BX15 Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 06/17/2014 category: Bass Amplifiers
Crate: BX15
Features a Crate 8" speaker, and 12+ watts RMS. BX15 includes four band EQ, limiter, and headphone jack. The perfect 1st bass amp, home practice or home studio amp. Tube tone, reliability and value.
 Ease of Use: 9
 5.5
 6.9
reviews (2) pictures (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
BX15 Reviewed by: StepsAscending8, on march 26, 2004

Purchased from: Jensen's Guitar

Sound: The clean channel is a little raspy and gritty but im pounding too hard on my bass to notice that much. The noisiness does badly affect harmonics and pops on my bass though. They sound horrible. // 4

Reliability & Durability: As I said, my amp has a huge hole in the front of it and it works like it did when I bought it. Since this is just my practice amp, it's done fine. No break downs or major problems. // 8

Overall Impression: This amp is a fine practice amp and I prefer practicing on the full 15 watts then on my 100W combo. I wish it had an overdrive option to it, that would sound awesome on a bass. Overall good practice amp. // 8

BX15 Reviewed by: the glue man, on june 17, 2014

Ease of Use: A very straight forward and reliable amp that is great for beginners or in very quiet environments. I bought it used along with a bass guitar so it came with no manual. I'm a reverb addict (it doesn't have reverb) so I believe it would sound good with a single pedal, and adding more may start to get fuzzy and incomprehensible (it's only 15 watts). I don't know what else to sum this up. I really don't care for other Crate products, I find them flat and bland. I guess this amp is that way, but that's acceptable for basic practice. // 9

Sound: This amp is my dining room chair. I never use it but I keep it around in case I really need a quiet electric guitar or bass. It's what you would expect for a cheap practice amp and it certainly gets sound out of the amp. Gets raspy when it gets higher with a bass, and has decent clean guitar sounds. I play all sorts of music, but a lot of chords and reggae doodly wops and widdly dees. This amp is the most basic you can get, and the bass, equalizers are all noticeable. It's quite flat sounding, but would probably do okay with a reverb pedal. The equalizer knobs include gain, low, low mid, high mid, high. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This amp is definitely not for live performances, this amp is only for home and bedroom practice,perhaps with another guitar or small percussion. I've had this amp for several years and it has been through some poop. Moving, being sat on, used as a table, iPod speaker, PA system, etc. It still looks brand new. It has a top handle that seems to be healthy and not becoming detached, and there has been no problems with the inputs coming loose or malfunctioning. The power cable is about 2 feet long and has never had any issues. // 8

Overall Impression: I have been playing the guitar 10 years and I keep this Crate around because it's useful and I occasionally play the bass. I probably wouldn't be able to sell it for much if I wanted to, so I feel that I might as well keep it. Perhaps give it to another prospective bass/guitar player in the future as a gift or something like that. If it were stolen, I would be disappointed, but seeing as how I never use it, it wouldn't be a big deal. I play in a full band and generally practice at home with a 75W Line 6 II, and an Orange stack with the full band. // 6

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BFX100 8.8 Bass Amplifiers 05/05/2014