MAG 600R Head Review

manufacturer: Ashdown date: 01/10/2008 category: Bass Amplifiers
Ashdown: MAG 600R Head
Bigger brother to the MAG300 model, the MAG 600R rack-mounting amplifier head features a potent new fan-cooled 575 watts RMS power section. Rotary bass, middle and treble controls are supplemented by smaller rotary controls providing 15dB of cut and boost at 220Hz and 1.6kHz, providing a comprehensive 5 band EQ section.
 8.6
 8.2
review (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
MAG 600R Head Reviewed by: pyrobonez, on january 10, 2008

Purchased from: Rockin' Robin

Sound: It preforms amazingly at high volumes. It keeps that clean sound but has such punch. I love standing in front of it and feeling it push my leg hairs forward. It gives a good sound when I strum, slap, tap, and slide. One thing I was very impressed with was I had it at full volume and simply but my hand over the neck of my bass and the amp didn't make a peep. It was so quiet when I walked back over to it I had forgotten it was on and slapped my bass about 2 feet from the amp and nearly fell over. It's the most volume I've ever gotten out of a half stack and it still sounds amazing. Besides it delivering such a strong sound the tweeter is just great, it makes tapping sound freaking awesome. // 10

Reliability & Durability: So far I haven't had to really rely on it, I move it pretty much everyday though and so far it's been completely fine. I would play this thing without a backup without a second thought. This thing is so solid though, I wouldn't do it but I wouldn't be surprised if it could survive being dropped out of the back of a truck. It is heavy as hell though. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the most metal bass amp I've ever seen or played on. It fits my style like Michael Jackson's glove fits in a little boys pants (I was so close to no politically incorrect jokes too). This was my first bass amp, but by far the best I played with. I had been trying to find a good bass amp for about a year when I bought this one a couple of months ago. When I was looking I tried everything out, from Ampeg to Peavey. Pretty much as long as I had been playing. I couldn't really ask for anything else from this thing. It just needs a pedal if you're going to be doing anything special. I still suggest you try it out before you buy it, I read some reviews about the speaker screws being lose. Mine was fine though. In summation, if you're looking for a good, solid, maybe a little too solid, amp and head these might work. They're loud, sound great, but are very very heavy. I think for such a low price and high quality it's a great piece of equipment. I still suggest you try it out before you buy it, I read some reviews about the speaker screws being lose. Mine was fine though. // 9

More Ashdown reviews rating category latest review
+ Electric Blue 12-180 EVO II 9.3 Bass Amplifiers 09/01/2014