Ultrabass BX4500H Review

manufacturer: Behringer date: 06/27/2011 category: Bass Amplifiers
Behringer: Ultrabass BX4500H
The ULTRABASS BX4500H is a massive 450-Watt bass amp head with patented Dynamizer technology, boasting a switchable Ultrabass sub-harmonics processor for unbelievable low-end power and a revolutionary Shape filter for extreme sound range.
 Features: 7.7
 7.7
 7.6
 7.7
reviews (3) 16 comments vote for this gear:
Ultrabass BX4500H Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 27, 2011

Purchased from: Digital Village

Sound: First thing I noticed with this amp was low level hum so I returned it but the replacement was the same. I popped the lid off and took a good look. The internal grounding scheme on the I/p was wrong so I modified this and the amp became "silent", fantastic. I wrote to Behringer to tell them the news that the I/p stage was incorrectly wired on their BX4500H amps but they were pretty arrogant about the whole thing, whatever. Other people at this time were having the same problems and I was able to help them out, anyway... At the time I was using this amp (I still have it) I was playing plenty of hard rock and I was shocked how powerful this amp is! It really can deliver some oomph! I would say it doesn't have much character tonally but if you want sheer power and tons of deep bass this boy really does go, I'm impressed. Not that impressed with the "Ultrabass" feature though, more like a very low end fart. The shape control seems to be a variable "scoop" which has very good range of adjustment and can give a real "thick" creamy sound. It's impossible to overdrive the o/p stage of this amp due to design which works extremely well, I'll explain later. For what it costs this amp is a very powerful beast and is really very good value for money. If you want lots of thunderous bottom end this can do it, easy. Otherwise it's tonal character may be a little dull, but hey! // 6

Reliability & Durability: I used this amp for a few months because my Ashdown had blown up! This Behringer performed perfectly and impressed me with its power and really didn't get that HOT either. It's quite heavy due to the pretty large power transformer and the case seems strong enough. It didn't falter and I know people say Behringer stuff is unrelable but this amp still works perfectly to this day. The internals are well designed, particularly the power amp section which is well heat sunk with a tunnel design for the temperature controlled fan. The only down thing was the "hum" problem which I had to fix myself but I'll have to rate this amp with my personal experience. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall I'm impressed with this amp, considering the price and it really is powerful. I did test the o/p power and I do remember it produced just under 450W RMS (445W) @ 1KHz into a 4ohm resistive load at clipping (sine wave), impressive, and is more than can be said for other amps! The o/p stage is designed to limit when overdriven and it's almost impossible to make the amp clip, excellent feature. So, taking price, performance and features into account I rate this amp very well indeed, surprising. // 9

Ultrabass BX4500H Reviewed by: m_daly_123, on may 17, 2007

Sound: The sound quality is amazing especially for the price! I use my 74 Fender Musicmaster and 93 Fender P-Bass through it and with the EQ controls I can get both the funky sound, and rock sound that my band uses. I've also played with a couple metal bands using it and it handles lows extremely well, and with a little volume, will easily shake the room. I've never had any problems with distortion, even at peak levels. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This head is very durable. I've dropped it, kicked it, sat on it, and knocked it off my cab and it still works perfectly. One thing that I really like about Behringer is that they don't skimp out on materials, and you can tell by the weight (roughly 30/40 lbs). I've never taken a back-up amp to a concert b/c I've known I'll never need it. No break downs, no shorts, no problems. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this head is truly awesome. It gets me the sound I need, at the volume I need to be heard. If this head ever broke down, I'd instantly go out and by a new one. This was the first Behringer amp I ever owned, and I'll probably won't ever change. And for the price, there's no way you can beat it! // 10

Ultrabass BX4500H Reviewed by: DehumanizeR, on may 18, 2007

Purchased from: Thomann

Sound: As said I can get a pretty good sound out of it for my playing style and I use my defretted Squier P-Bass most of the time. I took all the 5 EQ-knobs and turned them to full and then just rolled them back until I found a good bassy yet able-to-cut-through vintagey sound. I can also get a nice clinky Iron Maiden sound out of it if I cut down on the mids and use the "bright" function and a fretted bass. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Behringer is not synonymus with reliability at all. The 1x15" cab I had at first died just like that when I was playing. Now the head has started to stop sounding for a few seconds at a time at high volumes. The pre-amp section is very easy to overdrive if a distortion pedal is used, even when using the active input. The construction on the head itself is really durable though, compact and heavy and has never broken. // 3

Overall Impression: This is really good for the price I must say, it's nowhere near Sunn O))), Ampeg or Orange in sound quality but for about 250 euro it's defintley woth it. Plays good with nomal tunings and downtuned and 5-strings aswell. One cosmetic thing I don't like is the fluffy-fabric cover, it's easy go get stains on it and tolex looks a lot better but that's no big deal. It's got a nice handle on one side so it's easy to lift it. // 6

More Behringer reviews rating category latest review
+ C-1 Studio Condenser Microphone 5.9 Others 08/20/2014