There is a hiss that comes from the piezo tweeter but it doesn't really bother me, some others have complained about it in other reviews though. Sometimes if I turn all of the settings off and the bass off then turn everything back on the hiss seems to disappear or at least calms down. One other thing I would like is to be able to jack an external cab into it so I could use the big 15" speaker with a 2x10 cab. I haven't had any problems with distortion. The amp itself sounds good but the windows of the house may rattle. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've had the BA-115 for over a year now and use it just about everyday and I have had no problems. It's been very dependable so far. There wouldn't be a reason to have a back up for it while gigging as it has been pretty reliable for me. The amp is a little heavy for a combo but it has a big 15" in it plus the cabinet is built larger in order to "kick" it back, well tilt it back. // 10

Overall Impression: Music I play: rock, classic rock, alt rock, southern rock, country. I used to play years ago but I stopped for 25 years. I just started playing about 14-15 months ago. The gear has changed a lot from the stuff I used to have. I usually play a Fender Geddy through the amp but also a Standard Jazz too. I've played a few Ibanez "actives" through it too and the amp did well with the actives. It has a separate input for active basses. If someone took it I'd be p*ssed, first because some worthless piece of crap stole it and second because I like the amp. Anyway I'd get another one or jump up to the 220 watt 2x10. // 9

BA115 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 19, 2008

Purchased from: Musicians FriendI

Sound: I use my 2004 Fender P-Bass Deluxe Special with my BA-115, and it's a great setup. I flick all my guitar controls to full and set the amps tone Switch to "2" and get a sweet punk growl out of my rig. My only real problem with this amp is that after turning the volume past 1/3rd the speaker can rattle a bit, depending on how high you have the bass turned up. Other than that, the speaker has lots of punch and power, and sounds as powerful as an Ampeg should. I bought an Ampeg for that signature Ampeg sound, and I sure wasn't dissappointed. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've had this amp for about 6 months now, and it's still perfect. No rattles (besides the aforementioned one) have emerged. It's powerful enough to do small gigs & practices with, my roomates claim it's powerful enough to take the house down! Never had a problem, solid as steel. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this thing, and I love the price. I love the fact it has that great Ampeg tone and that signature Ampeg style. Coupled with the right gear, you can trash some serious sound with this thing. The BA-115 is my first bass amp, and I'm glad I shelled out the cash to get it, totally worth it. Near perfect. // 10

BA115 Reviewed by: american eulogy, on november 09, 2011

Sound: I use this amp with my Ibanez SR405QM, which has stock Ibanez CAP EXF-N2 humbuckers. It definitely suits my style, which includes metal and jazz played both finger style and pick. The only time its noisy is when the treble is turned up past about 7. It can make a variety of sounds from classical to deep metal. There is no distortion. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I can definitely depend on this amp. I'd definitely use it without a backup, even if I had more than 1 amp to use. Its never broken down, and is extremely solid. // 8

Overall Impression: I mostly play metal, but am starting to get into jazz. This amp is a great match for both. I've been playing bass for 2 years and I own an Ibanez SR405QM, GSR200, and a DigiTech BP90. I would definitely get another one if I lost this one. I love that its a good, solid, loud amp. I wish it had an Overdriven channel. I also really like the -15dB input, because it is very useful for practicing at home or places where loud volume isn't appreciated. // 9

BA115 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 05, 2012

Sound: It has the same hissing noise as others have noted in reviews I've read. Not too bad but it is there. I do like the 5 position switch that acts as an instant EQ... I have a nice Ibanez bass guitar that sounds really good through this amp. The amp doesn't seem to distort at higher volumes and that's what bothers me about it. It isn't very loud when cranked up. At least not what I expect from a 100 watt Ampeg. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I bought it used so I'm not sure about durability but it is an Ampeg so... I don't gig any more so it will be used mostly for recording and the occasional basement jam session. I will keep my old Peavey around just in case this Ampeg decides to act up... Although I don't expect it to. // 5

Overall Impression: I play mostly rock stuff... Beatles, Stones and the like. Been playing for 45 years or so and have had all kinds of amps over the years. If it were stolen or lost I wouldn't buy another without trying different amps first. I chose the Ampeg because of the name. They have always made quality products and I guess this is one. Just not enough volume for me. // 5

More Ampeg reviews rating category latest review
+ GVT52-112 8.8 Guitar Amplifiers 09/02/2013