Rumble 15 Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 05/06/2011 category: Bass Amplifiers
Fender: Rumble 15
With 15 watts of power generated through its Fender Special Design 8" speaker and closed-back cabinet, the Rumble 15 will help take you to the next level of bass playing.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.4
 Features: 7.3
 6.9
 5.8
reviews (12) 13 comments vote for this gear:
Rumble 15 Reviewed by: GNR_Duff_rules, on november 15, 2005

Sound: It has great sound. This amp can get screaming highs and rumbling lows. At it's highest it deafens and shakes the place. Without pedals there is no real distortion. It can get settings perfect for strumming and even tapping, as well as the good old low play of jazz and the rumbles of rock n' roll. With my pedal (BP50) I can get some insane sounds. One sound can almost blast you ears, it's so high pitch while another is too low to hear but the amp takes these extremes. This is a great amp only with some mixes of distorion the the amp can't handle some of the handling noise (easily fixed with a Noise Gate). Otherwise it's great. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp handles anything. It has a hard metal shell to protect everything. It can take any sound you feed it. It is made to rumble so it can take the lowest lows yet it still takes the highest highs. This is an amp to put trust in. It can do live shows and even stand up to a 50-watt. The Rumble15 is one of the most reliable amps ever. // 10

Overall Impression: I am totally satisfied by this amp. For the price your practically wripping Fender off! For the watts it is a monster. It towers above others in it's class. This amp suits my high playing style (funny because I's made to extra low). It will definitly please those lokking for a jazz or rock amp. It it where bigger it would rule stages everywhere. I was very impressed by piece of equipment. // 10

Rumble 15 Reviewed by: Gmp211, on march 26, 2007

Purchased from: TR Music

Sound: The sound is meh. I go crazy trying to find a tone on this amp. The controls are so jumpy and each control has a different effect. Turn treble all the way up and then the volume will raise, then turn bass up and the volume is hard to hear, very frustrating! // 2

Reliability & Durability: It is quite durable, with rubber corners and a solid handle. One downside is that the lip does not go over the controls, so if someone brushes up against the amp, your tone is going to be screwed up. But other then that, very durable. I take this to may dad's house, and it gets tossed around quite a bit. But, you will rarely need to maintain it. I just tighten the screws every know and then. // 6

Overall Impression: It's an alright practive amp with an annoying buzz. The buzz does fade away, but you have to play with controls sometimes. It is very tough, and good for a backstage amp. However, I would not recomend it to anyone at all. I play a lot of different types of music, and it is hard to get a tone out of this amp. I wish I had bought a Crate or better Fender, but I screwed up, I like the detachable power cord, but that is it. So if it were up to me, I would tell you to get something else. More like a Crate 15 watt, or save upi for something better. // 4

Rumble 15 Reviewed by: Martin259, on april 10, 2008

Sound: I'm playing with an Ibanez Soundgear GSR200, A Zoom B2.1U effects pedal. The amp really suits my style, I love the treble on it and middle, to me nothing beats a great treble sound and this amp has that great sound and tone. It is a bit noisy when you use to CD-in feature, but overall, its sound is great. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have never been in a band before, so I wouldn't know if I would use it at a gig or not. The amp is tough, when I was taking it out of the car I dropped the heavy amp, there's no sign of any damage, it still looks like I just got it. Which is a good thing because I end up breaking everything. // 10

Overall Impression: Playing a lot of funk and a bit of alternitve rock, I have to say this is a good match for my style, I've played since Sept 2006 and play with a Ibanez Soundgear GSR200, a Zoom B2.1U effects pedal. It's a good match. I htried out this amp when I got it, I loved the tone and the CD feature, and that's what made me want this amp, and it's affordable. I don't see what else this amp could have, it's great for beginners I feel, although I'm in my second year of playing, I love this amp and recommend it! // 9

Rumble 15 Reviewed by: krymson, on august 15, 2006

Sound: This amp is ussually used with a Yamaha bass which on a low volume you can get decent tones. I play metal and and on a low volume it suits me fine. On the other hand when it's turned up too loud the sound sounds like it's ratelling on any setting. The sound doesn't have much of a variety either. This of course doesn't not have distorion on it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Deespote the fact it may not have a versitile sound, it's built like a brick, which is good. This amp has never broken down or anything and I've had it for about a year now and have never had any problemes at all I wouldn't use this at a gig however, because it's just not loud enough. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this amp is meant to be a starter amp and is for nothing other than praticaing. It's built very well so you don't have to worry about it breaking, it doesn't have much variety, and it's rattles when it's turned of to high. I mostly use this amp at night when my parent are asleep and use the headphone jack wich is probably the most usefull thing about the amp. // 7

Rumble 15 Reviewed by: (...), on february 17, 2007

Purchased from: World of Music

Sound: I run either a Fender p bass or an Epiphone embassy through this amp. If you have no other amp and use this one for performances, than only play in a smaller enclosed area. If you play outside or in a big area, the sound will be lost. Like most other amps, this amp can shake stuff. Of course it won't knock stuff over because it is only 15 watts, but it still delivers. The sound is not really versatile, and there is no distortion. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Reliability and durability is great, probably the best part about this amp. I use this without a backup when I play with my school band because if it broke, it would not be that big of a deal. I have a trombone player always mirroring my part. It has never broken down, even though it goes through some abuse. // 9

Overall Impression: This amp is an okay match for metal, hard rock or for any type of rock. It is better when you play music that is more subtle since it isn't that loud. It it was stolen, I would probably buy a more expensive and louder amp because I am getting to the point where I will play more gigs. Maybe a 100 watt or something like that. It has the basic features, and that is all that I really need. I ended up getting this amp because it came with a bass starter pack. Don't get me wrong, this is a good starter amp. // 8

Rumble 15 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 09, 2006

Sound: I use a P-Bass with it and it gets a lot of feedback. It's not the guitar 'cause it sounds fine on a larger amp. But I guess that's the prize that you pay for. The feedback gets higher as you put the treble on the eq up. The EQ is 3-channel so it definitely gets a lot of differnt range of sounds. I can get it to have distortion when I put the volume to 3/4 but it sounds like I'm gonna blow the crap outta it. For a 15 watt though, it's not bad. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I'd take this amp to performances if the sound were better. I take it to practice without a backup. I've had no issues yet with it. I've bashed it into walls, jumped onto and off of it, sat on it for hour. It weighs 28 lbs and that kinda gets old when you're hauling it all over campus. // 10

Overall Impression: Been playing for one year and have had it since I started. I got it in a pack & talked to the guy at gc before I bought it. If somebody stole it I'd beat the crap out of the guy or I'd buy a new one. I love the EQ and hate nothing. Especially the detachable pawer cord. // 8

Rumble 15 Reviewed by: f-e-z, on july 27, 2006

Purchased from: Johnny Roadhouse Music-Manchester

Sound: I use it with a Peavey milestone series 1 bass, and occasionally oput my Epiphone Les Paul through it, and it can handle both perfectly. It suits my style very well (old school rock/ alternative). It isn't that noisy when you only want to practice, but when you feel like battering the crap out of some tunes, it can deliver, especially when it comes to jamming, it has been known to drown out a drum kit before. The amp makes pretty much one, clean sound, and that suits me, the tonal difference is limited to the EQs, so if you want any more out of it, you'll need a separate effects pedal. The clean channel stays clean at high volumes, so long as you lower the bass eq accordingly, and there is no distortion setting. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this amp. I've spilt stuff on it in the past, and it still delivers perfection in bucket loads. The amp looks durable as well, and it certainly lives up to the 'kickproof grill' claim on the box (tried and tested by me and my very sore feet), it's covered in some sort of static carpet stuff that prevents interference from other sources (apparently) it must work as I've never noticed any dodgy noises when other amps are turned on near it or a phone goes off near it. The corners are protected by thick (I mean thick) rubber pads so it looks the part as well. I would definitely use it at a gig wothout a backup (if it were a little bigger). // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly old rock, and it suits me fine, the v-amp goes well with it as well. I've been playing since september '05, and use a Peavey milestone series 1 bass, and an Epiphone Les Paul, and some old '65 Eros, and it suits them all fine. I run a Behringer v-amp through it every now and again, and it almost feels as if it was made for it. If it were stolen, I would definitely buy another (although it is a wee bit high on the price). I love the fact it sounds good even when guitars are put through it (there's not the usual 'tinny' sound), and that it's soo durable and loud. My favourite fearture is the chunkyness of it all, giving it a 'stable' sound. I didnt compare it to much else, I originall only wanted a speaker cab, but ended up with an amp, but the shop (Johnny Roadhouse Music, Manchester) is great, they'll discount anything because they're not a profit profit profit chain shop. I only wish it had light distortion, maybe a distortion EQ. // 9

Rumble 15 Reviewed by: adam1451, on august 20, 2007

Purchased from: Long and Mcquade

Sound: I am using a Ibanez soundgear 4 string bass guitar with active pickups, they sound great, and can achieve almost any sound you want. At higher volumes it does become sensitive to a slight amount of crackling but by turning the volume down on the guitar slightly fixes that no problem. This amp has the power to jam in a tight area, and is also great for jaming alone, the tones are great at low volume and at high volumes. Overall this amp sounds great to me and has a good range of sounds. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can definatly depend on this amp to last me a long time, it is built like a rock. If it was loud enough and I was the bas player I would use this at a gig without a backup because I can tell it is never going to blow or break anytime. All the knobs are very tight, the input jacks are very tight as well, the power Switch is tight, nothing is loose or breakable. Very well built. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal through this amp, and it definatly delivers. I have been playing guitar for 16 months, just got this amp and an Ibanez soundgear bass yesterday (August 17, 2007). Because of my skills on guitar I can play bass great, I could be a bass player but my true heart is at guitar. I love How the features are very simple and easily deliver a good sound, their isnt to much I hate about it, it looks great sounds great, built great. I compared this to another amp at Long and Mcquade, and this one blew it away, The other was a 10 watt I believe, and the sound was very crackly, then I tried this baby out and it was clean as could be. Overall this is a very good amp to start out on, and is also good for jamming in a tight room, and is perfect for practice. // 9

Rumble 15 Reviewed by: l0rd0ct0d0rk, on april 14, 2008

Sound: I use this bass amp with my only bass I have, at this time, the Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio. This bass amp has only one volume knob, and it has 3 tone knobs; treble, mid, and bass. It supports my variety of music genres rather well (I play anything from country to metal to old rock). I use my guitar pedal to give it my own sound. It doesn't give me feedback at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I use it without a backup in the cowboy church band. It has oversized protective corners, and it is very durable for a starter's amp. It hasn't broken down yet. It doesn't need a backup for what I do. I don't really neglect my amps, and they hardly ever need service. This amp doesn't have much power compared to the other bass player's amp in the cowboy church band, but it does have enough to be heard by the audience. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a variety of music, like I said earlier. It has a good sound for any type of music. I've played bass for about nine months now. I own four other guitars and a banjo. Two other amps are what I have along with this amp. If it were stolen or lost, I probably would upgrade to the Fender Rumble 100 with two 10" speakers. My other choice as an upgrade would be a Fender Bassman. I didn't pay anything for it. I recieved it as a gift. There is not much to love or hate about this amp. It is your basic starter amp. It gets the job done like any amp should do. There is no music store where I live, so there is not much to compare it to. It needs a built-in tuner, and maybe a few effects. // 9

Rumble 15 Reviewed by: cjlane, on may 29, 2009

Price paid: A$ 175

Purchased from: Intermusic

Sound: I play a Squier Affinity Precision Bass that was included with this to play through and also an Ashton ARSB-382. The Precision Bass uses the conventional split-coil pickup while the Ashton uses 3 Ashton Designed '51 Precision Bass pickups. It suits my style (grunge, classic rock) as much as it can, I get away with using it but it never interests or amazes me and whenever I play another amp it's very noticeable that this one is missing that 'thing'. The amplifier isn't noisy, but can get very airy as the volume or treble control is raised causing it to get relatively noisy. The amplifier can't make many sounds, it's either really fat or really thin and never has that ballsy 'twang' that a lot of people love about a bass amplifier. At high volume, the amplifier does distort quite a bit, obviously not in a good way, the very 'farty' sound you'd expect from a beat-up school amplifier. // 5

Reliability & Durability: A good thing about this amplifier is it's gosh darn durable! I can depend on it as much as you can depend on a practice amplifier, but you could almost say it's unnecessarily built like a tank for what it's made for, perhaps that's where the money in the amplifier goes. The amplifier has never broken down and I expect it to Live on for a while. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock and grunge and as I have mentioned it makes a passable match, not a good one. I have been playing for a year now, I own this, an Ashton ARSB-382, a Squier Precision Bass and some electric guitar equipment. I wish I had given thorough thought before buying this amplifier, but I was just beginning and would use anything, but I outgrew this fast. If this amplifier was stolen or lost, I would not buy this amplifier again, I would buy a different amplifier, this one leaves too much to be desired. I love that this thing is very durable and I like the feel of the control knobs, not 'cheap' feeling. I hate the sound and features of this amplifier and the handle grip is very hard to get your hand under. I have compared this to other products, the Roland Cube series in particular, which blows this amplifier to pieces. If I had a previous experience with amplifiers before I purchased this, I would of gone with the Roland. I wish this amplifier was 'fun' for lack of a better word, it lacks the happiness and joy a good amplifier should deliver. // 6

Rumble 15 Reviewed by: treble n bass, on august 25, 2010

Sound: The 3 band EQ give this amp a lot of variety, so thats good. When i run my jazz bass through this i usually have the bass turned up to and the mid and treble at 0 (if everything is at 0 and you turn the bass up, you can hear a huge difference in tone). BUT! Turn the Volume up past 5, and you get clipping. Its a bit better with a bass compressor, and not so bad with a distortion pedal but if you want lots of volume with this, you'll get rattling and farting sounds. Not good. I've tried an electric guitar on this though, and it's way better. For practising with a CD or something, its great. For band practises, get a bigger amp. Especially if you've got a hard hitting drummer. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Can't gig with this, no way. Just not loud enough. Unless you're using a guitar, then its alright (maybe this is better off as a guitar amp...) I like the carpet covering (I said this before..) but its got plastic corners. Knobs seem like they'll stay though. // 10

Overall Impression: I play garage rock, grunge, punk (think Nirvana) and alternative, and this suits it fine for practising. I think this is sold for about $AU250 by itself, so I suppose for the money its pretty good when bought it in the starter pack (300 for the bass, 250 for the amp, 30 for the bag, 10 for the lead, about 20 bucks for the other stuff that came with it - That's all more than $600 so for what I paid, that's a good deal). If this got stolen, I wouldn't buy it again, I'd get its big brother, the Rumble 60. I've played that a couple times and its bloody great, all of it is smooth bass. I guess this is a step down, but oh well. // 8

Rumble 15 Reviewed by: Molochnik, on may 06, 2011

Purchased from: GC

Sound: Like I mentioned above, I've been using this for my P-Bass, T-Bird, Bronco, and Tele. For my purposes, it's OK. No errant noise. Plain vanilla sound, but I don't really know what I WOULD like an amp to do at this point. The volume knob rarely makes it past half-way for my living-room practice. I did experiment with higher to full volume settings while alone one day, but there didn't seem to be the same amount of increase in the upper half of knob travel as the lower half. It got a little distorted, but not really that bad... But then again, I don't see much reason to have it that loud anyway. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Everything has worked on this unit from day one. The EQ knobs work fine with no static. As mentioned, the carpet covering will likely attract your cats, and the cats will win. It looks like the newer ones come with a hard shell. Like I mentioned above, I would expect an amp with less "gadgets" to be more robust for any given amount of money, so hopefully it will continue to be problem-free as it has for the last 6 months of (almost) daily use. // 9

Overall Impression: My wife talked me into finally buying a bass, so we went to GC about 6 months ago with no real idea of what to buy. The saleman told me that the safest bet would be to buy the Squier J or P-Bass playset as I wouldn't be able to get out of the store with anything decent for less money to hedge the possibility I'd lose interest or give it up for other reasons. I believe he steered me right. If it were stolen or lost I'd probably buy a mid-sized keyboard amp for the versatility and multiple inputs. There is nothing I wish it had, nothing that really bugs me, and for $99 (currently), I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if a small practice amp is what I needed. I give it a "9" because it simply works for reasonable money. // 9

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Jaguar HH Special 8.2 Electric Guitars 11/12/2014