BT100 Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 11/29/2006 category: Bass Amplifiers
Crate: BT100
The Crate BT100 features rugged Ozite covering, heavy-duty steel grille and road rugged handle. Plus, two channel operation for clean/distortion, sub-octave effect and built in chromatic tuner w/mute. 100 watts, Crate 15" speaker, headphone jack, CD input, limiter, XLR balanced line out. Includes footswitch. Built to rock!
 Features: 8.3
 7.2
 7.7
 6.6
reviews (3) 16 comments vote for this gear:
BT100 Reviewed by: Tanman_88, on february 18, 2006

Sound: I use a Barracuda Bass, it's a crapy attempt at a Fender J. Because my bass is a bad bass, I can't get a decent tone out of the amp for things like slapping, but the the amp is definitley good for funk, blues, rock, or anything. It's really nice when it works. The distortion is far too nasty to do any real music with. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It's far too heavy. 100lbs I believe. I absolutely swear against any purchasing of this amp, as it has caused me nothing but trouble (God bless warranty). I'm extremely careful with it, and the damn thing breaks down like every week, and then I'm stuck in the bind, as an unreliable bassist. I definitley need a backup. As for structural durability, I think you could probably set a car on top of it, and it would hold it up. However, functionally, the amp is humungously unreliable. Do not buy. // 1

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 5 years now. I've been through 3 Bass amps, and this is the worst one yet. My first was my TNT100 by Peavey. The sound was horrible, but it never died until ironically, it blew on the song "TNT" with that hard E. I also own a Peavey practice amp, which is an awesome little amp. The Crate however, is a cumbersome piece of crap, with incredible sound. It reminds me of my old girlfriend. Great to play with, heavy, but very unreliable. Sounds great, runs like crap. I wish it had wheels, and a small motor to drive itself places. // 5

BT100 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 05, 2006

Sound: I am using a Schecter CV-4 bass, with active duncan designed pickups (cheaper seymour duncans but still amde by Seymour Duncan)and with this bass and I couldnt be happier with the clean channel. I play mostly classic rock, some metal, and alittl blues here and there. I also do a lot of slap which is why I got the active pickups in my bass. The amp is obnly noisy when I have it on volumes above 7 and I have the single coil pickup in the neck position selected. Other then that the noise gate in the amp takes care of the extra noise fromt he pickups very well. If you are going to buy this amp, buy it for the clean channel. The clean channel is great, the most versatile amp I've had or played on yet. It gives you a very punch tone when needed for rock or metal, and a high output for slapping and a great funk when playing funk. If you are looking for an amp only for the distortion, do not buy this one. The distortion channel isnt good at all. The distortion channel isnt very versatile. To get a decent sound out of the distortion you have to mess all fo your clean channel sets up which makes it hard to switch back and forth. Also, no matter what you do there is always a liquidy sound to the distorion channel. No matter how you ajust the gain, shape, highs, mids, lows it will alwasy be there. So if you by this amp buy it for the great solid state clean tone it gives you. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp has worked great for me ever since I've gotten it. I've had it for about 6 months and I've never had a problem with ti breaking down. I would deffinitly use this amp without a back up in a gig. Since it is solid state it don't have to servicing anything on a regular basis. The shell is sold enough where you could probably through this down the stairs, or fall out of a car/truck and it would still be ready to play with no problem. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is just about perfect for the style of music I play. The only thing I regret about this amp is the distortion chennel. I dont use distortion alot but when I do I wish it was better, but I'll just go out and get a cheap Boss distortion pedal if it bothers me enough. I've been playing for about 2 years now and my gear includes a Schecter CV-4 bass, BP80 multi effects pedal, and the BT100 amp. I am very happy with the set up I have now, except I wish I had a better effects processer, and this amp just completed my setup until I'm ready for a halfstack or a tube amp. If this amp were stolen I probably would buy it again or just upgrade to a tube amp. I compared this amp to a couple of beringer amps, and a 160 watt workingmans amp. The berginger amps I played on for 2 minutes a relized why there price was so low. The workingmans amp had a great sound to it just as good or better the the BT100 but it was out of my price range. The BT100 is deffinitly the best amp you could get for $350. // 9

BT100 Reviewed by: Shmef, on november 29, 2006

Sound: The sound on this amp is very good, but can lack power under certain settings. The Noisegate fearture is nice, it keeps from any feedback, but when played through with a guitar, it tends to kill sustain. I know it is not a guitar amp, but it can be used such on clean and octive. The distortion works, just not for shredding and such. It is silent in all environments, and it delivers anything from low dull root note basslines to trebly slap. It is very flexible to different styles. I play an Ibanez GSR200 through it, with only stock pick-ups, and it still delivers. I tend to roll with any rock, mainly from the 60's and 70's, but some of the newer stuff(Flogging Molly, Raconteurs, Greenhornes, ect.) work. The distortion is not mind blistering, but is a decent amount. I perfer to have more of that 70's King Crimson fuzz to it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It is very solid. The plywood makes it very light for it's size, but has yet to break on me. It delivers, all the parts are solid, and have never failed so far. The jacks ahve never come loose, the knobs are all in top-shape, the LED's all work, it is just a solid amp. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a variety, from rock to funk to folk to avant garde, and it plays amazingly in all of them. If it were stolen, I would hunt the man down, kill him, and then buy another one for insurance. It beat the hell out of the Line 6 I was looking at, because it was much more powerful, and the knobs were not nearly as cheesey. It has served me well, and continues to do so. My favourite part about it is the flexiblity of the sound, but my least favourite would be when it lacks some power at certain points. // 9

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BX15 5.5 Bass Amplifiers 06/17/2014