M-80 Bass Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 04/09/2012 category: Bass Amplifiers
Fender: M-80 Bass
This amp has only the necessary features, nothing fancy, but serves you well for solo practice, jams, and I imagine for small venues. Overall, a killer amp.
 8.5
review (1) pictures (2) 1 comment vote for this gear:
M-80 Bass Reviewed by: Sudaka, on april 09, 2012

Sound: I use this amp with a Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz Bass, and with a Warwick-like luthier made fiver. I have to say, this amp can get versatile depending on the bass you put in front of it. The good thing is that it has a very good tone overall, can get punchy, can get funky, can get clancky, etc. I tried a lot of combos before buying this amp (Stagg, Laney, Rocktron, Hiwatt, Hartke, Ampeg, Fender Rumble, Fender BXR...) and this is the best I could afford. The good thing is that this amps usually gives more wattage and larger speaker than other amps in its price range, and also sounds better, in my opinion, so check this out if you can. This one sounds clean even when maxed (though the limiter starts working...) and has a good tone for slap too. It gives a little buzzing when the volume is high, but when you pluck a string, it disappears. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well, this amp is like 20 years old and has no issues so far. It works perfectly, so I think you can really depend on it. Nothing has broken so there's really not much more to say. Definitely gets a ten. // 10

Overall Impression: What can I say, I am really happy with it. It's only downside might be it's weight, but I found out that it is much more transportable if you hug it, rather than if you use the top handle. I've been playing funky grooves, jazz, classical music, some maiden stuff, and this amp gave me nice tones for everything. I think it's loudness is a good factor to keep in mind if you need a good, cheap, band-loud amp. I'm still a beginner, been playing for 5 months, but I'm learning, and I think this amp is really good for the price. I'd buy it again if possible, if it was stolen, or upgrade to head and cab, maybe, but if in a budget, I think this is the best choice. I just hate it's weight, but after all, it's a 15" speaker combo, so it has to be heavy. I'd like the compressor to be adjustable (I mean, a knob for it), nad maybe treble, hi mid, lo mid, and bass EQs... But those are my only complaints. Overall, a killer amp. // 9

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Jaguar HH Special 8.2 Electric Guitars 11/12/2014