SVT-450H Review

manufacturer: Ampeg date: 08/20/2008 category: Bass Amplifiers
Ampeg: SVT-450H
In the world of high performance bass amps, the Ampeg SVT-450H gives you more power, performance and flexibility than any other bass amp in its class. And if we didn't tell you, you'd swear the SVT-450H was a tube amplifier.
 6.2
 8.3
reviews (2) 5 comments vote for this gear:
SVT-450H Reviewed by: Kizashmir, on july 22, 2008

Sound: I play a Fender Precision Bass with an EMG-P and a Fender Jazz Bass V with 2 EMG-J's. I am picky sometimes about my bass tone, but this amp helps me dial in the right tone for the right recording or song. This amp is not as quiet at high volumes since it has a MOSFET output, as I explained in the "Features" section. This amp can get a very gritty distortion if the gain is cranked up, but a pedal could help for the most part. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp, like every other Ampeg, is built like a tank and built to last forever. I take this thing to every show I play and I have had no problems whatsoever. A benefit of the MOSFET output is that I do not have to worry about replacing tubes so it is beneficial in many ways. // 10

Overall Impression: I play very many styles of music ranging from reggae to Slipknot-esque metal. This amp handles all of that perfectly, regardless of the cab you are driving it with. I have been playing for a good 5 years and would consider myself a tone-freak and love to build good solid tones. This amp has helped me greatly in finding my best bass tone. The on-board EQ has to be my favorite part, and I feel that it is missing nothing. I would definetly go for this head again if I lost it. // 10

SVT-450H Reviewed by: jamesr, on august 20, 2008

Purchased from: Musciansfriend.com

Sound: For reference I play a Fender American Deluxe Jazz 1995, and a 1999 American Precision. This is where this amp really disappoints. The sound is very clean, but also very transparent. It sounds like you are just playing into a power amp. I was going to buy the SVT-CL, but at 3x the price I decided to go with the 450h. But after gigging with this amp 4-5 times a month for the last two years I am disappointed with the sound. The preamp just seems to be an eq. I am probably going to upgrade to the CL or pro 6 soon. Plus it is always at half volume or more just to compete with my loud drummer. // 5

Reliability & Durability: It is built very nice, and looks like a Vintage SVT head. Like I said I play out with this head weekly at half volume and have no issues. It has been through rain, snow, beer, and being banged on door openings. It still looks new except some of the chrome corners are starting to rust. But it is 100% reliable. // 10

Overall Impression: Well as far as a gigging amp it is a reliable, good looking head. But as for tone, it will leave you lost in the mix. I wouldn't buy it again, and will probably end up selling it. I might Switch to guitar in the near future, but if I stay on bass this will be traded in on a better Ampeg. // 5

More Ampeg reviews rating category latest review
+ GVT52-112 8.8 Guitar Amplifiers 09/02/2013