MAG C115-300 EVO II Review

manufacturer: Ashdown date: 11/17/2010 category: Bass Amplifiers
Ashdown: MAG C115-300 EVO II
This relatively small solid-state combo, built in 2009, packs a whopping 307 watts of power (indeed, exactly three hundred-and-seven watts)
 Reliability & Durability: 5.5
reviews (2) pictures (1) 7 comments vote for this gear:
MAG C115-300 EVO II Reviewed by: GidBass, on april 27, 2010

Price paid: € 395

Purchased from: Feedback Musicstore

Sound: Hooked up to my Schecter four-string with two massive EMG humbuckers, this beast roars! I bought an extension cab recently (the Ashdown 410T deep (about 240 euro's)) and this makes the sound very rich. It just sounds right, complete. Although you can create a lot of different sounds, I like this amp most when it's only amplifying. In my opinion, an amp should be a magnifying glass, exclusively making the input signal louder. This amp does the trick very well. I love hearing the sound my bass is actually making, not the effects in between (although those come in handy too a lot of times). I play a lot of different styles, from Megadeth to Steely Dan. This amp handles every sound perfectly. To test its noise, I tried to turn up the input level and output level to max (without actually playing the bass, that would destroy your ears instantly). Only when I turned up the higher EQ-knobs I heard little noise, which seemed to come from the pickups rather then from the amp itself. Every other noise coming from the amp would directly be subdued when playing. This amp in combination with the extension cab is perfect for any small to medium gigs. Arms-races with guitarist or agitated, aggressive drummers are easily beaten with this stack. Versatile and loud, this amp is well worth the money, compared to other amps in this price range. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Well, this thing is a tank. I'm not sure whether it would deflect bullets, but everything else you might throw at it can't hurt it. It has a heavy, solid wooden casing with little metal plates at the corners. I'm quite sure the electronics and the drivers are of good quality. The knobs are big and solid, making a very though impression. When gigging I'm not going to take any backup with me when I know I've got this beast in my backline. In the first place because it simply is reliable. In the second place because my back won't survive dragging another amp like this everywhere I go. It's heavy, but this ensures me that it won't break down easily. I've actually never heard of anyone with a broken Ashdown amp. The only thing I'm a unsure about is the front of the amp. It does not have a steal grill or something to protect the speakers. It would be a terrible loss when something punched through the carpet on the front... // 7

Overall Impression: What's more to say? This awesome old-school-looking amp definitely was the right choice for me! My guitarist got a slight disappointed look on his face when he knew I would blow his Marshall-stack away (yes, it actually can compete with the fat sound coming from an amp like that). I'm totally happy with my purchase! // 9

MAG C115-300 EVO II Reviewed by: miauwmjam, on november 17, 2010

Price paid: € 399

Sound: The bass I use is an Ibanez SR300 PW, often accompanied by my Boss bass ODB-3 Overdrive effect pedal. Together they create a massive wall of sound. All volume buttons on the three items need to tweaked and re-tweaked to keep cohesion between pitches. Which isn't hard to do at all. Although without effects I do have trouble getting my G-string heard when I'm with the band. It doesn't seem to cope with treble very well, unless it's wired to a PA. But overall the sound is loud, distinct and worth the money. Doesn't matter which kind of music you play. I myself prefer stoner/psychedelic/doom at home, but play Britpop with the band. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Despite all the words of praise spoken about Ashdown, I did manage to blow up the speaker on Bro Hymn 2,5 years after I purchased the amp. Obviously the warranty was two years. And the breakdown itself isn't noteworthy at all. No thunderous crash, the sound just quit like that. The voice coil had completely melted. Finding a replacement speaker that fit the necessary requirements for the speaker's top was rather hard, yet cheaper than buying a new amp altogether. Obviously the sound changed slightly, but I'm very content with it. At the moment of the collapse all buttons were off and on a scale of one to ten the volume knobs were at five or six. When I told the shopkeeper and my friends this, all wondered how it was possible to blow up a piece like this. I keep the broken speaker in my room as a warning sign to be even more careful with my gear than I used to be. Regretfully, the reason for the crash is still unknown. Another time I couldn't get sound come out of the amp for a week. Tried all the buttons and knobs, even changed bass, but nothing happened. Took it to the shop claiming it went silent on me, the guy tried himself and it worked instantly. Too weird. Other than that I've got no complaints. The hard wooden casing provides excellent protection and I can max the volume without any unfortunate side effects. Although it's not recommended to even test its maximum capacity at all! // 4

Overall Impression: It's three times the power as most amplifiers, but for the same amount of money! Overall, Ashdown is very reliable, so I've been told. Guess I was just unlucky. It can take on any guitar amp when it comes down to loudness. Apparently I'm better heard live than my fellow band members. However, if I were to purchase a new amp, I would try some Warwicks first. Played one a couple of times and it produced a much cleaner sound. // 7

More Ashdown reviews rating category latest review
+ Drive Plus 4.2 Bass Effects 09/03/2012