Electric Blue 12-180 Review

manufacturer: Ashdown date: 07/25/2008 category: Bass Amplifiers
Ashdown: Electric Blue 12-180
The EB 12-180 1 x 12" combo uses a 180 Watts RMS fan-cooled fast-transient power stage, and a fully-featured bass preamplifier with inputs for both active and passive instruments, an illumunated VU meter, 5 band EQ with Bright and Deep switches, a front panel-mounted balanced DI output for connection to a PA or recording console, an FX loop, a tuner/line output and the classic Ashdown sub-harmonic generator.
 Features: 8.5
 9.5
 9.3
 9.6
reviews (2) 5 comments vote for this gear:
Electric Blue 12-180 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 07, 2008

Purchased from: Dolphin Music

Sound: I'm using the amp with a Vintage Modified Squier Jazz bass and the sound is brilliant! You would be hard pressed to find another amp for this price which is capable of producing such a good sound. when I bought the amp a few anxieties were in my head, would the amp be loud enough to play live, should I have gone for the 15" speaker, or the MAG300? After playing this amp live I've come to the conclusion that: the EB is just loud enough for some gigs (not connected to PA). You can hear yourself on stage alongside a very loud drummer and very loud guitarist but if you want to be absolutely sure your sound is gunna be heard right to the back of the venue, go for a MAG300. Everything about this amp is amazing, but if you are at a gig where you can't connect to the PA, not many people in the audience are going to be lucky enough to hear the great sound of the amp. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Ashdown is a name you can trust. I know a few people who have Ashdowns and none of them have ever had any problems. The build quality is great, you can just tell these amps are built to cope with being moved around a lot. I used fear that the small handle on the top of the amp is going to snap but I've discovered it's stronger than it looks. I've never kicked the kick-proof grille but I'm sure it really is kick-proof. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp has most types of music covered. Jazz, blues, rock. If you want an amp which sounds brilliant, is reliable and capable of playing practices and small gigs, this is the one! If you want an amp which you can cope with big gigs, take a look at the MAGs/ABMs. // 10

Electric Blue 12-180 Reviewed by: lorrythebassguy, on july 25, 2008

Sound: I play a variety of styles including Blues, Jazz, and classic rock, but I mainly play blues & punk roack. My main basses are an Epiphone EB3 & a Fender Marcus Miller jazz. The amp suits these styles well. I can dial in a lot of bottom end for the heavier sounds with the EQ and the deep switch. You can also achieve a good high end twang, but if you turn the treb control up too much, the bass becomes "tinny", especially with an active bass. The amp can sometimes sound muddy, but with a few teaks of the EQ this can be cured. Sometime the amp sounds too sharp, so I wish it had a compressor! The amp does distort at high volumes, but if you turn the Input level down most of the distortion goes. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've lugged this amp up and down stairs, on and off stages, in and out the back off the car and it's even fallen down the stairs and the thing still works fine! It has never broken down on me so I never take a backup to gigs. The amps as solid as a rock, with plastic corners to help protect it. It has a carpet covering to protect it (from everything except cat hairs)! I'll happily give the amp a 10 for this. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly blues & rock covers/originals with two very different basses, but this amp is very flexible and still lets my dial in the tone I want. It allows me to have lots of bottom end but still keep the high end twang that I love. I've played a variety of different amps, including Laneys, Ampegs & Marshall bass amps but this is definately the best value for money. You get all the features you expect of a pro bass amp, for an affordable price! I'm glad I bought this amp because it's great for practicing and it's enough to drown out my very noisy drummer! Next I think I'm going to get an extension cab for it. If it was lost or stolen, I would most definately buy another one! My favourite feature is the Flexible EQ and the VU meter, which allows you to get rid of any clipping you might get (especially from my active bass). I recommend this for any bassist that has just started gigging regularly and needs a good, all round amp! // 9

More Ashdown reviews rating category latest review
+ Drive Plus 4.2 Bass Effects 09/03/2012