SVT-III Review

manufacturer: Ampeg date: 07/12/2006 category: Bass Amplifiers
Ampeg: SVT-III
The amp was made in the early '90s using Ampegs Super Valve Technology. It runs on 3x12AX7 valves and these valves are enough to support any style of music.
 7.9
 9.3
 6.5
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
SVT-III Reviewed by: dexterholland, on july 12, 2006

Sound: I use it for rock and punk music, often very heavy. The amp works very well for these styles of music, producing a better sound than my Laney Richter head or Ashdown Mag, especially at high volumes, where (because of the S.V.T) the amp does not distort unless the pre-amp volume is turned up. This way you can keep a beefy, clean sound at gigging volumes. With the mid selectro switch, Graphic EQ and hi and lo cuts, there is a lot of variety in the sound you can make, so this amp is genuinely universal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It is a very dependable and reliable amp, as it is one of the best amps Ampeg have ever produced. I do not use it at gigs without back-up though, becuase it is a tube amp and tubes are known for dying at the most important moment. For this reason I always keep my Mag 300 sitting on top of the rack just in case, or my Laney Richter amp if it is a bigger gig.It has never broken down, as I, and the previous owner, have always replaced the tubes on a strict once a year basis, and also had it electrically tested by professionals on a once a year basis for safety reasons. // 8

Overall Impression: This is one of the best bass amps ever produced by Ampeg, and Ampeg are one of the best bass amp companies in the world -- ranking this amp amongst the world's highest. Lots of big bands are still using SVTs around the world even today, and I doubt that I will ever use an amp in it's place again, unless it dies on me, or I am looking for that vital tone that only my Laney can give me. It is ideal for both the practice room and the stadium gig, and is perfect for everyone. If it were stolen, I would hire a mecenary to get it back for me, if it were lost I would save up and probably buy and SVT-3 Pro! Everything about it is perfect, there is nothing else on this amp I would like to see (except maybe a standby switch)! // 10

More Ampeg reviews rating category latest review
+ GVT52-112 8.8 Guitar Amplifiers 09/02/2013