Ultrabass BX600 Review

manufacturer: Behringer date: 02/02/2012 category: Bass Amplifiers
Behringer: Ultrabass BX600
The Ultrabass BX600 is small enough to toss into the trunk of your sports car, but don't let that fool you. With its first-class 60-Watt RMS amp and the patent-pending Dynamizer circuitry, it's more than big enough on sound.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.3
 7.8
 7.5
reviews (4) pictures (1) 8 comments vote for this gear:
Ultrabass BX600 Reviewed by: BassBeats098, on january 03, 2005

Sound: I use a crappy Crate bass, but this amp makes it sound excellent. In my band we play 'When I Come Around' by Green Day, and I just turn up the high knob on the amp and I turn off the 'shape' effect, and it sound just like Mike Dirnt from Green Day. The amp is 60 watts, and the volume knob goes up to 12. My mom makes me turn it down when it's at 5. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I bring my amp to every gig I play and I never need a backup amp in case it breaks. My amp never broke down, and I don't think it will for a long time. The only bad thing about the amp is if you live far away from germany, because the amp is made in Germany. If you would need to get a new one, you'd have to wait the whole time for it to ship from Germany. Otherwise, its very strong. // 8

Overall Impression: I play punk/rock and this amp is very good to me. Whatever you play, if it's country, christian, heavy metal, I think this amp is good for anyone who is just starting or is a pro at bass who wants a loud, good quality amp. What I love about this amp is the loudness and the sound. What I hate about it is the weight. // 10

Ultrabass BX600 Reviewed by: Lilldjuret, on april 13, 2007

Purchased from: Musikbörsen

Sound: I use it with all of my guitars, but as this is a pure bass amp, I will focus on that instead. Well, the sound is ok, not more or less. I usually just plug my bass directly into the effects loop, so I can control my sound from the bass without having to run back and forth to the amp when practicing. Also, the volume is abit goofy, and I've never had to crank it any louder than 1/4. The sound actually doesn't get audible before pushing the volume 1/8 of the way. After that, the volume increase is excessive, push it abit further and the volume goes straight up. The amp is a tad noisy, nothing special, it's only to be expected from an amp as cheap as this. The amp is quite versatile, a jack of all trades. That being said, the sound is actually quite tinny and it's hard to get a good growl out of it, whatever you do. // 6

Reliability & Durability: It seems to be pretty reliable, but I'd never gig with it. I'd rather go borrow my teacher's amp or something. It has never broken down, but on the other hand, it has been standing in the same corner since I last moved my stuff around, and before that, it was in my fathers office where I used to practice my playing. // 7

Overall Impression: I play almost everything. Reggae, punk, rock, metal, jazz, blues. Yeah, you name it. It can do it all, but not very good. I've been playing for nearly three years, and this is one of two bass amps which I own. The other one is a small Kustom 16W. I like the sound from that one better overall, but that is mainly because it packs a neat little Celestion speaker, which is really warm. If it were stolen, I'd use my Kustom for a backup and buy myself something bigger later. I hate the shape control. It really just muds up the sound if you turn it to the right and it goes thinner and more trebly if you push it further to the left. Never really found any use for this in the two almost two years it has served me. // 6

Ultrabass BX600 Reviewed by: bassgoblin77, on january 11, 2012

Purchased from: guitar center

Sound: I play rock, metal death metal, and punk and I can make this amp fit all of those genres. I use a Ibanez bass with active pickups and I go through the active input in the amp and it sounds great. The amp has a wide range of playing capabilities from funk to playing chords clearly too distorted death metal. I have played in shows with two guitar players a drummer and vocals and it plays right through them. I would keep the volume knob at about 7 or 8 just to keep it clear but if you turn it up it works just fine its just bad for the amp. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have heard quite a bit from my dad about this brand of amp and they have all failed on him after a moderate period of time. Then again those where all guitar amps so the bass amps may be different. I have used this amp for gigs and it does great and I have hooked up one other amp while in a gig and that works well to. The amp is way too heavy and is frustrating to take back and forth to practice. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall this is a great cheep amp to play in gigs and to practice with. Again this amp sounds great with any playing style. My only problem with the amp is the weight. Other than that perfect 12in. Speaker bass amp. I am going to be playing in a high school gym and I will be using just that amp and I have full confidence that it will do just fine. // 9

Ultrabass BX600 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 02, 2012

Sound: I use my active Cort B4 with active EQ turned on. I play pick and this gives some nice attack to it. I tried finger-style but it failed (with me together). So, if you want some like Eleffson or DD Verni sound, you could try. Ok, that's enough about the sound. The thing you should know is the power of it. It says 60w but for 60 this is sooooo f*cking loud! I play with drummer and 2-3 guitarists in about 6x4m room and this kicks ass! Those 2-3 idiots always argue they do not hear themselves, but drummer loves me (I love all of them). BUT! There is one thing you should know! If volume is from 7 to 10 (excluding) o'clock, it plays the same, like virgin (even headphones can do more volume). From 10 to full (5) o'clock the volume is the same, Mega loud. I usually play 12 o'clock. When idiots argue, I turn it to 10 o'clock and say: "You see? Now I am not so loud!", and I am the same loud as on 12 o'clock. In it's megaloud area (10-5) it is distorted, not bad for metal but for jazz I would kick it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I would never use it on the gig without a backup. Even not with. I would use it AS backup. I don't think this will last for long. Behringer is well known for it's weak coils in speakers... // 7

Overall Impression: I don't want to answer the same questions again (What style of music do you play? Is this a good match?). If stolen, I would tell owner not to buy it again. What I love about it is the look and volume. Tone is not perfect, but this is really not amp where you should look for your sound. I think it's good for rehearsal, but for the money, you can buy something way better... // 8

More Behringer reviews rating category latest review
+ X V-AMP 7.1 Guitar Effects 12/19/2014