SVT-2PRO Review

manufacturer: Ampeg date: 07/10/2006 category: Bass Amplifiers
Ampeg: SVT-2PRO
The SVT-2PRO is an SVT output section delivering 300 watts of all-tube power, with a modern preamp, 9-band graphic EQ, all in a rack mount format. The SVT-2PRO is for the player that wants SVT tone and performance with modern enhancements in a safe, rackable design.
 6.7
 7.3
 6.1
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
SVT-2PRO Reviewed by: 94 hours, on july 10, 2006

Sound: I use anything from my stingray 5 to a Gibson EB-3, as well as the occasional Galveston 8 string and Ibanez acoustic bass. All my basses are rigged with the factory pickups. There is a large difference in sound between all these guitars but with this amp I can make them all sound exactly how I want them too. I use the stingray for hardcore, the Gibson ('68 model) for bluesy stuff, and both the galveston and Ibanez at my church for praise and wirship along with the stingray. This amp can easily Switch between all these styles, especially with the EQ and hi/low controls. with the push of a button I can move from one style to the next without changing the main preamp settings. One more thing in my rig that is very handy is my Boss GT-6B effects proccesor. With this I like to use many different effects and have never had any trouble with anything other than distortion, wich I fing to be shrill and piercing. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This amp has only had one problem in the durability and that is the fuse. I put all my equipment through constant abuse but not enough for the fuse to have blown twice as it has. I also own a ender hot rod deluxe guitar amp wich I put through much abuse as well and the fuse has never blown. as far as this goes I expected much more from Ampeg. Keep in mind though mine is a model from the '80s and for it to have lasted this long and still be going I will still give it a high score for durability seeing as the fuse is only a minor detail. // 8

Overall Impression: I play anything from hardcore to praise and worship to the occasional slap on this amp and along with the rest of my rig I could not be hapier with the sound. I have pleyed bass for around 4 maybe 5 years now and consider myself to be an intermediate player, this along with the fact that I play at least two shos a week between my harcore band and my church I am glad to know that this amp will last through the show. One thing I never like was the volume level. this amp still gets plenty of volume for all my shows but it is not as loud as my Gallien Krueger 700 watt solid state head. I expected a 300 watt tube head to beat the GK out on volume by a long shot but it does not. As far as getting another if mine were lost or stolen I dont think I could afford it because they retail for around 1500-USD. But I would definitely do all that I could in my power to get it back. This is one serious rig I recomment checking out. One last thing, I'm no Afi fan but I hear their bassist uses these heads so if you want sound clips just check them out. // 7

More Ampeg reviews rating category latest review
+ GVT52-112 8.8 Guitar Amplifiers 09/02/2013