Rumble 100 Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 09/13/2010 category: Bass Amplifiers
Fender: Rumble 100
This Papa kicks out 100 watts of power through a Fender Special Design 15 speaker and horn producing more boom for the buck than any other combo.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.6
 Features: 9.1
 8.6
 8.9
 8.2
reviews (13) 14 comments vote for this gear:
Rumble 100 Reviewed by: sebhaque, on may 05, 2006

Sound: I use a Vintage Metal Axxe and a Fender Precision bass through this amp. The Precision's a passive, and the Axxe is an active bass. I don't play slap very often (but I can, and the amp sounds great for pure slap and pop). I've got a hellova lot of tones out of this amp, although when I first got this amp I was frustrated how I'd piddle around with the EQ for hours and only end up with a mock replica of Iron Maiden's 'machinegun' tone. However, now I've got to know my low mids from high mids and familiarised myself with this amp, it's holding up well. I've got different tones out of this, but they're not as diverse as one'd expect - plenty enough for your average bassist though. I even tried playing my guitar (Epiphone Explorer Gothic) through this, and while it doesn't sound great, it certainly doesn't sound horrible. Once I'd plugged my Boss RP200 into the FX loop, it sounded quite good, even though everything was still set to bass settings. Volume. The amp's loud enough for nearly any task (it could probably eat up your average gig, but for larger ones you may want some more power), and even at the highest volume only the most minimal distortion can be heard. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp's really hardy. I was transporting it in the back of a van when my buddy's practice 15-watt amp fell off the top shelf after a particularly nasty bump in the road, the Rumble simply suffered a small crack in one of the plastic corners, whereas the other amp (I won't name and shame) suffered a massive gash running down its body. Needless to say, it didn't work afterwards. As for sound, I've had this amp for the best part of 6 months and it hasn't broken down on me once. The only problem I had with it was that its EQ sometimes took a few seconds to respond, but the problem's seemed to iron itself out now. I always have a backup amp at a gig, but I think this amp could hold its own without another amp in stock. However, as someone else said, the EQ knobs feel a bit weak. They certainly do their job well and haven't broken off yet, but I have a feeling that after another year or so, I'll be complaining about how something's fallen off. // 7

Overall Impression: I'm primarily a bassist in a metal band, but I've covered for someone in a punk band before with this amp and it fit perfectly, even though their bassist assured me I'd need his amp (which was a 200W). I've been a bassist for about a year and a half now, but I've been playing guitar for about two years, and I have a half-stack for that. Back to the Rumble, I don't think there's anything which surprised me about the amp, I'd researched it quite thoroughly before buying it. If someone stole this amp, I'd definetely buy it again, but not without trying to recover my current one and mutilating the thief while I was at it. The only gripe I really have about this amp are the plastic input jacks, but at this price it's pretty much inevitable. Those 6 little pulsating LEDs really make up for it though, I've seen a clip of my band rehearsing in dark light and the pulsing reds really stand out and look good. I was comparing this amp to a Peavey Max 115 and a Laney HCM160B, and I even placed an order for the Peavey, but then decided I'd rather have the lights in place of the HyperVent (and the Rumble's 100 Watts over the Max's 60), and switched orders. Being a Fender, I don't really expect it to go wrong at all, except for the knob issues I mentioned earlier. Nonetheless, it's a great amp, and I highly recommend it to anybody looking for a cheap but sound amp. // 9

Rumble 100 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 09, 2004

Sound: I use a Fender Aerodine Jazz Bass with single coil jazz pick ups. This isn't very good because with high ends, the pick ups tend to buzz. Also if near lights, computer screens, pretty much anyhting hta tlets off radiation in the form of EMF it will buzz. Great variety of sounds. This amp works well with distortion pedals, but prefer a clean tone. It's great for just about any style you would want to play. No distortion built in though. // 10

Reliability & Durability: No real problems with this baby. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a wide variety of music (rock, blues, jazz, punk) and this amp really delivers. I've played bass for three years, guitar for six, and cello for four, I have a broad spectrum of play. The only real complaint I have about this amp is its friggen heavy! Good thing my drummer is strong and carries it for me! But then again, I'm a dainty weakling. Guess most bass players aren't girls, so they expect the players should be able to carry their own amps. // 10

Rumble 100 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 08, 2005

Purchased from: Music Force

Sound: Of course for outside big gigs the lack of power may present a problem but I'll leave that to the sound man. Personally I like it and I won't be getting rid of it as it has become very useful, even if I decide to go bigger this baby stays with me. I use all my Bass's through it the main axe of choice is my Alembic Epic 5 String but use a fretless Carvin LB70F, a 1976 Fender Precision and a 1978 Fender Jazz with active EMG's. All of which cover just about every bass sound you could ever ask for, the Rumble 100, produces clear, quality sounds for every occasion. No noises or unwanted humms, pops or crackles. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It has never failed or indicated that it might. I don't want to have to think about carrying a backup to gigs and sessions. I need one amp. For one job, "getting my sound out properly." If I had wanted a bigger sound I would have spent three times the money, and got better medical insurance, a back brace or maybe two more roadies. // 10

Overall Impression: It's working great for me right now. Will I change it? I won't sell it as it has too many uses, will I buy something else?. Yes. The day when I will need more power and headroom isn't too far away. I think I've said it all. Begginer or even gigging pro, there's a space for the Rumble 100 in your arsenal. // 10

Rumble 100 Reviewed by: callingknopfler, on march 02, 2005

Sound: I use a standard Fender P-Bass with standard pickups. I'll have to say it suits my playing style 'cause I can't play slap bass yet. It can get very loud but it does not distort on loud settings (it's a real endurance amp). It can only make one particular type of sound but of course there is the cahngeable EQ (bass, treble, low mid and high mid). Like I said before there is no distortion it's a bass amp. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it for volume I wouldn't need a support amp for it. The only grumble I have with it is that the EQ knobs are pathetic. The treble has snapped off and so the only way to make it bright is to use the high mid. when I went to a shop they said they would contact Fender which they did and Fender4 said that they would not create spare parts 'cause they were too embarassed at how many people were complaining over the problem. // 4

Overall Impression: The amp overall is good I don't think I'll change it for a while unless of course I go to bigger pastures! // 10

Rumble 100 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 27, 2005

Sound: I just use a Fender Squire P-Bass with whatever kind of pickups it came with. It suits my music style (punk, pop-punk, and emo) very well and I'm sure I could do almost any music style you wanted it to. It's loud but best played with the tone turned up almost all the way, don't turn it all the way up with any amp you get because it could blowout if you always play on max. It can make a very wide veriety of sounds. I doesn't distort that much at all, only I you go to loud, so if your aiming for destortoin get a pedal (phaser pedals sound awesome on it). // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can definitly depend on this freakin sweet amp. I go to play in a church band every sunday and I have never needed a backup amp. I've never broken it and plan on keeping it that way. // 10

Overall Impression: I like punk, pop punk, and emo. its a really good match. I've been playing for a little over a year. I also have a Fender acoustic and another Fener amp (Frontman 15 B, don't get it), and a few other accessories. I had everything I needed when I bought it. I would probably get it again if it got stolen or lost because it is a awesome amp. I like the red lights on the bottom. I don't hate anything it has on it. I did compare it to a few others but this 1 had the red lights and was the most affordable for its wattage and good brand name. I love this amp and I cant really think of anything else I wish it had except more watts because you can nvr have enough watts. // 10

Rumble 100 Reviewed by: Greenday389, on november 20, 2006

Sound: I am currently using a Squier Affintiy P-Bass through this amp. This setup works good for my style of music(classic rock and metal). This amp isn't noisy (probobly if you turn it up a lot but then you can't hear it anyways). This amp is pretty versitile. You can get the low beat, the muddy waters, the high mid clanking, and that nice scooped mid funk sound. I'm pretty sure this amp would get distorted at 3/4 up if not a at 2/3 up. With my experience with the Rumble 15 I bet the distortion is probobly that ugle broken up shattered kinda of distortion. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'd totaly depend on this. It has the power, the sound, and the duribility I'd probobly want. I'd use it without a backup for sure. Plus if I could afford a backup I'd probobly get a nice head with a 4x10 cab and a 1x15 cab. This amp hasn't broken down yet. It has a metal grill which in pretty durible. I'll never neglect this thing so I don't have to worry about that. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock and metal. This is deffinatly a good match with all of it's power. I've been playing for a year and a half. I own a Squier Affinity P-bass and a Fender Rumble 15. If this was stolen I'd kill the person you did! I'd probobly then get a head and cab since and upgrade always cheers me up. I love how it is so reliable and versitile with all it's brutle power. My favorite feature is probobly the red light on the bottom. It is totally cool. I've compared it to the Rumble 60. I chose this one because it had so many features and had asome power ect. I wish it could carry it's self, because god it's heavy. They say it's 60 lbs. and I'm not that strong. // 10

Rumble 100 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 08, 2007

Sound: This amp kicks out a lot of low end from the single 15 and will deffinately rumble in a living room or basement. This is a great practice amp and can perform with a small ensamble. I tried to keep up with a drummer and guitar on a 50 watt Marshall half stack, playing rock and I had to turn it almost all the way up. I struggled to hear myself in a small room with these musicians. It might have worked if we could have utilized the XLR out into a PA. I don't recommend this amp in this type of setting. The amp distorts at about 9 on the master vol. You'll get a low rumble from this baby but it won't "growl" like a higher end amp. The horn in this amp is very noisy, especialy with an instrument with active pickups. If your near something like a ceiling fan it's even worse. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This amp has been very reliable for the 3 years that I've owned it. I never had to worry about it or any of it's features working. Very solid rig. Built tough and takes a beating. Solid metal speaker grill keeps that massive 15 safe. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is a great starter amp. It's features allow it to aspire to more than many comparably priced amps. Not recommended for performances unless you can use the line out to the PA or mic it. It's perfect for at home practice or jamming with others as long as they don't get too loud. I've owned it and pushed it for 3 years and I'm not sorry that I bought it. I've moved up to an Ampeg 450 watt to keep up with louder band mates, but I won't let go of my Fender Rumble. This is my main "home alone" practice amp to this day. I do wish Fender would have included side carry handles as the top carry strap is a bit awkward. At $350. it's a great deal and a great amp. // 8

Rumble 100 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 18, 2008

Sound: Right now I'm playing an Ibanez Soundgear Gio GSR 200, stock pickups. The sound is amazing for what I have. My uncle, Who owns a Schecter Stilletto Elite 4 (EMG HZ pickups), has plugged his bass in, and the sound was phenomenal. Like I said before, it's really versatile when it comes to what genre you want to play; you just need to toggle the settings a wee bit. If you have the treble settings up too high, you might get a buzz out of the amp because of the high freq. of the treble setting. I have a Metal Muff w/ Top Boost, and a Dunlop Crybaby Classic Wah Wah. THe distorion on it is pretty br00tul, haha. I like the sound out of it, if that's what the question is. Like the features, this amp has an amazing sound. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would definitely use this amp at a gig without a backup, It's very dependable. THe amp has never broken down, and I hope will never break down. I try to be very careful with it when I transport it, but I know if I bump it on something, say a wall, it'll be fine.It's a solid state, so the tube service isn't needed. I would definitely recomend it to a friend, and I already have in the past. // 10

Overall Impression: I play, like I've said above, anything I like to listen to. It's versatile as well as dependable, and just a down-right amazing amp. I would most likely buy a different amp, because I don't have 330 dollars just lying around, haha. My favorite feature it the mid-scoop. It just makes the amp sound so much more like a bottom end amp. LIke I said above, I wish it had an analog distortion channel. I don't like digital. the only thing I don't like about it is that I wouldn't be able to use it as a head and cab, and just add another cab on the bottom. That would be pretty awesome if I do say so myself. This amp is amazing, and I reffer it to all bassists who need something powerful, but easy to transport. // 10

Rumble 100 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 19, 2008

Purchased from: Avenue Guitars

Sound: I play in a Ukrainian covers band (gotta pay the bills) and a punk band using a Yamaha RBX bass (the crazy light one, sorry I don't now the name), a Hamer Chapparel and a Fender Mark Hoppus and the amp handles it all with ease. The single channel and simple eq innitially seems like a restraint (I'm usually a guitar player using a mesa rectifier) but after some serious use, it becomes apparent that it's much easier to dial in 1 perfect sound and stick with it. The built in compression circuitry sucks, so do use a compressor pedal. The amp has one of the better sounds I've ever heard on a combo bass amp period. it's just a little "hairy" sounding, keeping it from being sterile and flat. Additionally, it stays clean till you push the volume up to 10 (I'm sure it would stay clean further) and sounds good regardless of how you play (though I'm not totally sure about slap, don't really use it). // 10

Reliability & Durability: I really do trust this amp. I don't play with a backup ever, even at weddings with over 750 people. I don't fear anything going wrong with the amp because it's well made and simple, there's really nothing that can go too wrong with it. Even after a 6 hour set, the amp is cold to the touch, that's just impressive. I have changed the speaker to a JBL after a car crash lightly damaged the original. The sound did not change and everything else in the amp did not need repairs! // 10

Overall Impression: As an all-around solid amp for anybody from a begginer getting a first real amp to a semi-pro player looking for something a little lighter than a full stack, this is a good amp to audition. It might be a little shy on features, but it makes up for it by being intuitive and just plain bulletproof! And, to top it all off, it sounds pretty damn nice! // 10

Rumble 100 Reviewed by: ccmetz2020, on june 23, 2008

Sound: I use my Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass with this amp and usually I will solo the bridge pickup for rock/funk sound. If I'm playing slap and pop though, then I will turn on the neck pickup as well. This amp definetly suits my music style, as I've already mentioned, it is very versatile. Not very noisy at all and it does a good job with keeping the sound clean at higher volumes. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp is very reliable, it comes with a five year warranty and I would definetly trust it at a gig with no backup. The amp has never let me down and I don't think it ever will. Without a doubt, this amp is tough and I'm sure it could stand up to whatever day to day things that you will put it through. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp suits my rock/funk/metal style and my favorite part is probably the versatility that goes along with buying this amp. I can get many different sounds out of it and my favorite feature would probably be the mid scoop. Overall, this amp is reliable, versatile, and has a great sound. It is a good buy. // 9

Rumble 100 Reviewed by: Duncas, on july 28, 2009

Purchased from: imusician.com

Sound: The sound is incredible! By just hearing it sounds almost identicle to the Bassman series, although it is only 100watts it's really got a kick to it and I can be heard above the drums, guitars and vocals at 3/4 volume, even cranked to the max it has little sound change and dosent fuzz like other amps. I use it with an OLP MM3 and it sounds great! I also have a heavily modified Encore P-Bass that sounds very good through it, it's got a mid scoop for slapping and popping with active/passive bass selector to get the most out of your pickups. It is almost noiseless at top volume which is great. However even with the bass treble and 2 middle (high and low) it still has a range of sounds that are very similar and has no drastic bass pitchs or effects. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Despite it's tough exterior the dials and imput jack are very easily broken, my guitarist snapped the treble knob off accidently, apart from that and the dodgy wheels it is a tough amp, it's been bashed around kicked over dropped and has liquids spilt on it. I would and have gigged without backup. You can easily depend on it to perform night after night and it has never overheated even when played all day! // 6

Overall Impression: I play mainly rock and metal and for that it is very much suited. I play a lot of Rage Against The Machine and Muse also and that's were the mid scoop really shines! I have been playin about 3/4yrs with about 2-3hrs a day practice. I own 2 basses an OLP MM3 and a Encore P-Bass I also own 2 electrics and some Vintage guitar amps but I prefer playing bass. Before I bought this amp I should have checked the power supply, it was made in the USA so came with a different plug than the English ones (I Live in England) if it was lost or stolen I would either replace it or save up for a Gallien Kruger amp. I compare this amp to loads of others from Peavey, Line6, Marshall bass and loads more however the only one that came close was the Gear4Music's White Horse range biggest amp which was close to this amp but lacked the great make and tone. I wish it had some effects and bass distortion but it was a great bargain at 208. I love the tone and volume! The amount of clarity even from bad pickups is great. I don't like the tacky red light, it's weight and the fact it has no side handles. Apart from that it's a great beginner amp for those Who want to upgrade from 10/15 watt an want to play on stage. // 8

Rumble 100 Reviewed by: Philly C, on december 14, 2009

Sound: I play it with 3 instruments. A Yamaha RBXA2, that's my bass, and I play my two guitars through it also, I have a Carvin halfstack for leads, but for cleans this is the way to go. My bass has single coil active pickups, they are Yamaha pickups I never seen anything like em. This dosent have any distorted feel to it, if you want a grungy tone there's not a knob on here you could twist it just sounds buttery. But throw in a pedal and you get the dirt. And it sounds good. I've done Live stuff with this, without a PA and it filled the house, and it retained its tone. Bass wise I just do straight ahead rock, and for guitar I only use this amp for cleans, or a mildly, and I mean MILD distortion like an electro harmonics metal muff with the gain down and tone up. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've beat this thing up, but its fine, its been very forgiving the grate is solid metal, paint isnt scratched, carpet stuff aint torn or anything, I've stuck it in my friends suburban and took it all over the place! Its easy to shift, for its size, has wheels hahaha. I have and always would use this on a gig. Never gigged it for guitar. But have several times with my bass. It performed admirably. It has never so much as faltered or crackled. // 10

Overall Impression: if I for some reason came out of possession of this amp for any reason, honestly I would shop around for another amp, I don't think I would buy it again. I actually have a Big Bertha speaker cabinet with a rlly nice 800 watt head, so if this disappeared I would probably get a marshal guitar amp or a Mesa Boogie, maybe a cool Fender guitar amp. Like I said I like my amps to have gain and reverb. I like to plug straight in and get a rockin tone. With my Carvin half stack I got gain all day and reverb to spare. But that's not for bass. Overall I like it, it is an awesome amp I'm glad I have it. // 8

Rumble 100 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 13, 2010

Purchased from: Shop's gone bust!

Sound: At the time of purchase I was using a Peavy Foundation through this amp, and more recently a Washburn WB66- both sound great. The amp is good for punk/blues/hard rock, and more recently for myself- funk and soul. I would say this amp will deliver on pretty much any style you require, providing you do not diverge from a basic sound. One thing I must mention about the amp is how damn loud it is! It is only 100w, but will completely shake a venue to pieces, especially through a good PA System. So if you are looking to be bass heavy and get your self noticed, this amp is perfect for you. I took advantage of this quality by using a Ibinez 'Phat Hed' overdrive pedal as well, which sounds excellent in playing stuff like Muse and Faith No More. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Humm. At first I thought this amp was pretty much unbreakable, as naturally idiots will occasionally knock your amp over or bang a guitar into it, yet it stood up to general gigging issues. However I do not use this amp anymore as it has something seriously wrong with the Treble, which various shops seem not able to fix, or indeed identify the problem. Basically it hisses badly, which seems to correlate with the treble when it is increased and decreased. This was a disaster for me when recording for an EP especially as I was a student with no money. You can hear the hiss clearly through a P.A as well as straight. I suspect someone has tried to run a microphone through it full blast when my old band was doing Acoustic giggs; yet they have never admitted it so I don't know. I would say the amp is reliable, providing you keep an eye on it! If the problem I have has nothing to do with miss-use, then I would be seriously pissed off. // 7

Overall Impression: To conclude, this is an ideal amp for people looking to step up to play giggs, and until quite recently has been well capable of playing medium venues as well. Basic but good. I have been playing for just over 8 years now, and this is the best I have played at the 100w level for the price range of up to 300. I only wish I could get it fixed! I would rate it at 8, but until I find out what happened to it, its staying at about a 7. // 7

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ American Telecaster Plus Deluxe Version II 8.2 Electric Guitars 10/07/2014