1001RB-II Review

manufacturer: Gallien-Krueger date: 08/14/2007 category: Bass Amplifiers
Gallien-Krueger: 1001RB-II
The 1001RB-II has the same feature ser as the 700RB-II, but boosts power output to a level for larger venues. With 700W + 50W, it is capable of driving multiple cabinets with ease while maintaining sound integrity and response at the highest sound levels. Link it up to two RBH horn-loaded cabinets and you've got a full stage unit that'll rock any house.
 9.4
 9.3
 9.5
review (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
1001RB-II Reviewed by: musicology, on august 14, 2007

Sound: I use Godin basses with active EMG's and Seymour Duncan pickups for pure rock and roll and this amp thumps. The volume can go from 0-10, and I can't ever turn up past 5 (3 if I have my bass volumes cranked). There is a ton of headroom, and it generates awesome punchy rock tone. I also use my upright with it for jazz and it produces the smooth low end. For slap it can pop and plink like no other. There is a cooling fan on the top of the amp, but you can't hear it. The cabinet is a perfect match, and handles all the power without any loss of sound quality or distortion. The horn really helps your high frequencies cut through, but not to the point where they are bothersome. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The amp has worked like a demon, never giving me any problems. I had a bad Speakon cable that gave me fits for a week or so, but that was nothing of concern for the amp. The factory-installed casters on the cabinet were weak, and showed serious wear after a year of gigging, so I replaced those with some bigger ones. I'm pretty rough on my gear (bar gigs until 3 am don't lend themselves to being gentle on equipment during load up), but so far so good. The cabinet is 7-ply birch, and solid as all can be. The handles could be a little stronger metal, but that would add more weight, which I think was a good sacrifice on their part as it's heavy enough. An 8 rating just because of the caster problem. // 8

Overall Impression: I play (and have played) rock, metal, jazz, blues, funk, and punk and this thing delivers. I'm glad I dropped the money on this (although I did get a deal on it), and would have to go extremely out of my way to replace this if ever lost or stolen. The sound is unmatched. I did a show where a full Ampeg stack was house equipment and I parked this guy in front of it and played out because it sounded better than the Ampeg with an 8x10. There is a lot of versatility with this amp. I've been playing about 12 years now and nothing I've had (including the Eden amp I had before this) compares. I shopped all around before getting this one and it really just outplayed the competition. Don't compare it with their Backline product line, because the RB series has been their flagship line for decades now. It is a monster. If you want distortion but don't want the 2001 RB, they make a pedal designed after the 2001's distortion channel. I haven't used it yet, but every GK pedal I've ever come across has been a workhorse, so it should be good stuff. // 10

More Gallien-Krueger reviews rating category latest review
+ MB Fusion 8.8 Bass Amplifiers 09/06/2011